Is anyone bringing a Steyr Excap or other former military vehicle chassis to Overland Expo West 2022 in Flagstaff AZ?

evo85

Hello

I am interested in buying/building a Steyr Excap based expedition vehicle, with the box probably done by Krug or BlissMobil. I prefer the Steyr to the American Acela / Stewart & Stevenson chassis, but realize it is far more rare, and really any experience with either chassis would help in my decision. Is anyone bringing an Acela / Stewart & Stevenson / Steyr Excap to Overland Expo West here in one month in Flagstaff AZ? I would be forever grateful for your time if I could check it out and ride around in it (with you driving of course) for a few minutes. I am most interested in the Excap, though it's probably a long shot that anyone will have one, so I would also be interested in the others. Please message me on here if you'd be willing to let me check out your vehicle. It's a big purchase and the current international situation means it is not very convenient to go check out the factories myself.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Just saw this...
I have been importing and building vehicles for clients for over 2 decades now...long before this crazy overland thing started. I mainly deal with European rigs(Unimog, Gwagon, Pinzgauer, Steyr, Defender, etc) and on occasion LMTV's. I don't presently have any M1078's in stock if that was what you were looking for. Gimmi a shout when you get done @ expo west. I'm located in Saint Augustine FL.
Jake Krug
Adventure Motor-Werks

Doggo and I

Hello

I am interested in buying/building a Steyr Excap based expedition vehicle, with the box probably done by Krug or BlissMobil. I prefer the Steyr to the American Acela / Stewart & Stevenson chassis, but realize it is far more rare, and really any experience with either chassis would help in my decision. Is anyone bringing an Acela / Stewart & Stevenson / Steyr Excap to Overland Expo West here in one month in Flagstaff AZ? I would be forever grateful for your time if I could check it out and ride around in it (with you driving of course) for a few minutes. I am most interested in the Excap, though it's probably a long shot that anyone will have one, so I would also be interested in the others. Please message me on here if you'd be willing to let me check out your vehicle. It's a big purchase and the current international situation means it is not very convenient to go check out the factories myself.

The Steyr 12M18's carrying capacity is 11,464 lbs which is more than double carrying capacity of the Stewart & Stevenson's M1078 which is 2.5 tons (5,000 lbs). The S&S has an electronic automatic transmission(higher chance of breaking down), the Steyr is a manual transmission with one crawler gear. The Steyr also has a rudimentary, non-electronic diesel engine that can be fixed by most mechanic anywhere in the world with basic tools, the S&S M1078 is more complicated. Excap can take an older, low milage Steyr truck and make is nearly brand new with tons of mechanical upgrades and more power from the engine. Yes there are going to be more headaches dealing with the importation of a Steyr, but just think of the diesel cost savings by not dragging around an extra 3,000 lbs! Empty weight of the Steyr 13,999 lbs, Empty weight of the S&S M1078 is 16,499 lbs. To my knowledge the Steyr from Excap does NOT need a high speed differential; an intercooler, Bosch injector pump, and larger tires on the Steyr can achieve 125 km/hr (78 mph) max speed and 100 km/hr (62 mph) moderate cruising speed. The S&S M1078 stock is governed at 94 km/hr (58 mph) and requires high speed differential ($2,500 option) for max speed of 72 mph. Both trucks are 4x4 drive and rugged as heck. For my money I will choose the Steyr every day of the week, IMO it is a superior truck.

Doggo and I

Just saw this...
I have been importing and building vehicles for clients for over 2 decades now...long before this crazy overland thing started. I mainly deal with European rigs(Unimog, Gwagon, Pinzgauer, Steyr, Defender, etc) and on occasion LMTV's. I don't presently have any M1078's in stock if that was what you were looking for. Gimmi a shout when you get done @ expo west. I'm located in Saint Augustine FL.
Jake Krug
Adventure Motor-Werks
Hi Jake, how easy or difficult is it to import a Steyr 12M18 into Florida, I live near Daytona Beach so you are not far away. Do you have any for sale that have already been imported with low mileage? I plan of building the living area myself I am just looking for the truck.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Hi Jake, how easy or difficult is it to import a Steyr 12M18 into Florida, I live near Daytona Beach so you are not far away. Do you have any for sale that have already been imported with low mileage? I plan of building the living area myself I am just looking for the truck.
Finding a clean 12M18 is getting harder to come by. Importing into FL is never an issue thou. I do not have any Steyr's in my present inventory. I do however have a super low milage MAN/VW G90. I just finished up the paintwork, new Hutchinson bead-lock rims and Michelin tires. It has been fully serviced and mechanically needs nothing other than a new owner. I have an "emergency" box with new spare parts that are included with the sale so the things that could but shouldn't cause an issue on the road somewhere you would already have. I have not built a habit for it yet because it is so clean I didn't know what the new owner would be using it for and having the ability to remove the new canvas and hoops and use a "slide-in"style camper for a trip and then remove the camper and go to the hardware store seemed a better option. PM me or text IMG_2530.jpgif you want pics and more details.

Last edited:

Doggo and I

Finding a clean 12M18 is getting harder to come by. Importing into FL is never an issue thou. I do not have any Steyr's in my present inventory. I do however have a super low milage MAN/VW G90. I just finished up the paintwork, new Hutchinson bead-lock rims and Michelin tires. It has been fully serviced and mechanically needs nothing other than a new owner. I have an "emergency" box with new spare parts that are included with the sale so the things that could but shouldn't cause an issue on the road somewhere you would already have. I have not built a habit for it yet because it is so clean I didn't know what the new owner would be using it for and having the ability to remove the new canvas and hoops and use a "slide-in"style camper for a trip and then remove the camper and go to the hardware store seemed a better option. PM me or text View attachment 737016if you want pics and more details.
I know that Steyr is now part of MAN trucks, what are similarities and differences between this truck and the 12M18 or the upgraded Excap Steyr? What model number is this? What is the length from the back of the cab to the end of the bed rails? Do you have an entire spec sheet you can attach? What is the cost?
Thank you for passing this info along.

Roverchef

Adventurer
-Both 5-speeds
-Both non-computer diesel motors.
-The 12M18/LMTV are very large rigs and can be difficult for most folks to navigate thru city streets and parking lots. Even more so on narrow switchback trails. The G90 is smaller and easier to get around.
-The 12M18 and an ExCap Steyr are not even close to the same vehicle. ExCap rectifies all the inherent flaws in the 12M18 and makes a new rig.
-MAN G90(8136)
-Like I said before..email, call, or text for Specs and pricing details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz