Is the Tacoma enough truck?

Slopoktj

NooB
It comes down to what you really want to used it for and if you have the skill to get the big trucks where you want to go. And if you have the money to Modify it make life easier. HAHA

leman

Adventurer
Wow this post turned into a crap storm haha. I think I've almost decided to keep the Tacoma for now. Focus more on taking back roads and try to enjoy the trip more than just the destination. Still have access to a truck big enough for the tractor. Is it ideal? Not really, but at this point I'm just not willing to give up the Tacoma for a bigger truck and spend more money (insurance, registration, maintenance, etc)

Thanks for all the response everyone!

Clutch

<---Pass
Wow this post turned into a crap storm haha.

5131388068_742541ce94_b.jpg

jasmtis

Cargo space is nearly the same, but however...my 6' Wildernest won't fit...so right from the get go...those DCSB are useless to me. :D:p;) Even if I didn't have a Wildernest and only did a camper shell, I can't sleep in the bed of the truck under the topper...and no, those tent extension things aren't an option, nor are the GFC, Vagabond, or OVRLND camper on that small of a bed. For that kind of coin ($10K) for a camper I want some room to move about and hang out in when the weather is terrible outside. Did a 3 day pouring down rain (like buckets coming down) this past spring in the Wildernest...no way would I want anything smaller. It might be a leaky SOB...but it is a roomy leaky SOB. A simple tarp kept it mostly dry that weekend, just the edges of the mattress got wet. That is when I moved my cooking setup to the inside...it was waaay too miserable outside, the rain was blowing sideways for cripes-sake! That is when I decided..."hey I kinda like having the kitchen on the inside of the camper". Which got me thinking...this is good, it works...but this setup could be a little bigger...and down the rabbit hole I go! :)

Even if Dave showed us those stubby bed HiLuxes from overseas, and Toyota sells a ********-ton of them. Doesn't mean I have to like them. I mean...the Kardashians and Justin Bieber are popular...Tacoma DCSB's are popular....not trying to judge people, but...

I don't see the point of them...you might as well get a SUV. Which I have one of those too.

DCSB doesn't solve any problems...it actually creates them for my needs. Why I think they **********' dumb, much like the Kardashians and the Biebs...and yes, I did just compare the DCSB Taco to them.... :D:):D

It's funny, I really like the idea of a GFC or Vagabond for the reasons you don't. I never really spend any time in my tent besides when I'm asleep so as far as when I'm conscious it seems like I'm only ever setting it up or putting it away. Add that to lots of aggressive Friday travel schedules and I'm tired of setting it up in the dark. I want to get there, undo two latches and be ready to go to bed. In the morning I want to close it and leave. Stuff I use a lot on the trail goes in the back seat. Recovery gear/tools/backup camping gear goes in a couple boxes in the bed against the cab. Finally get myself a decent cooler and something besides a Jetboil to cook with and have that in a well organized box towards the back that I can either rotate out to cook on the tailgate or in so I can cook inside and a spot to sit opposite of that(so, I guess the cooler). A smaller space with less fabric is also much easier to keep warm when camping in ski resort parking lots. The price is a hard pill to swallow... But a Tacoma + GFC or Vagabond actually costs you pretty much the same as the extra you'd need to pay for a comparable 4Runner + a rooftop tent and you're getting a much nicer setup in the end. Anddd this winter I'll probably end up mostly sleeping in the back of my beater SUV that cost a tenth of my Tacoma soooo shutup.

They do! After working with the public for years...have come to the conclusion that everyone hates everybody else. Do you know what the number one thing people complain about is?

It is other people...

Yeah, mostly easy to get away. Why I chose to ride during the weekdays and not the weekends (and why I love camping on the shoulder months)...less encounters with knuckleheads.

Even mountain biker vs. mountain biker...popular spot here is the Ridge to Rivers trail system. Downhill bikers are supposed to yeild to climbers...I have yet to witness any downhiller yielding to me while I am climbing. That said, always thought it should be the other way around, as it easier for the climber to stop, plus keeps downhillers from skidding more, which is bad for the trails.

This is why I like keeping things short wheelbase and capable. Half the time when I get to a trailhead some people I don't want to hang out with have their fifth wheel, F350 and Polaris SxS that cost as much as my truck parked there, generators buzzing away. 10 miles in some high clearance roads, all the people are gone.

dman93

Adventurer
Seems like there’s two kinds of people in the world. Those who think Toyota’s are old fashioned compared to the competition ... the 3rd Gen Tacoma is just a minor refresh of a 2005 model, the Tundra is an outdated overweight gas guzzler compared to the latest domestics, etc. Then there are those who think Toyota is building modern luxo-barges, or suburban mall-crawlers, and should just reintroduce the old Hilux and 60, or maybe 80 Series Land Cruiser, with manual transmissions and rollup windows.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's funny, I really like the idea of a GFC or Vagabond for the reasons you don't. I never really spend any time in my tent besides when I'm asleep so as far as when I'm conscious it seems like I'm only ever setting it up or putting it away. Add that to lots of aggressive Friday travel schedules and I'm tired of setting it up in the dark. I want to get there, undo two latches and be ready to go to bed. In the morning I want to close it and leave. Stuff I use a lot on the trail goes in the back seat. Recovery gear/tools/backup camping gear goes in a couple boxes in the bed against the cab. Finally get myself a decent cooler and something besides a Jetboil to cook with and have that in a well organized box towards the back that I can either rotate out to cook on the tailgate or in so I can cook inside and a spot to sit opposite of that(so, I guess the cooler). A smaller space with less fabric is also much easier to keep warm when camping in ski resort parking lots. The price is a hard pill to swallow... But a Tacoma + GFC or Vagabond actually costs you pretty much the same as the extra you'd need to pay for a comparable 4Runner + a rooftop tent and you're getting a much nicer setup in the end. Anddd this winter I'll probably end up mostly sleeping in the back of my beater SUV that cost a tenth of my Tacoma soooo shutup.

