is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

GTV

I just got done bolting my new 4wd transmission and j-shift transfer case into my 01 2wd tundra this past weekend. I got the T case for $150 and the trans for $230 shipped. I picked up a front diff for $130 and a limited slip for the front for $150 and manual hub spindles for $200.

I figure I will be in about $1500 all said and done with no electronics to mess with.

I still need to finish the trans cross member mount the new carrier bering, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and throw the front diff and axles in.

Sean

What did you go with for the front LSD?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I had an 06 DC for many years and recently found a cream puff 08 double cab (not CrewMax), and the 08 is much nicer. Way better turning radius (but less room in back seats), shorter nose, way better stock rear suspension doesn't need air bags as readily as first gen, rear shock mounts many times easier to access, brakes work worlds better, cab much quieter (no sunroof or power rear window).
But either platform is great.

All hoop options will clear the hood. All my armor is Brute Force Fab

This isn’t my rear but same once I get the propane mount. It’s high clearance where the bedsides need to be cut. There is also a standard rear with no cut as well.

a61d1aa7e7d41dbcbe870841a5031f1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey that's my truck :D

(Need to finish up the build thread....)

UpperLeft86

Best all around truck I’ve owned. Searched on and off for a year to find 4 door with this color/trim, low miles (62k), and with a new frame from Toyota thru the warranty.

Bummed that I’m going to have to sell it but would rather it not sit for 3+ years while I’m away.

View attachment 505350
View attachment 505351

I mean, make sure to post here when you sell it ... ok? ; I've been searching for that exact combo for ages.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Got a bit of a unicorn I guess a little while back - bone stock '02 Tundra AC 4x4 manual trans V6, turned 117k yesterday. Been a great reliable daily driver with decent mileage.

Love the manual shift on fly 4wd as well - used it quite a bit this winter, and it really smooths out the ride on washboard I recently noticed.

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Love the manual shift on fly 4wd as well - used it quite a bit this winter, and it really smooths out the ride on washboard I recently noticed.

Really? That's something I'll have to try out. That's my biggest complaint with my truck....I feel like it is atrocious on washboard.

tennesseewj

Observer
Love the manual shift on fly 4wd as well

Good find! My co-worker has almost that exact truck with nearly 250k and it has been extremely reliable.

Ironically the manual shift 4x4 is the only thing that's been giving him trouble lately, refusing to engage in cold weather. Perhaps the hubs are still electronically actuated?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Washboard - yep makes perfect sense but hadn't noticed quite that effect before - if you're even a bit on power in 4wd, really seems to tame the chatter as the rear isn't doing all the driving and slipping.

Transfer case - owner's manual says I believe to engage 4wd at least once a month? So there may be lubrication problems if it's rarely used.

SC T100

Adventurer
Great V6 4WD Tundra! That's the drivetrain I had in my old T100. The front actuator can get a bit corroded and sticky. They may just need to cycle it multiple times and keep doing that for a bit (over the course of a few days) to get everything unstuck and knock any corrosion loose. That and check for vacuum line issues as that is what operates the front actuator.

KTempleton

Observer
I feel like it's hard to beat for what it is and the price on newer stuff. Mines been a work in progress. I'm at 130k or so but it sat a good while before I bought it. The owner passed away 2 years prior and his son took a while to cleaning out his stuff. Need to do the timing belt here soon and get a bed liner put in. Then I can start getting my rack system and bumpers built. Being a double cab it's gotten the name Shamu and Willy since it's a whale and gets tight on trails. But it's still super comfortable and dependable. Just put in new steering rack w/ball joints and tie rods and got some tires put on and its riding like a dream.View attachment 513896View attachment 513896513897

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94