Is new 2019 Sprinter AWD or 4x4?

I've been getting conflicting reports. I was just at the dealer and he says all 2019's will be full time AWD similar to their current 4matic system and that the gas mileage will probably suffer just a bit. Anybody know for sure if 4x4 like current 2018's or AWD as rumored??

Choff

Adventurer
Info from the world wide net !!

2019 Mercedes-Benz claims the Sprinter can be configured more than 1700 different ways (globally), including—for the first time—with front-wheel drive, a feature being promoted for its cheaper entry-level price and its lowered load floor. A nine-speed automatic transmission is new and the six-speed manual has been refined, but neither the manual nor the front-wheel-drive configurations are available in America. Yanks will once again have the option of rear- or all-wheel drive and can pick between a North America–only gasoline 188-hp inline-four with 258 lb-ft of torque, a 161-hp turbo-diesel four-cylinder making 266 lb-ft, or a 188-hp turbo-diesel V-6 with 325 lb-ft.

whith

I could be wrong but I think that is essentially the same 4x4 setup since it was introduced here. Their 4matic system that can just be turned off and made 2wd.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That all sounds identical to the 4x4 system they have been using for years. To my knowledge the gas engine, fwd, and different Tcase options are not going to be available in north america this year.

THe sprinters 4x4 system is really a AWD hybrid with the option of selectable low range and 2wd modes. It uses a torque split center diff with electronic traction control on both axles. Reports are that it is fairly capable, and effective on a wide range of surfaces, including high speeds.

Yeah, I am hoping that the AWD/4x4 system is same/similar to the 2018 and prior (2WD/AWD selectable)... they guy at the dealership made it sound like it was a whole new system and ran in the AWD mode all the time... which really did not make sense to me??!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles