Is buying a Discovery II a bad idea?

2.ooohhh

I can think of worse ideas than buying a cheap LR2, I went with a cheap rust free '99 Discovery 1 b/c I preferred the earlier driveline. I'm sizing up a potential R2.8 diesel swap atm and couldn't be happier with the platform's performance. Do keep in mind that these trucks were designed to need frequent simple maintenance. Non is hard, but it will require a time commitment that many don't expect with trucks as new in vintage as these.

rgallant

Adventurer
Weird, I thought the truck stopped really well all things considered. It wasn't good compared to my RX8... but way better than my TJ stock.

They stop fine ,but the brakes for some reason are a ********** to bleed. If you do not get it right you get a mushy pedal, mind getting on a hill and engaging hill descent seems to firm things right up. In mine at least

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
They stop fine ,but the brakes for some reason are a ********** to bleed. If you do not get it right you get a mushy pedal, mind getting on a hill and engaging hill descent seems to firm things right up. In mine at least

Thats fair, and with the ages of these trucks now it may have to do with spongy lines as well. I mean the newest truck you can buy is still going to be 16 years old at this point, if it hasn't had a fluid change its gonna be mushy, and if you're gonna change the fluid on a 16 year old car may as well do lines too.

85_Ranger4x4

yeah the 10-12MPG is a big problem with me,
The mechanical issues seems normal for any unique vehicle.

I think it could be improved if you could get away from the full time 4wd.

I really want one... what I would do to it would be pretty time/money intensive though.

Basically I would just want a clean shell/interior with a title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles