Is is possible to sleep in a Jeep TJ ?

blaze one

Adventurer
If I were to remove the Front passenger seat , and remove (or fold flat?) the rear seat , and then Build a False floor , if needed . So that I would have flat floor .
Would there be enough length in the interior dimensions to lay down and sleep ?
I am not a midget though .
Does anyone know what the interior dimensions are , from the front part of the passenger side dash , to the rear .

I have not bought a Jeep , but I am considering trading my Blazer in for one before the tranny goes again .

photoleif

Observer
until i got the topper for my truck, and made a sleeping platform, i used this smaller, simpler platform to even out the floor of my truck when i pulled out the passenger seat. i'm not at all sure of the interior length in your jeep (you could probably get some idea with a tape measure evne if the tape has to bend a bit), but something like this would certainly help keep you flat if you pulled the seat out. the pairs of holes are to put bungees into for holding down gear. the supports are cut to fit the angle of the floor (mine isn't level all the way across). it bolts to the same holes that the seat uses in front, and the rear bolts down to the top of the jumpseat base (i've taken out the seats themselves... just the carpeted metal box left.

sleeping.jpg

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I did the same thing back in the 70's to my 64 VW Bug!
It was just a tad short for me but worked out great as I cruised up the Pacific Coast into Canada and back down to AZ via the Rockies.
All the way in the back under the rear window I kept my ice chest, and behind my driver's seat was my camp box (that I still used until recently...).

CampBox.jpg

What great fun that bug was...my first car...and first expedition vehicle!
LOL!
:D
Ed

CLynn85

Explorer
A member both here and on 4wd trips did that exact thing in his CJ7, which has very similar dimensions to the TJ. Although The TJ's dash might come out a bit further, and you may have to remove the grab handle above the glovebox door as well. How tall are you? I'll try and grab a measurement for you tomorrow. I have slept in the back with the passenger seat slid and tipped all the way foward with a couple jackets filling the hole behind the seat and covering the bracketry, leaning against the seat and legs stretched towards the back. It wasn't the most comfortable but I got through the night with a good sleep and was not sore the next morning.

http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showpost.php?p=39383&postcount=1

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sorry Carl.....

Didn't see that!

Just trying to help out!...........:elkgrin:

60seriesguy

Adventurer
A buddy of mine made a two-piece platform for his FZJ71 that allowed him to fold his passenger seat back (minus headrest) and rest the front of the platform on top of the dash. When not in use, the back half of the platform was used for cargo:

Attachments

• FZJ71 custom sleeping platform (Small).jpg
    FZJ71 custom sleeping platform (Small).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,751
  • FZJ71 custom sleeping platform 2 (Small).JPG
    FZJ71 custom sleeping platform 2 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,785

Doin_It

Adventurer
If you get the "Unlimited", which is on the shopping list, and has been approved by "the one who must be obeyed" I could do it by just moving the seat ahead, I checked, but I'm only 6 foot. Last time I visited a Chrysler dealership here in Calgary after hours (2 weeks ago) 3 jeeps were unlocked, 1 had keys in it. Man what an honest city. I'd measure mine, but #1 son took out a power pole this winter, and I'm sure the 'ol girl has already been melted into rebar.

blaze one

Adventurer
That platform in the FZJ70 looks like a great idea . i may just have to go check out a dealership and bring along my tape measure .
thanks for the ideas guys .

Steve Curren

Explorer
I have an Unlimited, I just measured from the grab handle on the passenger side to the furthest point at the rear. I got @ 84 inches, with the passenger and rear seat removed you would have enough length but the width is a bit on the narrow side.

blaze one

Adventurer
Thanks , I figured that it is going to be a tight squeez , but this isn't for any kind of long trips . 1 or 2 nights max. is all I would sleep there ..
I am searching around to find interior specs for a TJ , but no luck yet .

CLynn85

Explorer
Just measured mine at 71-1/2" from dash to inside of gate, subtract another 3" for the grab handle if it's not removed or not up above it. If you laid with your head at the rear you could put your feet up on top of the dash for a few more inches. It'd be pretty easily doable for me at 5'-10 but probably not all that comfy for you at 6-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior