Is KTM a good place to start

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have reached a place where my Ford and scout can't do everything I want. I road my buddies Tw200 last year and had a blast. I think a bike would fit in my plans well. However I know nothing about them. The people on hear are always so helpful I figured I'd start hear.

I love the look of KTM bikes always have as they pass me on the trail. From bits and pieces I have picked up it seems to be a love or hate relationship those that hate are never on one. A friend of a friend races and dose nothing but sing the praise of KTM while most around me say I need a honda or yamaha to start with. So what is the thought from those that will use a bike in the same way I do. I'm not replacing my truck just complementing it.

I should also mention in 5'8" 200 lbs and have some what short legs at 32" inseam as some bikes look wicked tall.

wildorange

Observer
It really depends on what type of KTM your seeking, it's use & leisure or commuting and of course fun factor.

Also take into account running costs

I went from a Honda XR to a 950SM & it's a hell of a beast for its engine size and weight class, but it won't suit all as it's not an all rounder.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I want small and light. My buddies TW did every thing I need just don't like the feel with the fat back tire. This would be my first bike and used as a support to my superduty flat bed and my scout. So I think a 200-350 range is plenty. I don't need nor want a big long range style bike they look cool but more of a regular dirt bike for lack of better terms with lights street legal would be a plus but not a must.

wildorange

Observer
The smaller lighter KTM trial/dirt bikes are very popular, even more so in Europe.

The Ex range maybe your target choice however no doubt someone else with much more experience maybe able to guide you better or even better still visit the KTM forums for expert advice.

Simons

Adventurer
Do you have a local KTM dealer? If yes, go straddle a few models and see what you like best. KTMs do generally fit shorter riders better. If you don't have a local dealer, I'd recommend for your first bike to look for something else that has local support.
I'm a taller rider and found the the XR400R was a perfect fit for my first bike.... That was in 2002, and I'm still riding it!

98dango

Expedition Leader
Local I don't have much a few hours away I can get any thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BrianV

Observer
KTM is for serious riders both in performance and $. If just want to dip your toes in, check out XR and DRZ.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
x2, he said it perfectly. If you're prepared to drop some serious coin on a good KTM then go for it. Are you looking for a street legal dirt bike or an adventure bike? Search your local CL. I bet you could find a good XR650 (which might be a bit big and heavy for you) or a DRZ400 in your area for for under 5k easy. Your state prob doesn't have the stingey emissions laws that CA does so you could even find a dirt bike you like and make it street legal.

I've been looking for a DRZ400 for quite a while now. There are tons available in every state and tons of aftermarket support for them.

If you're set on a KTM adventure bike then you might want to take a look at the new Honda Africa Twin.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm set on light and easy. My plan is to mount it across the flat bed of my truck and still tow my 5th wheel.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I'm set on light and easy. My plan is to mount it across the flat bed of my truck and still tow my 5th wheel.

I have a 2014 KTM 250 xcw and it is one of the easiest and fun bikes I have owned in a long time 220lbs ish and plenty of power, plated in AZ.

A

agavelvr

I'm not really a bike expert, but I own a few, gone through a few, and ride with a lot of people.
With that said, here's some advice based upon what you said you want to do...

If you get a KTM, go for a 250 xcf-w. They are under rated. I'm 6'4 and me + my riding gear is around 280#. That little 250 takes me anywhere I want to go including tough single track and extremely steep climbs. They are ultra light and have enough throttle for you to graduate to without the crazy power of the big bikes. It shocks people when they see it is only a 250. The suspension is highly adjustable and easy to work on. You will respring it based upon your weigh once you start riding with authority. Springs from Slaven Racing will set you back $222.45 or so :) That's about all you have to do to the bike besides add gas (which you will do for pretty much any new bike you can buy).

If you buy a new one soon, you can probably find a 2014 or 2015 with generous factory to dealer rebates. They can be had out the door for under $6500-7000 easily since everyone wants a 350. I actually wanted a 350, but the savings on getting the 250 provided cash to set up the 250 nicely. I would not buy a used KTM dirt bike with over 30 hours on it unless you know the person well. It is common for people to buy a bike to race, replace the factory plastics and computer/odo upon purchase and ride the snot out of it. Once the season is done, they put the factory stuff back on and sell an "low" hour barely broken in bike. If you do not know what you are looking at, you could be buying a bike that will need a lot of work soon.

Too much? A Honda CRF250L (factory street legal) or Yamaha WR 250 make for nice dirt bikes. Not as light, not as much bling, but plenty fun and power. Around here, it seems that many people have bought the Honda bike to dual sport them, riding pavement to trails. That wears on them quickly and they sell to upgrade to a 450-650 bike. Deals to be found in that department. Maintenance and parts will be a little cheaper, perhaps easier to come buy. It seems like I am always waiting on something from Austria the past year or so :(

Still too much? Surf craigslist for a 250 with wide parameters in terms of make and year. Snowy places seem to have lots of bikes that do not see the higher usage we have down here in the desert. It is highly likely that you will find a bike that is 5 or so years old for $2-3K that is actually in excellent condition.

Small dirtbikes are the way to go for what you want to do. Do not be tempted by the big trail bikes or the porky 650s and you will have more fun, especially when learning. When you get into the more technical stuff, you will be happy you are riding the small bike.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I still like the ktm but the WR250R is starting to look really good.

A

agavelvr

I still like the ktm but the WR250R is starting to look really good.

At 295 wet, I would reconsider.
A WR250R is 258 wet and more suspension if you want to ride yamaha.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
if you liked your buddies TW but dont like the fatties (i dont blame you) look at the yamaha xt250,,, its almost the same thing for physical size,, but it has a little more pep and regular size wheels. the XT225 may also be a good option but i'd lean to the 250 myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online