Is it worth to invest an expensive portable solar generator for camping?

Charley Johnson

In May or June, our family will go camping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. To make this camping trip perfect, we are adding one by one what we need and necessary. However, since portable solar generator is little expensive and I don't know much about it.
I know the more expensive the better, as like anker is great, but my budget is limited, how to buy the best with a limited budget? What is the most important thing to look for when buying one generator? and so on.........Maybe you guys can give me recommendations.

if you have experience in this area, I would appreciate any advise.

• Haha
Reactions: plh

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It entirely depends on what your power needs/wants are and what type of camping you are doing. In a tent with no fridge? put your money into gas for the trip. If you think you are “glamping” with 30 small power draws, maybe? More info provided about your travel style will get you more response than 2 “yes, worth it” and 2 “wasted money” answers.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
If you just want to keep phones and tablets charged, I'm a fan of the much cheaper batteries like the Anker Powercore I have, paid $25 I think for 20,000mah. Or the lithium jump packs often do double duty as backup batteries to charge devices, and you have a vehicle jumper.

If you want to run electric blankets or stuff like that, you'd want something a lot bigger obviously

1000arms

... I would appreciate any advice.
You might want to read the first post of:

emulous74

If you find you want one, why not make a post in your location area and see if someone will rent you theres, after using one on your trip, then you'll know if it's worth the investment?

TwinStick

Explorer
In my mind, there is lots of good advice on here.

My mind also tells me that if you are serious about this and going to buy one, there are numerous things to consider before purchase, as it can be a huge investment depending on your current and future needs. Just some of those things are:

Is it possible that you will ever want a 12v/120v fridge/freezer ?

Do you plan on being remote for any length of time ?

Do you have or plan to have any type of system in your vehicle to recharge it at more than a snail's pace ?

These are just a few things to seriously consider. If you answered yes to any, you will/should also consider solar. It helps you stay in one place, unplugged for longer periods and helps your batteries last longer if you don't have a good recharge system. Also of note, every single vehicle that we have had, did NOT have wiring that was up to the task - especially 12v outlet wiring. I won't mention the manufacturer but we recently (2017) had a vehicle that the dealer said it was fine for running our 50 at ARB fridge/freezer, but in reality it melted the vehicle wiring and was literally seconds away from catching vehicle on fire. Which is also the most preferred overlanding brand. I got burned trying to disconnect it. It was already melting both the 12v vehicle inlet and fridge plug. Luckily fridge is fine and we no longer have that vehicle (it didn't tow good anyways).

But since then, I always run 10 ga wire directly to the battery for the fridge/freezers. Never had a problem since and the wire doesn't even get warm.
It is getting more and more difficult for DIY'ers to do electrical things to modern vehicles. I can't even put a high output alternator on our 2019 ZR2 diesel Colorado. It has a "smart" alternator that I call a "dumb" alternator because it is tied into the computer.

I don't have the money to pay for the good stuff, like Redarc or lithium batteries, and certainly not the money to pay someone else to put a system like that in our truck. I made up my own system that totally bypassed the factory electrical system and it's huge shortcomings. It works fantastic for us. I am not an electrician but educated myself enough to do it myself.

Good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted please.

Reactions: WSS

67cj5

Man On a Mission
To Answer your question , Yes they are worth it, and regardless of what the industry calls them they have hundreds of uses, From camping to Off Grid Living to supplying power at a job site or remote location, as well as PowerOuts, As well as Aux Power from Vehicle to vehicle and RV's, Boats, Trucks Adding to that they have up to 3 or 4 charging options.

They come in to their own because you can take them where ever power is needed and are not resricted to being tethered to the house or a Vehicle, where the only limitations are the ones you create, I have been using them for just on 4 years + and they are one of the best investments you can make along with a 4x4 Fridge/Freezer.

Hope that helps.

RacerAV

You might want to read the first post of:

I HATE the phrase Solar Generator... it's not generating anything! But people are followers and we just go along with it.
I have a Honda gas generator, and a Goal Zero Yeti 3000x. For camping, for home in emergencies, etc... along with spare gas cans, and solar panels, I'lll be okay and ready for whatever. I can bring the Yeti when I want to take my eMTB out for a rip, or keep my (future) ARB Zero fridge running... the generator was more for my old trailer, to run the heat and AC while way out in the middle of nowhere. I hated hearing other peoples generators out while camping, and thought I need to have a good battery bank set up as an option. So did that finally...

It's fun, but it ain't cheap! lol

Adamo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles