is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

All hoop options will clear the hood. All my armor is Brute Force Fab

This isn’t my rear but same once I get the propane mount. It’s high clearance where the bedsides need to be cut. There is also a standard rear with no cut as well.

a61d1aa7e7d41dbcbe870841a5031f1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found your build thread, and I've gone through a lot of the posts. I'm impressed, and I love how you stuck with as much factory options as possible. I'm going to be borrowing a lot of the info, as the build I want to do is similar to yours in a lot of ways. Did you ever get an MPG estimate with the plenum and injector upgrade?

pside

Probably not worth it to run every oil change unless you're really trying to nail down an extended interval. I mainly ran one on the Tundra to confirm it had a clean bill of health. I don't plan to do another one on this truck unless I change maintenance schedules or suspect a problem.

They can be used to confirm/adjust oil change intervals, detect trace amounts of fuel or coolant in your oil, signs of accelerated wear, and lack of filtration.
38b29942e0550bbd0e6b599c5b5ff02b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you for taking the time to post that, very informative.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I just found your build thread, and I've gone through a lot of the posts. I'm impressed, and I love how you stuck with as much factory options as possible. I'm going to be borrowing a lot of the info, as the build I want to do is similar to yours in a lot of ways. Did you ever get an MPG estimate with the plenum and injector upgrade?

Thank you. MPG didn’t change enough to noticeable. Mileage stay similar going from 32s and 391 to 35s and 488

Thank you. MPG didn’t change enough to noticeable. Mileage stay similar going from 32s and 391 to 35s and 488

The important thing is that it didn't go down. You did mention it being more responsive and "torquey".

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The important thing is that it didn't go down. You did mention it being more responsive and "torquey".

The just plenum swap was enough to make it more responsive at lower RPMs. 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is the sweet spot.
My tundra has 12 hole injectors and plenum seal

Sequoia only has plenum swap

Between the two. The injectors only made did a smoother idle. The plenum was very noticeable

The just plenum swap was enough to make it more responsive at lower RPMs. 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is the sweet spot.
My tundra has 12 hole injectors and plenum seal

Sequoia only has plenum swap

Between the two. The injectors only made did a smoother idle. The plenum was very noticeable

I'm surprised that the injectors didn't make a bigger difference with mileage because of the smaller holes and the increased atomization. Though the trucks can only adjust as much as the mass air and air/fuel ratio sensors allow.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm surprised that the injectors didn't make a bigger difference with mileage because of the smaller holes and the increased atomization. Though the trucks can only adjust as much as the mass air and air/fuel ratio sensors allow.

The problem with modifying the 4.7 is it is really well designed and Toyota didn't leave much on the table when it comes to room for Hp/Tq improvement...lol.

toyotech

Expedition Leader

Yeah I had high hopes. Even a 1mpg increase would have been appreciated.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The problem with modifying the 4.7 is it is really well designed and Toyota didn't leave much on the table when it comes to room for Hp/Tq improvement...lol.

That can be said about every Toyota. Although it has been dyno proven that long tube headers and exhaust system can add 30 whp

I started with a 2001 Tacoma Access Cab, which I loved until I found out about the 1st gen Tundras. I didn't realize how cramped I was in the Tacoma until I got my Tundra (I'm 6'4" and a big guy). It's a 2005 Access Cab, but I ended up wanting a longer bed that I could easily sleep in, so I bought a second 2005 Tundra, a Regular Cab to turn into a minimalist camping rig. Anybody interested in a nice 2005 Access Cab (includes an early spot on the wait list for a Go Fast Camper)?

Attachments

• IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 141581

I might as well toss my hat in here. I got a 2005 AC TRD Limited with 35k and no rust last october. Dropped a Norweld tray, Alcan springs and a Four wheel camper fleet flatbed on it. Just got back today from NC after towing a car hauler loaded with a ural and a BMW motorcycle. 11.8MPG kinda sucked but damn...I was 2000lb on the bed towing another 2000lbs. :D Check my sig below and follow us on IG
if you want pictures etc

Do love the V8 power. It's like a V8 powered tacoma with more room. Hope to get a bumper someday and an Spod switch thing for lights to deal with the damn round dash.

smokeysevin

Observer
Too bad it's not 4x4..

I just got done bolting my new 4wd transmission and j-shift transfer case into my 01 2wd tundra this past weekend. I got the T case for $150 and the trans for $230 shipped. I picked up a front diff for $130 and a limited slip for the front for $150 and manual hub spindles for $200.

I figure I will be in about $1500 all said and done with no electronics to mess with.

I still need to finish the trans cross member mount the new carrier bering, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and throw the front diff and axles in.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior