Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

Sherman134

Observer
My father is looking at purchasing a 2006ish Tundra, earlier today we started discussing reliability of Toyotas and naturally the Land Cruiser was brought up, however, I have been unable to determine which platform they are based on as they share features of both trucks. So, i figured it would be best to ask a group who actually owns these vehicles. (For reference I am referring to the 100 series of land cruiser)

Thanks, T

doubleroses

Adventurer
Neither... the Land Cruiser is the Land Cruiser. Not based off anything else.
The apple knows the truth!!! The Land Cruiser has been around for a long time. If anything its "What is based off of the Land Cruiser?" Which is the FJ Cruiser. The Tacoma came from the T100.

MotoDave

Explorer
My understanding is the current tacoma/4runner/FJ Cruiser are all based off the Land Cruiser Prado platform.

Current land cruiser and tundra/sequoia share some drivetrain, not sure what similarities there are chassis wise.

Sherman134

Observer
WOW, thanks for the quick response, I'm more accustomed to american vehicles where one platform is the basis for an entire lines of cars. So it only made sense to me that the land cruiser would be based off of a mass produced truck.

bjowett

Adventurer
Yes, the 2007+ Tundra, 2008+ Sequoia are based on the 200 Series Land Cruiser.

The 100 Series chassis was never used for anything but the 100 Land Cruiser.

T100 shares much with the 86 - 95 truck and 4-Runner.

2000 - 2006 Tundras are somewhat Tacoma based.

gkcarmory

Observer
Yes, the 2007+ Tundra, 2008+ Sequoia are based on the 200 Series Land Cruiser.

The 100 Series chassis was never used for anything but the 100 Land Cruiser.

T100 shares much with the 86 - 95 truck and 4-Runner.

2000 - 2006 Tundras are somewhat Tacoma based.

Haahaa. That sounds logical... I only say this because it's a t100 series and and the land cruiser is also a 100 series just with a J and not a t.

Still learning..... Though correct me if I am wrong.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cationmoted

Observer
No. Tundra is part time 4wd and 200 is full time 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is only due to the transfer case which for the most part is interchangeable. All the 5.7 motors in the yota line up have similar drivetrain setups. Although it would be Interesting to know to what extent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles