Is a Unimog for me?

In the middle of the Gobi desert today after lunch my U500 wouldn't start. It took less than an hour to fix it. The primary fuel filter had rotated loose on washboard. Personal mechanic?

Charlie

In the middle of the Gobi desert today after lunch my U500 wouldn't start. It took less than an hour to fix it. The primary fuel filter had rotated loose on washboard. Personal mechanic?

Charlie

8pack

Charlie

That's the kind of machine I'm looking for. I have atleast average personal mechanical skills. I included a couple pictures of my last build (in my little shop not farmed out) twin engine, single turbo, fuel injected, air to water intercooler so as you can see I not scared of doing some work but I don't want something that is unreliable.
14wpthv.jpg

152nvdk.jpg

Nashorn101

Observer
I am also thinking about buying a Unimog and have the same questions as you.

I just want to known what routine maintenance will be like on a Unimog 1300? I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and I perform all the maintenance on it myself, but it also is only a 3,000lb vehicle, with two axles instead of four, no air brakes, no huge tires and wheels, no front and rear lockers, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I am also thinking about buying a Unimog and have the same questions as you.

I just want to known what routine maintenance will be like on a Unimog 1300? I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and I perform all the maintenance on it myself, but it also is only a 3,000lb vehicle, with two axles instead of four, no air brakes, no huge tires and wheels, no front and rear lockers, etc.

Unimogs don't have 4 axles? The braking system is air over hydraulic. It's not straight air.

Nashorn101

Observer
Unimogs don't have 4 axles? The braking system is air over hydraulic. It's not straight air.

Figuratively speaking, 4 portal axles is more complex than 2 straight axles.

And yes, that still requires an air compressor.

Relatively speaking, the extra components on a Unimog is nothing to really be concerned about. However, I don't own one, so I'm curious as to what y'all think about this? :)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Relatively speaking, the extra components on a Unimog is nothing to really be concerned about. However, I don't own one, so I'm curious as to what y'all think about this? :)

Still has two axles. The portal HUBS are not axles. Just hubs :).

The portal hubs ARE something to be concerned about. Even on a U500 they only hold 700ml of oil. It is the most likely source of severe mechanical failure. And they are one of the main reasons (along with tires and COG) why sustained speeds over 60mph are not advisable.
And BTW, a new transmission( integral 8spd, interaxle diff lock, reversing gear, working and crawler gears) for a U500 is about $46K.

Charlie

Nashorn101

Observer
Still has two axles. The portal HUBS are not axles. Just hubs :).

Yes, I spoke too soon without proper knowledge - understood now! :) What I should have said is that 4 portal axles is more complex than straight axles. Technically speaking.

The portal hubs ARE something to be concerned about. Even on a U500 they only hold 700ml of oil. It is the most likely source of severe mechanical failure. And they are one of the main reasons (along with tires and COG) why sustained speeds over 60mph are not advisable.
And BTW, a new transmission( integral 8spd, interaxle diff lock, reversing gear, working and crawler gears) for a U500 is about $46K.

Charlie

Goodness gracious. Where does this price come from?

There seems to be a lot of Unimog owners here in the US. How do ya'll deal with those 'hard to find' repair parts?

thebigblue

Adventurer
It seems that at lot of the Steyr 12M18 runs oversized tires to reduce engine revs, could the same not be done on a MOG?

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
It seems that at lot of the Steyr 12M18 runs oversized tires to reduce engine revs, could the same not be done on a MOG?

You can to a point as long as you have the HP to haul them down the highway, you also start loosing low range crawling ability as you go up in tire size. Working gears can gain your low end back but it's a very expensive option to get set up. A Claas overdrive will get you a 22% increase in gearing on the highway but again you have to have the HP to use it if speed is what your after. The Claas its expensive and your portal boxes will still be going way faster than designed which can lead to premature failure, the Claas option offers splitting gears as well which can be very useful on hills. In the end it cost a lot of $$$ to go fast in a MOG, both in upfront costs and in added maint costs.

Joe917

Explorer
You can to a point as long as you have the HP to haul them down the highway, you also start loosing low range crawling ability as you go up in tire size. Working gears can gain your low end back but it's a very expensive option to get set up. A Claas overdrive will get you a 22% increase in gearing on the highway but again you have to have the HP to use it if speed is what your after. The Claas its expensive and your portal boxes will still be going way faster than designed which can lead to premature failure, the Claas option offers splitting gears as well which can be very useful on hills. In the end it cost a lot of $$$ to go fast in a MOG, both in upfront costs and in added maint costs.

If you have to make those changes to the truck its not the right vehicle.
You need a 4x4 road truck, MB, MAN, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles