Is it possible to calculate payload?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Rear springs on the 2017 F250's. That's it, add spring or air bags, and a sway bar and you're GTG. But I don't like a SRW truck to weigh over 10,000 anyways. I prefer campers that weigh less than 2300#. (Half ton rated slide-ins, LOLz.) 3000+, I want a DRW.

Any current 4wd crew diesel HD truck, 2500 or 3500, is going to weigh right around 8000# off the showroom floor. My Ram 3500 SRW has a factory GVW of 11700. The long bed same configuration is 11900. I think you are being really conservative with todays trucks. If we were talking a 2000 model truck, sure. The DRWs of that day only had GVWRs of about 10500. But todays trucks can weigh considerably more than 10k and drive easily, safely, and comfortably.

polishammer

Ford has payload listed for each GVWR in 4x4 and 4x2 configurations. Additionally It varies based on cab , engine and gearing, wheels and bed length, but based on your wheelbase specs you are looking at super cab so only thing you have to look at is 4x2 or 4x4 and the gearing. Additionally on Fords page, you can chose GWVR package that will get you close. Your payload for 4x4 with GVWR of 11,400lbs should be close to 4,600lbs.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2018

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
I must be missing something. A 164.2" 4x4 supercab SRW seems to have four listings: 4,420 3,850 4,620 4,720. How do you know it is the 4,620 one?

Dalko43

Explorer
Nope, GVWR doesnt always make sense.
But as you mentioned, a F250 can and does have a higher payload than a F350, especially if its a gasser.

Thats the exact reason I went with a heavy spec F250 gasser.

My 2011 F250 6.2 weighs just 6500lbs. It is a 10k GVWR truck.

There is GOOD $$$$ reasons why these trucks are "only" rated to 10k when the trucks are obviously built for more.
Hell, just going by axle ratings my little 3/4 ton Super Duty has a rating of roughly 17,000.
Thats 9700lbs or so for the rear Sterling 10.5 and roughly 7000lbs for the front super dana 60.
Wheels and tires, I'm good for about 16,000 at max PSI.

Also, for those that are interested in more reasons the GVWR numbers dont always seem to make sense...
Just follow the $$$

Pushing past that you get into Class 3, that is taxed and regulated completely differently.

fotw707.gif.pagespeed.ce._Kgpbxrp68.gif

Can you provide the specifics?

How much more does it cost to register a class 3 pickup (GVWR > 10k lbs) vs. a class 2 pickup (GVWR <= 10k lbs)?

FWIW, based on their GCWR (towing + payload) both 3/4 and 1 ton's require DOT #'s when operated commercially.

I do agree that the 3/4 tons are perhaps somewhat underrated. But they're the exception to the norm. Most other trucks are not over-engineered and underrated in the same manner. Also GAWR is not a license to exceed payload or towing ratings.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't even look at Ford axle ratings anymore. GVWR is the weak link we have to watch. All the other ratings are "space shuttle" unless you're a triple axle 5'er guy.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Can you provide the specifics?

How much more does it cost to register a class 3 pickup (GVWR > 10k lbs) vs. a class 2 pickup (GVWR <= 10k lbs)?

I pay over $400 for my personal 3500 registration annually. I just got the renewal for my wife's Expedition which would be equal to a half ton truck and it is like $57 for either 2 or 4 years, i can't remember. This is in Louisiana. So while it is not huge dollars, the difference in registration fees is substantial.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Your truck will be either a 11,500 or 11,400 GVWR. Subtract the weight of the truck from that, and that’s your payload capacity. I have a 17’ F-350 SRW long bed diesel crew, and my payload is 3300 lbs. A super cab gasser with either XL or XLT should be well above 4000 lbs, and closer to 4600-4800 would be my guess.

I saw your post earlier saying the diesel option was 500 additional lbs, but that’s not my experience. I’ve seen identically equipped 250s down to every option but the motor, and the difference was roughly 700-750 lbs. That could be some additional weight of the 6R140 on the diesel vs the 6R100 on the gasser though. Also the weight of emissions components.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I paid $77 to register my 350, and just registered the wife’s 4Runner again. Also $77. Now the cost of diesel and maintenance is a huge difference haha Texas by the way.

David Trest

Your truck will be either a 11,500 or 11,400 GVWR. Subtract the weight of the truck from that, and that’s your payload capacity. I have a 17’ F-350 SRW long bed diesel crew, and my payload is 3300 lbs. A super cab gasser with either XL or XLT should be well above 4000 lbs, and closer to 4600-4800 would be my guess.

I saw your post earlier saying the diesel option was 500 additional lbs, but that’s not my experience. I’ve seen identically equipped 250s down to every option but the motor, and the difference was roughly 700-750 lbs. That could be some additional weight of the 6R140 on the diesel vs the 6R100 on the gasser though. Also the weight of emissions components.
GVWR minus curb/kerb weight, since that also takes into account full fluid levels (or should). Normal vehicle weight assumes a driver and a few other things; curb weight is purely empty but all fluids filled (usually).

I paid $77 to register my 350, and just registered the wife’s 4Runner again. Also $77. Now the cost of diesel and maintenance is a huge difference haha Texas by the way.
I think Texas does more on age/condition of vehicle...my little Hyundai Elantra is about $80 for a year, obviously a far cry from either the 4Runner or 350's weight.

tacomabill

I have often wondered about the accuracy of the GVWR, GAWR. If a manufacturer falsifies those numbers are they breaking any law? Is there any independent verification of them?

RoyJ

Adventurer
I have often wondered about the accuracy of the GVWR, GAWR. If a manufacturer falsifies those numbers are they breaking any law? Is there any independent verification of them?

Well, since the OEM engineers are the ones speccing it, it's hard to prove they "falsify" something.

However, many OEM ratings are strictly marketing driven. Case in point: how does a Ram HD with 6.4 have a much higher payload (and GVW) than a 5.7 variant? The frame, axles, brakes, are identical. Engine, transmission, and diff ratio limits TOWING, not payload capacity.

As an engineer (ME) myself, I'd have zero issues acting as subject matter expert witness in court, if someone crashed a 5.7 Ram HD, while under the GVW of a 6.4. I'd challenge any OEM engineer to show me a vehicle dynamics model, proving that an engine with 0.7L extra displacement could somehow prevent such an accident.

Axle, suspension, brakes, and frame, sure, these are safety components that dictate a certain GVW. Not engine or transmission.

Dalko43

Explorer
Well, since the OEM engineers are the ones speccing it, it's hard to prove they "falsify" something.

However, many OEM ratings are strictly marketing driven. Case in point: how does a Ram HD with 6.4 have a much higher payload (and GVW) than a 5.7 variant? The frame, axles, brakes, are identical. Engine, transmission, and diff ratio limits TOWING, not payload capacity.

As an engineer (ME) myself, I'd have zero issues acting as subject matter expert witness in court, if someone crashed a 5.7 Ram HD, while under the GVW of a 6.4. I'd challenge any OEM engineer to show me a vehicle dynamics model, proving that an engine with 0.7L extra displacement could somehow prevent such an accident.

Axle, suspension, brakes, and frame, sure, these are safety components that dictate a certain GVW. Not engine or transmission.

I think the de-rate for the 5.7l has more to do with what the engine itself is capable of (towing and payload) and less to do what the underlying chassis can safely handle. That's a different topic all together, though arguably those engine considerations do factor into the payload and towing ratings, especially now that all the big OEM's abide by SAE testing standards for developing those ratings.

It's already been discussed in other threads that the 3/4 and 1 ton family of trucks are the exception to the norm in that there are some versions that are in fact underrated. All those F-250/350’s, Ram/GM 2500/3500’s share most of the same chassis components (with some exceptions) but are equipped with different suspension and engine options that are tailored to certain payload/towing requirements.

RoyJ

Adventurer
I think the de-rate for the 5.7l has more to do with what the engine itself is capable of (towing and payload) and less to do what the underlying chassis can safely handle. That's a different topic all together, though arguably those engine considerations do factor into the payload and towing ratings, especially now that all the big OEM's abide by SAE testing standards for developing those ratings.

I can totally see how the 5.7 Hemi can cause a reduction in towing capacity - it generates less tractive effort than the 6.4 at any given road speed.

But how does that limit payload!? The engine and transmission itself can't tell if they're towing or hauling a load. If a 5.7 can tow 10k lbs, how does it struggle at 4k lbs payload? The resistance offered by 4k lbs in the bed is far less than 10k lbs behind the hitch.

The diesel's reduction in payload I get - it's much heavier than the smallblocks. But a 5.7 weighs less than a 6.4...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94