Is my Jeep too heavy?

dreadlocks

shrug, I got a 20ft intech and it seems plenty big for a family of 4 with two dogs..

I got married in GNP, rented a cabin outside for the family and stuff.. too much driving IMO.. I liked it better in the park because there's alot of great hikes thats gonna take all day you cant do if it takes half a day to get too.

We rented a cricket and then decided bunking with kids was out of the question after one choked on a drink and spit it up all over us in middle of the night.. then to our horror we realized how miserable it would be if one of em got sick and thats where we hadda stick em.

carlo muro

I guess I never read the 850 lbs. occupants plus cargo rating on the sticker. I’ve loaded my ‘13 JKUR down very heavily and then threw an XR650R on the hitch mount on top of that. Other than the headlights pointing up in the trees it did fine. LOL.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Getting close! I designed a custom wrap that I thought would look good with my Jeep. Hoping to take delivery in the next two weeks.

y4mvHJhA6wpFar783f2LYz3b4dH8Ou32P4qgsPM8c4jMQJoQ45dfjQ6qxG1HkWA7Q0_X31tYQeGISrCoDUh0T0tPZexNhAV9DwPTQyJ5wsIl9jUMuO21zL6co67nyGjXjEK9_er1MBHaX-wugSarXbk9bPB0ZY9VDyn9MWuhi_ukPvcYlOjcoH8gSj8a4F6QCSCfEhtsx_nRMhINHCzT589Tw

y4m4yURZJwXkLe4W1ChHeojuex093mVZqNzdg4kH76dpWZEeYmmFHeV6a530zyehU_zItLGN0GgvRfZ-au4xvvq63xMc6wYoHpoxEAT-UVXGtkWFtJAxAKUHwXcqb0l7C14EXvnPwnppKP0YYCRl9mExTRDKg4eVo8HH5-Pdf4ELlqufW_crBPNW5V9ijWp_8XBjzSLbCwXkQ8vQev6h47ydg
Looks good, and looking forward to your report on it.

ramatl73

Observer
It's a conduit carrier that I use to carry extra gear when I take my kids fishing and camping. I call it my "bazooka cargo tube". There's usually no room left in the Jeep for my own gear once the kids finish packing the cargo area . . .

y4mPtkNpkjd7uzX1l9HSt0DRy3ZEKNZL3kNCw1BBqzDDS8vVEgX5PIHdOQuXj5guHOImN6_R441C48kApLLybiz97exaaFBs_uju89LVspCxho2Aigeg9WFMRM6x8svKjuZZqGj5cXMvKCYoj2Fn-MpTtnaSzWoDA5Oi8KFF4o6Nt7LEuwP9525NNVoIilVZVrM1IF-4e_kuwlhVfm31NQR1w

y4mz1idoCYMwTx1Q-m0T2S1OyK6GfepPT1hbZot8SMIFwPCDCbp7tvS9Uz8kbLM-19l1R5shFtXfWRSyQPQYW9wNM0Zs3ara_J0giwfEu5bl9_2niGRXRgeynw8Bk_7W1sCRsNcPYvSdvUKOXGtLPyFRgmsi14ic0bpdW9F9SLkf3vRty8q1ecO-JIos2ymkySpZB3jXkCpALAGmZ55J7LTQw

y4mB_ViMYFCqe22qlINL6n5AkDEeMjadgC3TVkV8uldPub8fZ3FFvjv9Rh4dzo_O4ZuKfSv_G1hDewe26zrRNec0mzdXgrEkr40O9-jM-6qMLjIMeaib_evcVglHB579LkQA3KHlh9rECL96au3I16XGlXiW-dEA2R_HElxldfJzj00QuBgnHB3k8asSoqHIzuvFHVv5cCM9_PiOLRj1LjfGw

y4mhScro31UkE2Ph4DVwcaS_SoN82RGaM4b_IxSZ9ksP0poF7W34ng-NN9Yl37dzh2qhRCMepTRTZhK1OMgBVtJJ0kD9XliL_ZdX6NCPW4F7iLgQbZxaRTrwZwROlwjL8K9MeavkQ-GhYv4MGVYY6W53A3GQJaIgEQ3pBPgQzq3sxWR3c15c1XmX85TDRwPTSWFEBnseNq7F26ZL_mOsMD_eg
Time for a Gladiator. More cargo space and higher payload. JKs are designed for only so much.

When you add a RTT, gear tube, etc. your mechanical parts suck up the wear and tear. I would suggest either a Gladiator or a expedition trailer to offload weight.

We have our Jeep JKU plus my RAM 1500 4wd for the cargo. Also a trailer with the RTT and fun toys (kayaks, etc).

MOguy

Explorer
My trailer is just a cargo trailer. I don't take the trailer on any difficult or even kind of difficult trails.

comfy camp.jpg

shade

Roll stiffness, especially at the front axle, plays a very important roll in handling and rollover safety.
Not according to some IFS guys. Removing the stupid, worthless, front stabilizer bar is mandatory for articulation, and it doesn't impact safety one bit ... until it does.

1563813189528.png

calicamper

Expedition Leader
shrug, I got a 20ft intech and it seems plenty big for a family of 4 with two dogs..

I got married in GNP, rented a cabin outside for the family and stuff.. too much driving IMO.. I liked it better in the park because there's alot of great hikes thats gonna take all day you cant do if it takes half a day to get too.

We rented a cricket and then decided bunking with kids was out of the question after one choked on a drink and spit it up all over us in middle of the night.. then to our horror we realized how miserable it would be if one of em got sick and thats where we hadda stick em.
GNP is on our bucket list. We have an old family friend that owns a huge ranch that backs up to it. We would probably just stay at his place for GNP. But you can’t make that trip and not explore further. Ideally I would want to see Banff area on that trip also.
Yeah I like some aspects of the Cricket. Rear opening door, pop top / low roof tow configuration. But the kids over my head not attractive. Lol
I think a box in the 10ft length range and 5-6ft wheel to wheel width and a 3 ft ish high pop top section all the way around (not a tip up) I can easily rig 2 nice sized single bunks on each side at the top of the hard wall, heads forward. Tip up out of the way during the day etc. Then a side wall mounted tip down floor bunk for parents across the back. Ideally all bunks setup so bedding stays put when in stowed mode. The rear tip up wall mounted bed allowing bicycles and other crap to be loaded in the back etc.

The intech style front slide out kitchen under a awning being key part also.

Fast setup, solid bunking for 4 and functional toy /crap storage for road mode?

shade

GNP is on our bucket list. We have an old family friend that owns a huge ranch that backs up to it. We would probably just stay at his place for GNP. But you can’t make that trip and not explore further. Ideally I would want to see Banff area on that trip also.
Yeah I like some aspects of the Cricket. Rear opening door, pop top / low roof tow configuration. But the kids over my head not attractive. Lol
I think a box in the 10ft length range and 5-6ft wheel to wheel width and a 3 ft ish high pop top section all the way around (not a tip up) I can easily rig 2 nice sized single bunks on each side at the top of the hard wall, heads forward. Tip up out of the way during the day etc. Then a side wall mounted tip down floor bunk for parents across the back. Ideally all bunks setup so bedding stays put when in stowed mode. The rear tip up wall mounted bed allowing bicycles and other crap to be loaded in the back etc.

The intech style front slide out kitchen under a awning being key part also.

Fast setup, solid bunking for 4 and functional toy /crap storage for road mode?
I think this design may catch on. It has some of the features you described.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was looking at that one. Interesting idea. I still like the proven four wheel camper popup roof on a short height box trailer. Easy enough to have a insulated inside section.

shade

I was looking at that one. Interesting idea. I still like the proven four wheel camper popup roof on a short height box trailer. Easy enough to have a insulated inside section.
The AntiShanty (not a fan of the name) roof would have to prove itself. I'm guessing the roof panels would need to be thicker for truly cold weather use, and the seal system could create problems. Still, it's a neat way to gain a lot of headroom without adding much weight.

dreadlocks

once you add any fabric popup section you might as well not have any insulation, heat rises..

It takes the same BTU to keep my Westfallia warm as it does my trailer.. and my trailer has canvas sides and has ton more air to heat.. but its not just flowing out the top of my Westy like it was a damn tent.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah we won’t be camping in cold snow/ winter locations l, but winds, heavy Thunderstorms and occasional cool nights below zero not a big deal.

The lower roof height plays into trailer storage and tow performance.

shade

once you add any fabric popup section you might as well not have any insulation, heat rises..

It takes the same BTU to keep my Westfallia warm as it does my trailer.. and my trailer has canvas sides and has ton more air to heat.. but its not just flowing out the top of my Westy like it was a damn tent.
That's where the AntiShanty has a chance to shine, since it's a hardside pop-up design. Just have to figure out the R-value vs. sheet thickness and pick the right mix. I doubt composite sheet material weighs all that much for the performance it offers, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online