Is it impossible to convert an Isuzu NPR with a wheelbase of 109" to 4x4 plus super single?

saintnomad

Hey guys,

When I search 'Isuzu NPR 4x4' here and on google, I only see the 4x4 converted NPRs with wheelbases of 132.5" or 150". Is it impossible to convert an Isuzu NPR with a wheelbase of 109" to 4x4 plus super single technically? If it's possible, does anyone know the company that can convert?

So far what I found:
▪Earthcruiser Core: They do only with a wheelbase of 132.5".
▪Rainbow Transmission & Auto: No response to my email.
▪Angry Iron Metalworks: No response to my email.
▪Monroe Truck Equipment: No response to my email. I guess they only convert Class 6~8 trucks to 4x4.
▪Overland Adventure Truck: They do only with a wheelbase of 150" or 176".

Thank you, guys!!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Wheel base probably has very little to do with being able to do a 4x4 conversion on. Finding someone to do it will be the question and the cost, so a longer wheel base gives you more value (length) for your dollar.

Dan.

carterd

Below is probably the 132.5" CORE. If you shortened that driveshaft 23.5" assuming a 109" wheelbase, you wouldn't have much left (maybe 18" - 24"). You would likely need a double-cardan driveshaft and then tilt the pinion upward to avoid adverse driveshaft angles. CORE uses a divorced transfer case (I believe because the stock tranny has the emergency brake) which results in a shorter rear driveshaft length. If you used a mated transfer case it would give you more length on the rear driveshaft. Angry Iron would probably be your best bet as they do custom work and have experience with this platform. Try calling them versus e-mail.

core driveshaft.JPG

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
As Stated Matt at AI is your guy but will only do new NPRs and new custom axles, case, springs, etc. If you have deep pockets, he is your go to no questions. Top notch work and is a personal friend.
Kevin

saintnomad

Below is probably the 132.5" CORE. If you shortened that driveshaft 23.5" assuming a 109" wheelbase, you wouldn't have much left (maybe 18" - 24"). You would likely need a double-cardan driveshaft and then tilt the pinion upward to avoid adverse driveshaft angles. CORE uses a divorced transfer case (I believe because the stock tranny has the emergency brake) which results in a shorter rear driveshaft length. If you used a mated transfer case it would give you more length on the read driveshaft. Angry Iron would probably be your best bet a they do custom work and have experience with this platform. Try calling them versus e-mail.

View attachment 650226
Thank you!!

saintnomad

As Stated Matt at AI is your guy but will only do new NPRs and new custom axles, case, springs, etc. If you have deep pockets, he is your go to no questions. Top notch work and is a personal friend.
Kevin
Thank you!! I will give him a call when I'm ready to start my project.

DzlToy

Explorer
Building a 109" NPR will certainly require a married transfer case. For a new truck build, this means "rebuilding" a brand new 6L90E, as the 4WD tail shaft must be installed through the bellhousing. So, everything has to come out, tail shaft goes in, then the whole transmission gets put back together so that a HERO or Atlas can be bolted onto the backside of the transmission instead of being divorced like it is on the 150" and 176" trucks. Your drive line will be shorter, but no worse than it would be in a RCSB pickup, two door Jeep or something of the sort. CV shafts are a great solution.

I was at Matt's shop over the weekend and he has one truck in the shop, plus another one waiting in the wings. I am not sure what your timeline is, but you could be looking at quite the wait. Any competent 4WD shop can do the conversion. I know that Red Rocks has done a single cab truck, so give them a ring. Leaf spring suspensions, straight frame rails and solid axles are about as simple as it gets for a truck chassis, but the ability to fabricate custom mounts/brackets, to engineer/design suspension and to choose quality parts from good vendors is what makes a good conversion. Nearly anyone can bolt on a junk yard axle and some junky springs, that does make a quality conversion.

RC Trucks only swaps the front axle out, leaving you with a mis-matched rear and/or wheels, and/or wheel spacers. For a landscaping truck used locally, maybe this is not an issue, for an up-market or custom build, this is a no-go in my book. You get what you pay for, as last time I checked with them, RC was charging about 12k or so, where you are looking at 3x - 4x that amount, just in parts, for a high quality conversion, such as those done by Rebel and Angry Iron. This does not include labour. Does it make sense to buy a $35k - 40k new NPR and dump $50k - 75k into it to make it 4x4? Not really. Are the trucks really, really awesome? Yep. :D

I would love to see a 109" NPR 4x4 with a 10' pop up box on the back. You could take that thing anywhere it would fit. However, I cannot justify the cost, personally.

saintnomad

Building a 109" NPR will certainly require a married transfer case. For a new truck build, this means "rebuilding" a brand new 6L90E, as the 4WD tail shaft must be installed through the bellhousing. So, everything has to come out, tail shaft goes in, then the whole transmission gets put back together so that a HERO or Atlas can be bolted onto the backside of the transmission instead of being divorced like it is on the 150" and 176" trucks. Your drive line will be shorter, but no worse than it would be in a RCSB pickup, two door Jeep or something of the sort. CV shafts are a great solution.

I was at Matt's shop over the weekend and he has one truck in the shop, plus another one waiting in the wings. I am not sure what your timeline is, but you could be looking at quite the wait. Any competent 4WD shop can do the conversion. I know that Red Rocks has done a single cab truck, so give them a ring. Leaf spring suspensions, straight frame rails and solid axles are about as simple as it gets for a truck chassis, but the ability to fabricate custom mounts/brackets, to engineer/design suspension and to choose quality parts from good vendors is what makes a good conversion. Nearly anyone can bolt on a junk yard axle and some junky springs, that does make a quality conversion.

RC Trucks only swaps the front axle out, leaving you with a mis-matched rear and/or wheels, and/or wheel spacers. For a landscaping truck used locally, maybe this is not an issue, for an up-market or custom build, this is a no-go in my book. You get what you pay for, as last time I checked with them, RC was charging about 12k or so, where you are looking at 3x - 4x that amount, just in parts, for a high quality conversion, such as those done by Rebel and Angry Iron. This does not include labour. Does it make sense to buy a $35k - 40k new NPR and dump $50k - 75k into it to make it 4x4? Not really. Are the trucks really, really awesome? Yep. :D

I would love to see a 109" NPR 4x4 with a 10' pop up box on the back. You could take that thing anywhere it would fit. However, I cannot justify the cost, personally.
Thank you for your message. I'm planning to buy a 109" NPR 4x4 plus 11' Bliss Mobil or GXV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94