This is why I like keeping things short wheelbase and capable. Half the time when I get to a trailhead some people I don't want to hang out with have their fifth wheel, F350 and Polaris SxS that cost as much as my truck parked there, generators buzzing away. 10 miles in some high clearance roads, all the people are gone.

Don't really need to get that far off the beaten path to get away from the knuckleheads...didn't see a soul at the spot I was at in the beginning of the week. maybe 1/2 mile back in...and a view to boot. Heck, I did an 80 mile loop on the dirt bike...90% single track. No need to take the truck back in too far.

This is basically what the direction I want to go. Nothing special, more or less a plywood box on wheels...use a cot or fold down bed to sleep on. Just open it up and everything is ready to go. Love love my truck...unfortunately it won't pull it. Heck of a lot cheaper than a Vagabond, ovrlnd, etc...those campers are cool and all, but not much square footage for the dollar.

Cargo-Trailer-Camper-Conversion-Ideas-27.jpg

Or maybe even a box van, even though I hate E-Series vans. Am tired of jockeying things around...space like this looks very appealing. And still somewhat dirt bag. Used box vans are cheeeeeap. Though kinda suck for running around...trailer you can dump and use the truck for fetching and exploring.

Best-Enclosed-Trailer-Camper-Coversion-Ideas-1.jpg

Last edited:

roving1

I'll take a slight possible decrease in reliability in exchange for not having interiors that look and feel 10 years behind and severely lagging features and niceties any day. The interior of a Tundra or Sequoia looks ancient compared to anything made by the big three. And the switch gear and plastic just feels cheap. I just can't get over that. Toyota is relying on heritage to sell cars these days. That won't last.

I'm not defending Toyota in these issues but actually saying you would take a decrease in reliability to have a pretty interior is pretty lame. Maybe you should find a consumer reports forum to post on lol. I'm joking about consumer reports thing... But not on the lameness of the post.

leman

Adventurer
Well this kind of changes things

Attachments

• IMG_9877.JPG
    IMG_9877.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9878.JPG
    IMG_9878.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 53

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Most of the big 3's reliability problems stem from budget electronic parts and budget steering and suspension components (especially Gm's joints). Many of their critical parts are becoming more reliable than imports. And consequently, many of the import trucks are slowly getting worse.

Easy fixes, keep a fresh starter and alternator on hand and upgrade them early. Seal up troubled connectors with dielectric grease. And avoid the plusher models with more gimmicks to fail. If you do your homework well, you can get the right truck very reliable.

GB_Willys_2014

Great thread.

I have enjoyed lurking and reading. :)

Guess I don't see the point of herding everyone into fewer and fewer places. Seems like a hopeless outlook to believe we're barely better than cattle. I think we need wild places but the problem I think is our "wild" places are paved roads with entry gates, visitor centers, manicured surface trails. Yeah, IOW, the Edward Abbey railing against NPS. It's something I really don't understand. We (collectively) don't seem to really want wilderness. You're no different with your motorcycle. I'm no different with my bike.

BTW, on the Colorado Trail last year I saw the opposite effect, it seemed to me motos would rarely go more than about 20 miles from a trailhead where they parked so it really wasn't very hard to get away from them. I saw no one other than backpackers and MTBs for probably 80% of the 526 miles during that 3 weeks.

Edward Abbey would go absolutely NUTS with the current state of affairs.

For example, I can only imagine the (rightful) vitriol and venow spewed at the (dumb@$$es) who want to build an escalator to the confluence of the Colorado and Little Colorado rivers.

Carry on, please.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Because motorcycles and boats break down.

The best way to get ''out there'' in many areas is still bike, boot, or kayak. Nothing to break and leave you stranded. Doesn't mean that having a cozy expo vehicle two days hike away isn't still nice to have.

Last edited:

roving1

Most of the big 3's reliability problems stem from budget electronic parts and budget steering and suspension components (especially Gm's joints). Many of their critical parts are becoming more reliable than imports. And consequently, many of the import trucks are slowly getting worse.

Sooooo many people miss this. Well said.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Wow this post turned into a crap storm haha. I think I've almost decided to keep the Tacoma for now. Focus more on taking back roads and try to enjoy the trip more than just the destination. Still have access to a truck big enough for the tractor. Is it ideal? Not really, but at this point I'm just not willing to give up the Tacoma for a bigger truck and spend more money (insurance, registration, maintenance, etc)

Thanks for all the response everyone!

Don't you love the domestic brand fanboy morons who troll the toyota threads to try to force people to eat the same ******** they swallowed so everyone has the same aftertaste that they do!

Don't follow the ******** trail they are laying down, follow what you think is best for you and don't look back, it doesn't matter what gets you there as long as you get there!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles