Is the FZJ80 worth it in today’s market?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
$400 / hr!!! I assume that is somewhere in a metro California location?
Auto group owned dealer store front where they own all the subaru shops in 100 miles. Same issue with Toyota only different auto group. Even worse they manipulate the tech pay to peanuts so their skill set in their shop is complete trash!!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Auto group owned dealer store front where they own all the subaru shops in 100 miles. Same issue with Toyota only different auto group. Even worse they manipulate the tech pay to peanuts so their skill set in their shop is complete trash!!!
Don’t get me started. Had one store front show me adds for their other store fronts to justify their 10k over market value price “no negotiation” ?. When I said isn’t that your dealer store also they walked away. So they design the weekly adds across about 8 different dealer locations and engineer the vehicles displayed on site to give buyers the perception thats it for inventory. Hint its not. In several cases multiple brands and differently owned dealers all rent Parking Garage space in multi story parking garages where they conceal their inventory off site.

Its straight up Monopoly practices of a given region on a blatant level any State AG with 1/2 a brain could take down a multi billion $consumer scam if the Dealers didn’t hold so much political influence. My last Toyota I bought used, the private seller took three calls from dealers during our test drive!! His listing was under cutting their over priced Auction lot junk and they were trying to remove it from the market. This has been standard operating procedure for the last 8-10 yrs in major auto markets.

Ozark_Prowler

Yea, all those open C channel frames on Tacomas are totally impervious to rust.
First gen Tacoma frames are fully boxed except for behind the leaf springs in the rear. They’re notorious for rotting from the inside out. The steel in those is also known to be poor quality, so that’s definitely a contributing factor as well.

That’s one big advantage of Land Cruisers: the frames are made of thick, high-quality steel. It would take a lot to bend one or rot one through.

Arktikos

Explorer
First gen Tacoma frames are fully boxed except for behind the leaf springs in the rear. They’re notorious for rotting from the inside out. The steel in those is also known to be poor quality, so that’s definitely a contributing factor as well.

That’s one big advantage of Land Cruisers: the frames are made of thick, high-quality steel. It would take a lot to bend one or rot one through.

Cruisers get rusty frames too. 60 series probably has the worst reputation for frame rust among the LC models in US. Most of the problem with them is the from the rear axle back, all of which is C channel.
My Canadian 70 series was fully boxed as I recall. It had horrible frame rust. I enjoyed it for a few years before selling to an enthusiast who claimed he'd "fix it". Not sure how that ended. Short of a frame swap or some serious fabrication I don't see how it'd be possible.
80's can rust out there too, but seems less vulnerable than earlier series.

nickw

Adventurer
Don’t get me started. Had one store front show me adds for their other store fronts to justify their 10k over market value price “no negotiation” ?. When I said isn’t that your dealer store also they walked away. So they design the weekly adds across about 8 different dealer locations and engineer the vehicles displayed on site to give buyers the perception thats it for inventory. Hint its not. In several cases multiple brands and differently owned dealers all rent Parking Garage space in multi story parking garages where they conceal their inventory off site.

Its straight up Monopoly practices of a given region on a blatant level any State AG with 1/2 a brain could take down a multi billion $consumer scam if the Dealers didn’t hold so much political influence. My last Toyota I bought used, the private seller took three calls from dealers during our test drive!! His listing was under cutting their over priced Auction lot junk and they were trying to remove it from the market. This has been standard operating procedure for the last 8-10 yrs in major auto markets.
I don't know why the manuf allow dealers to add ADM to rigs....total BS price fixing, my opinion only, but I think they should get the franchise shutdown for doing that, they make good money as is.....if a rig has a big secondary market, lets the consumers buy them and take advantage of it, I've seen some of these new Broncos going for $110k + off dealer lots.....

Ozark_Prowler

Cruisers get rusty frames too. 60 series probably has the worst reputation for frame rust among the LC models in US. Most of the problem with them is the from the rear axle back, all of which is C channel.
My Canadian 70 series was fully boxed as I recall. It had horrible frame rust. I enjoyed it for a few years before selling to an enthusiast who claimed he'd "fix it". Not sure how that ended. Short of a frame swap or some serious fabrication I don't see how it'd be possible.
80's can rust out there too, but seems less vulnerable than earlier series.
Yea but the Tacoma frames are paper thin and the quality of the steel is inferior. It would take a lot actually compromise the structure of a J80 or newer LC frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior