Is my Jeep too heavy?

G0to60

Observer
Great thread that keeps getting better. Next topic for discussion:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/high-capacity-coil-springs/

AEV product specifically designed for heavy JKU overlanding rigs. What do you think? I haven't figured out if I could even consider this upgrade since it seems to require their 4.5-inch lift package and mine is only 3.5 inches.

Update: I spoke with AEV. They said it is fine to use the high capacity springs with a 3.5-inch AEV lift system. I would need new bump stops and the geometry correction brackets would need to be adjusted. But it should work fine. But they warned me that the ride would be a lot stiffer when the Jeep is unloaded.

This is why I'm leaning towards the Airlift helper springs in the back. Up the PSI when loaded down and then drop the PSI when unloaded.

MattJ

Adventurer
This is why I'm leaning towards the Airlift helper springs in the back. Up the PSI when loaded down and then drop the PSI when unloaded.

How much of a hassle is it to adjust and monitor the Airlift helper springs if they are not hooked up to an onboard air system? Looks interesting (and only $85 compared to the expensive AEV high capacity springs), but I want to do my homework. What are the downsides I should consider?

dreadlocks

I had manual tow bags, aka helper springs.. for >50k miles of towing, just used a bike pump to air em up.. the valve stem cap had a built in tool for pulling the valve to empty em.. usually left valve partially open when not in use so I could change altitude or whatever and they were not going to do anything.

only downside was if I forgot to deflate em after dropping trailer off, would rake back up and handle like crap.. til I remembered to pull over and pull the valves.. install was easy, just had to take wheels off.

MOguy

Explorer
I don’t think it’s a matter of foolish or otherwise. We do not always know what the route holds. It’s kind of the point for us. An easy path can get very complex very fast. If a track gets too tough, we can scout ahead a bit and make an informed decision, weighed against our goal, distance from alternate routes, etc. and decide from there.
ANYBODY who drives and overloaded vehicle on any surface is foolish.

billiebob

So instead of running a tire carrier, any tire carrier, you put it in the back and lose cargo space? Seems kind of a waste of space when you can mount it on the back.
If you are going to quote something don't type in yer own words.
But first, look at the picture.

Last edited:

G0to60

Observer
If you are going to quote something don't type in yer own words.

Were my words not what you had pictured? I just didn't want to repost a picture that was already there. I'll be sure to do it right the next time.

About the trailer articles. I think if you plan on staying put for a few days then a trailer would be nice because you can drop it at camp and still take your rig to explore. If you are planning on hopping from place to place I see a trailer as kind of a hindrance. Dragging it and all that extra gear just for one night stays doesn't sound all the appealing. But that's just me and, like the articles mention, it really depends on what your needs are. ?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
How much of a hassle is it to adjust and monitor the Airlift helper springs if they are not hooked up to an onboard air system? Looks interesting (and only $85 compared to the expensive AEV high capacity springs), but I want to do my homework. What are the downsides I should consider?

I have air bags in the rear coils. They were cheap and in my opinion...worth the trouble. I had to take off the tires, release the rear control bars (not sure what they are actually called) and fully extend the springs (then you can push the deflated bags into the coils without too much of a fight. Slather them in dish soap before you start stuffing 'em). They keep the rig level when loaded and it drives much better. That overloaded "squishy" feeling that a JK can get in the rear is greatly helped by airbags.

They have been in service for two years (maybe three). I couldn't find a specific bag to fit my AEV 2.5 springs and had to do a lot of Googling until I found someone else that knew of a match from experience. Believe it was a bag for a Dodge pickup.

No leaks yet. Mine are plumbed together with a single Schrader valve on the rear of the Jeep for easy access. I make a habit of checking the pressure at the same time I'm checking beadlock pressures using onboard air. I keep about 15 lbs. pressure in the bags to level.

I put the valve here for easy access. No crawling around on the ground.

Someday I'll plumb the whole rig with airlines, an air tank and in-cab switches. But that seems like a lot more work than grabbing an air hose once in a while.

Ren Draga

Were my words not what you had pictured? I just didn't want to repost a picture that was already there. I'll be sure to do it right the next time.

I believe his intent was not to advocate hauling a spare in the cargo area but to show the aftermarket swing-out tire carrier had broken.

G0to60

Observer
I believe his intent was not to advocate hauling a spare in the cargo area but to show the aftermarket swing-out tire carrier had broken.

Good call. I didn't notice the carrier still attached.

The stock carrier is still limited though so having a better carrier with larger tires is a must. The Teraflex hinged tire carrier is a good option if you don't want to go with a super heavy cradle or bumper mounted type.

MattJ

Adventurer
That's the one thing I like about the AEV rear bumper design. The rear tire and hi-lift/pull pal mount distribute the entire load to the bumper, not the tailgate. And the bumper holds five gallons of water. But that doesn't help my GVWR issue . . .

y4mmkBqlfHiVzkAVXrz5OUuyieuwvGFqus__fZo3x9TbyxNmbfP2R5XWcRS8JgY8mEYn8zqvSGIowljIik8s2dN6fKUo3HdSdk72lXPuia1dHzYc3dVe7nNAcNOvSlL1-nmwuXf9H2o8MverOVl9UEJJIxyuqJINxBgYxlofCh4lQhDBTwacwEomfxaMq58FNMMkB7_aNlHxRuKTYeDj7ZEFA

billiebob

Great thread that keeps getting better. Next topic for discussion:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/high-capacity-coil-springs/

AEV product specifically designed for heavy JKU overlanding rigs. What do you think? I haven't figured out if I could even consider this upgrade since it seems to require their 4.5-inch lift package and mine is only 3.5 inches.

Update: I spoke with AEV. They said it is fine to use the high capacity springs with a 3.5-inch AEV lift system. I would need new bump stops and the geometry correction brackets would need to be adjusted. But it should work fine. But they warned me that the ride would be a lot stiffer when the Jeep is unloaded.
AEV is one of the best engineering companies out there. But I'd sooner keep their regular springs and add air bags. As AEV says the ride will be much stiffer empty, which also means empty you will lose a lot of articulation. This is the catch 22 with Wranglers and PowerWagons. They are built to articulate which compromises load carrying ability.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz