Is the roof tent trend over?

Kevin108

Explorer
I think the truck-bed campers are now the new hype!
I know I definitely want to simplify and speed up my camp setup. Various injuries are bothering me more and more as I get older. Climbing around in door sills and standing on tires to install rain fly props and reinstall the tent cover has gotten tiresome. I've not get decided if my next move is a wedge tent, an internal sleeping platform, or a pickup camper shell. I just know that I do not want to deal with a trailer on the trail, even though that's the simplest solution for fast, easy shelter.

rgallant

Adventurer
Breezing through this thread again, seems most vehicles hauling RTTs are big enough to sleep in.

What happened to "car camping" sleeping in a vehicle? I mean, back in the day I took the seats out of a VW bug (not the driver's seat), built a platform with lids to store stuff below and slept in the car.

One of the pros about these RTTs was keeping a tent and sleeping gear out of the vehicle, then use a roof rack and a carrier box. Did I mention I didn't use a tent?

So now, we will be going this summer, sometimes taking the Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk, we can sleep in it. Sometimes the F150, it has a tanoue cover, if that fails, got a truck bed tent. Simple and cheap, all the pros of the RTT checked off. Better weather protection inside a vehicle.

I have several tents, 5, I think, and this year I don't think I'll use them at all. Probably time for a garage sale.

I have a motorcycle camper, a Roadman trailer I can pull with my trike or other vehicle. It's about the size of a larger RTT but has an area to stand up inside. About all you do is sleep in it, everything else is outside.

Seems RTTs are pretty $$$$ when there are other alternatives.

@Ozarker I used to sleep inside the Discovery and my Pathfinder before that. The issue became inside storage space on long offroad trips where I needed to carry spare gas. While I could pack everything in there it got tight, and I was always offloading and re-packing every day. In my case, it is partly self inflicted I like all of the load to be no higher than the bottom edge of my back window. I tend to go well out of the way and some of the roads are not great. Now my tent, load bars, and awning total about 140 lbs so my roof load is within the dynamic load rating and has a minimal effect on the COG. All up tent and load bars cost my 1300 CDN, so it was a small cost to me for comfort and convenience.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
@Ozarker I used to sleep inside the Discovery and my Pathfinder before that. The issue became inside storage space on long offroad trips where I needed to carry spare gas. While I could pack everything in there it got tight, and I was always offloading and re-packing every day. In my case, it is partly self inflicted I like all of the load to be no higher than the bottom edge of my back window. I tend to go well out of the way and some of the roads are not great. Now my tent, load bars, and awning total about 140 lbs so my roof load is within the dynamic load rating and has a minimal effect on the COG. All up tent and load bars cost my 1300 CDN, so it was a small cost to me for comfort and convenience.
I'm guessing I traveled much lighter than you do. Back in the day I had a Pathfinder, great vehicles, only had one trip in Texas where I carried extra gas, just strapped to the spare tire carrier. I too keep stuff below the back windows, it's safer and no prying eyes to get ripped off. :)

zimm17

Observer
My overlanding set up. In all fairness to RTT's, my brother had one on a Tacoma in NorCal and told me he and his wife woke up to a bear ripping open the cooler and popping his collection of Bud Lights. He had the muddy paw prints on the cooler to prove it. He was happy to be off the ground.
Jeep - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

concretejungle

Adventurer
I've really enjoyed my three RTT's over the years. they have evolved as I have better understood what I really want in a tent. Started with your traditional fold over, large tent. It had a lot of room but was big and a bear to set up and take down. Then I upgraded to the James Baroud which was a super solid tent. Quick to set up, relatively quick to take down, not too big; but I think was too short and too exposed at the entry points from the weather. Now I have the bush company Alpha. It's big, plenty of room, easy to set up and take down, rain fly's kind of over the entry points. But with all of these they are heavy and you still have to climb up a ladder.

Now seeing the truck bed campers where you can enter from inside and have all your stuff inside is very appealing to me.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Truck campers are definitely the latest trend over the past few years. I messed with an AT Habitat and a FWC in the past on a 3/4-ton and both had their benefits. The obvious drawbacks are running a full-size truck, the added weight/size, and most importantly the cost. If you want to go all out you're $60-90K on a truck, $20K for a flatbed and $30-60K for a proper off-road camper. Those totals don't include the build to the truck either. It becomes a very expensive home on wheels that has it's own set of drawbacks and yet still doesn't compare to the usefulness of a true camper trailer and typically costs more.

I tried the RTT thing years back, it was a soft-side, I hated it. Getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, climbing ladders, not being able to stand or even fully sit up in some, added roof rack and mounts, it just felt like it had more cons than pros. I've spent a lot of time sleeping inside my rig when solo over the years which I like but it cuts into your interior setup/layout and space. I had a trailer, I've got another one now as a project and they seem to be the best overall answer to my needs, at least for the moment. The biggest drawback to a trailer in my opinion is the added liability, added drag and reduced fuel economy and they can be limiting on where and how you travel off-road.

This brings me back around to a low-profile, hard shell, wedge style RTT. As much as I hate the idea, I am starting to warm up to the thought of possibly giving one a try again.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Truck campers are definitely the latest trend over the past few years. I messed with an AT Habitat and a FWC in the past on a 3/4-ton and both had their benefits. The obvious drawbacks are running a full-size truck, the added weight/size, and most importantly the cost. If you want to go all out you're $60-90K on a truck, $20K for a flatbed and $30-60K for a proper off-road camper. Those totals don't include the build to the truck either. It becomes a very expensive home on wheels that has it's own set of drawbacks and yet still doesn't compare to the usefulness of a true camper trailer and typically costs more.

I tried the RTT thing years back, it was a soft-side, I hated it. Getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, climbing ladders, not being able to stand or even fully sit up in some, added roof rack and mounts, it just felt like it had more cons than pros. I've spent a lot of time sleeping inside my rig when solo over the years which I like but it cuts into your interior setup/layout and space. I had a trailer, I've got another one now as a project and they seem to be the best overall answer to my needs, at least for the moment. The biggest drawback to a trailer in my opinion is the added liability, added drag and reduced fuel economy and they can be limiting on where and how you travel off-road.

This brings me back around to a low-profile, hard shell, wedge style RTT. As much as I hate the idea, I am starting to warm up to the thought of possibly giving one a try again.

You should look at the bush company tent then, it's about as high quality as you are going to find!

I thought, from my research, that most of these truck bed campers drop in? You don't have to convert your truck to a flatbed. They also make different sizes for different truck platforms.

I see a lot of these campers on Tacomas all the way up to full sized F-350 power strokes. Also, saying you have to buy a $60K-$90K truck to get started I think is also a little skewed. For a RTT you have to have a truck to mount it on? So are you using the same logic..... you need to spend $20K-$70K to purchase a truck, then $250 in load bars and then another $5K for the tent? Just saying.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You should look at the bush company tent then, it's about as high quality as you are going to find!

I thought, from my research, that most of these truck bed campers drop in? You don't have to convert your truck to a flatbed. They also make different sizes for different truck platforms.

I see a lot of these campers on Tacomas all the way up to full sized F-350 power strokes. Also, saying you have to buy a $60K-$90K truck to get started I think is also a little skewed. For a RTT you have to have a truck to mount it on? So are you using the same logic..... you need to spend $20K-$70K to purchase a truck, then $250 in load bars and then another $5K for the tent? Just saying.

I never said you had to buy new or a HD truck, I said if you want to do it right. Tacoma is over GVWR after a trip to the grocery store, add a camper and it’s over. Hopefully the new 4th Gen has a boxed frame and solves the low payload problem.

Flatbedsare are preferable for maximizing space and layout in those types of campers.

Simple crossbars aren’t adequate for load ratings when combined with a RTT and the weight of occupants/gear. A quality set of crossbars with 200lb load ratings (three minimum) or a flat rack will cost you north of $1K. Either way the point is that the cost of even your very best rack and RTT is drop in the bucket when compared to the cost of bed camper or off-road camp trailer.

Fishenough

Creeper
Yes the trend is over. Thousands were sold on hype and being part of the trend, wanting to be cool altho never using it. There are thousands of people wanting out. A bad idea that sold like crazy.

IF it is so awesome keep it and enjoy it.

Work had me in Toronto and now Whitehorse; in both widely separated cities many many vehicles spotted driving around with RTTs, as in my home area. Do wonder in the huge metropolitan area how often these vehicles actually get enjoyed. I only see them on my travels at spots popular on social media, visiting spots not yet common on Instagram you don't see a single one. I do think they will always be around, ones on Facebook market place appear to sell quickly.

Had a soft shell Smittybuilt when they 1st arrived on market, quickly sold.

Cons;

Filthy muddy dusty cover to deal with every night.

Peeing in a bottle close to my partners head in the middle of the night (that was her con)

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I strongly disagree with this statement, but for each is own! (y)

On April 3rd we got stuck in an incredible wind storm in Owens Valley area, 60+ mph gusts, and saw three overturned semis and a 5th wheel trailer blown over, and they eventually closed 395 to trucks. We went down into Death Valley to get out of the wind somewhat, but regular ground tents were still getting ripped to shreds in the campgrounds from gusts. With our iKamper SkyCamp 4x, having the fiberglass panel to windward, the struts locked down with high wind locks, and a paracord guy line from the ladder to the wheel of the vehicle, we slept so quietly and soundly that I thought the storm had stopped until I came out of the tent and found it still blowing like crazy.

Previously, I thought the RTTs with the fiberglass shell on the very top were superior to the iKamper style with it on the side to get better sun and rain protection, but now I think otherwise. Having a hard fiberglass shell directly to windward, is a game changer for camping in very high winds.

Last edited:

J!m

I think the RTT in general is a double-edge sword.

Back in 2000, it was pretty cutting edge- you never saw one on a truck, and I always had my reservations from the beginning about so much weight up high. But a proper pack helped this, and I had no issues with my series. And it was actually pretty nice with my rider (Wilson) and I working out a system by night three, where we each had a specific job- neither in each other's way and everything set up very quickly and ready to go for showers/shaves. Closed up stowed and secured the next morning. Almost military precision that just evolved organically, very quickly.

That Africa tent was sold, when I got a good deal on a newer tent (demo unit I believe) which also had the added room sides that hang underneath. That's heavier, but larger, and the material is better quality than the old one.

It is nice to have a bed all "made" and ready just by uncovering and opening the tent. No un-bagging/unpacking, moving clean linens around inside the truck when you might be covered in various filth. Check fluids, set up tent and then shower and start dinner.

I wish the makers were moving into 21-st century tech, using more carbon fiber and butted aluminum to shed weight over cad plated steel and marine ply. A lot of weight can be shed to make the RTT a far smaller compromise (for me anyway), than they currently are. The weight is of particular concern if you don't have your truck load space properly loaded for expedition- i.e. "empty" where you ride heigh rises and there is less "ballast" down low.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Totally, and don't forget that when it rains you need to open it back up (at some point soon) to dry out or else you will get mold - which if you live in a rainy environment (like the PNW) is extremely challenging.

I think a lot of people forget that ground tents, too, get wet and will require drying out later. Additionally, the ground tarp will be wet and muddy.
This is why I love our RTT. It isn't used often and is mounted on a trailer but when I do get to use it, I love being up high with minimal dirt inside and away from all bugs.

Now will I invest in a super large one? Nah. A small Casita or similar is in my future with interior walking and cooking room from inclement weather (i.e. hot, humid, freezing).

Gazza_C

Work had me in Toronto and now Whitehorse; in both widely separated cities many many vehicles spotted driving around with RTTs, as in my home area. Do wonder in the huge metropolitan area how often these vehicles actually get enjoyed. I only see them on my travels at spots popular on social media, visiting spots not yet common on Instagram you don't see a single one. I do think they will always be around, ones on Facebook market place appear to sell quickly.

Had a soft shell Smittybuilt when they 1st arrived on market, quickly sold.

Cons;

Filthy muddy dusty cover to deal with every night.

Peeing in a bottle close to my partners head in the middle of the night (that was her con)

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that final con sounds like its interchangeable with a pro

concretejungle

Adventurer
This past weekend reminded me about one of the big pluses of a RTT. I was at a music festival in NC called Merle Fest. It rained for about 3 days out of 4. It rained heavy! Looking down at all the people getting out of a wet ground tent, ringing the rain water out of their sleeping bags and all their personal items, I felt bad for them and glad I was up high.

J!m

That reminds me of an event up in MA where it had rained heavily overnight, and one ground camper ended up with a stream running right through their tent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles