Is My Dometic RM190 Done For?

Nailhead

This is in my '85 Alaskan 8' CO, and the burner does everything it should: lights, stays lit, heats the boiler. After reading a period service manual for this fridge, I've established the refrigerant isn't circulating; the boiler jacket halfway up is hot, while the coils next to it are not. They should be an equal temperature, according to that manual.

I left it running overnight, and found the evaporator was chilly, but not cold, this morning. The boiler jacket was cooler and the coils warmer, but now that it's warmed up it's back to hot/not.

Is there any saving this thing? I've located a drop-in Dometic replacement, at a sum of money I'd just as soon spend elsewhere. Will the apparent obstruction work itself free if left to run? It does cool a little in the morning, so there must be some refrigerant circulation.

It is, by the way, near as makes no difference dead level in both directions (fore-&-aft, left-&-right).

Last edited:

Nailhead

I was cruising Amazon for replacements last night when I stumbled on a troubleshooting instruction in a listing for a stand-alone absorption fridge. Simply turn it over for 8 hours, and right it for another 8 before lighting it up again.

245f8c7e0687fce4aa9071c458e55fce.jpg

Why not? This is a Hail Mary; I have nothing to lose at this point if this doesn’t work out.

Nailhead

Inversion idea didn’t work, no advice here, so new fridge ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles