Is maintaining height as I add weight (armor) proper use of adjustable coilovers?

andrew61987

Observer
I'm building my 2008 Tacoma over time for off road camping (forest roads) and technical terrain, and will eventually have lots of weight in armor etc. Currently stock with a SnugTop Hi Liner w/ sleeping platform and mattress inside.

I like to build to my needs and grow with the truck. I'm already dragging my belly a lot on breakovers and getting hung up cross-axled on minor ditches so I want to get suspension out of the way first to help with that.

My concern is getting my ride height correct now, then being too low down the road when I've added more weight.

I've therefore had my eye on the extended travel coilover setups such as Icon and Fox because they are adjustable and add some droop, and either the Dakar or All Pro Expo leaf packs for the rear. I would like to go up 3 inches all around maintaining factory rake. Will I be able to adjust for 3 inches, then maintain that range as I add heavy parts by adjusting the coilovers?

Note that it is a 4 cylinder 4x4 Access Cab with manual transmission, if that matters for the weight.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It'll work to an extent, you will just be adding pre-load to the springs. It could get to a point where you are better off with a stiffer coil that's not cranked on so hard.

Adventurous

Explorer
Sure! That's the big draw to the adjustable coilovers. You can add preload to gain back lift back as you add weight. Keep in mind though that there is a point where you can't crank down any longer without getting coil bind and will have to step up to a heavier coil. Otherwise, it sounds like the ticket for what you seek to accomplish.

Last edited:

99Yota

Observer
You've got a great strategy and one which will save you 2 or possibly 3 suspension 'revisions.'

I tried to go inexpensive by adding spacers and coils and by the time everything was said and done, I had equipped 3 vehicles worth of suspension!

FWIW, I went with 550lb front coils on my Icons and have them preloaded within spec and I still:
1) Get my 3" of lift
2) Have a smooth ride

Fully loaded, I weighed in at 5700bs so I don't think 550lb coils (on a coilover set-up) are just for basically stock weight vehicles.

jkron

Observer
I did a similar thing with my fj, getting adjustable coilivers so I could adjust as I added weight. However, they currently do not have a heavy enough spring in them. It was great with no armour, but now I get serious brake dive and such with the arb and winch and stuff on the front. So if you do get a set, get a heavier weight spring to account for the future weight gains. The ride will suffer a little bit in the beginning, but be much better suited for the extra weight down the road.

steelhd

Observer
IMO the suspension (and therefore rides height) needs to be designed in the first place around the final weight/configuration of the truck. Armor, winches, canopies, tools, platforms, refrigerators, etc all add weight and screw up the suspension plan. And that's the problem...it all should be done at the same time but who has that kind of money at the time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior