Is my steering box bad?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I checked with the big salvage yard in my area. They don’t have one but can order one for $225.
From what I can tell these ‘11 and later trucks have a bigger steering box and do not have a history of mass failures. I think a used box at half the price of a redhead rebuilt box might be worth it.
If I knew I was gonna keep this truck for another five+ years I’d get the red head but idk.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Wow, 225 is not bad!! I'd ask them to make sure it's from a truck with sub-100k miles and NOT a front collision. Other than that, I'd think you would be set.

Fair warning, on the earlier trucks, changing the pitman shaft with the box in the truck is difficult at best. If you get a JY box, you could consider changing it before you install the box, unless it's got less than 50k on it.

Good luck!!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Rock auto has a cardone for under 300, plus core of course
I’ve been mulling it over and I think I’m gonna go with this one.
The truck is starting to rust out, I don’t know how long I’m gonna keep it or I’d spend more.

1stDeuce

Explorer
FWIW, getting one from a junkyard means you can be pretty sure it was assembled by the OEM supplier, and you know it has however many miles were on the truck. Getting a reman means it went to the end of some truck's life, and was inspected, and got new seals and paint. OR it was a core return with issues that was disassembled and rebuilt with other used parts by some "rebuilder" likely in the Land of China. Good luck with those!! :)

I would say that a Redhead unit might be a bit more "quality" than most rebuilders, but you do pay for it...

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
FWIW, getting one from a junkyard means you can be pretty sure it was assembled by the OEM supplier, and you know it has however many miles were on the truck. Getting a reman means it went to the end of some truck's life, and was inspected, and got new seals and paint. OR it was a core return with issues that was disassembled and rebuilt with other used parts by some "rebuilder" likely in the Land of China. Good luck with those!! :)

I would say that a Redhead unit might be a bit more "quality" than most rebuilders, but you do pay for it...
The local salvage yard wont tell you how many miles are on the unit. Also they have to order it so its not like there are several on hand that I can compare. There's no easy answer...

1stDeuce

Explorer
That sux. The salvage yard here knows what vehicle it came from and how many miles were on it. I'd still go with a tight salvage unit over a reman. The Oreilly sourced reman we put in our brush truck sucks... The box in my 290k GMC is far better... Just my experience.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I got the reman unit delivered today. I took it out of the box to check the slop in it. It doesn’t appear to have any. I took it through its range of motion and it binds a bit in a certain spot. This does not inspire confidence.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If they set the lash right on center, it may be a bit tight off center, so that't not necessarily a concern unless you feel it once it's installed...

FWIW, the unit in our brush truck was also a bit tight, with no lash, but upon installation, it has absolutely no seering feel. You can steer it with a pinky finger, and it's actually horrible to drive at speed... There's a little torsion spring in there that determines the "feel", and this one must be terribly undersized for what it's doing... If you install yours, let us know how it drives!!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Well it sat on the workbench for a month and I decided to install it today.

It was a pita.

I used a new pitman arm and I must have installed it wrong, I think it can be clocked in four different positions.
My wheel is maybe an eighth turn off.

I don’t know if I can get the pitman off with the gearbox still installed.
I wonder if an alignment would have enough adjustment to straighten it out.
I could probably take it back out and redo it in a couple hours otherwise.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think you can only key the pitman in 1/4 or 1/3 increments. It's not uncommon for a new pitman arm to change the steering center by a bit. An alignment will fix it. Drive it first to see if it seems OK to you, and if it does, have them set toe, which is how you center the wheel. Good to go!!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I think you can only key the pitman in 1/4 or 1/3 increments. It's not uncommon for a new pitman arm to change the steering center by a bit. An alignment will fix it. Drive it first to see if it seems OK to you, and if it does, have them set toe, which is how you center the wheel. Good to go!!
Well the wheel being off center is a mute point now.
After driving the truck 90 miles today it loosened up and it’s almost as sloppy as the old box.
I think I’m just gonna go with the redhead.
I’m gonna do my 90mile commute tomorrow and think about it.
Hopefully I can return this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior