Is a swing out tire carrier worth it, or more of a PITA than it is worth?

razzman1

Observer
I have a 4Runner that I am slowly building into a family camping / overlanding vehicle. Modest lift, tires, skid plates, a winch going in soon, drawer system in the back, etc. As of right now, the spare is in the stock location, outside under the cargo area. I have a strong desire to get a replacement bumper with spare tire and jerry can swing outs, or get a Wilco Hitchgate for the same purpose. I recognize the benefits of the extra storage location, but I wonder how much of a pain it would be to live with the swing outs, since as a DD, realistically 90% of the vehicles' use would not really require them, and every time I need to get in the back, I'd have to open them up. Those of you with a swing out tire carrier, is it worth it, or more of a pain than it is worth? My other option is to keep the spare in the stock location and use the roof rack (most likely getting a Gamiviti) for the jerry cans, shovel and Hi-Lift that would have gone on the swing outs.

Thanks for your thoughts

Obligatory 4Runner pic:

9CjtHv.jpg

Here’s my 2 cents (and I’ll still owe you change when I’m finished): I drive a pickup with a shell, use it as a pickup and offroad trip vehicle. When I go offroad I use the Wilco HitchGate and the stock under the bed location. Yes, two spares for me. Works great offroad, I can also hang a Trashroo off the back. When I use the truck around town I take the Wilco off. If I had to deal with the swing out all the time it would be a pain. My wife drives a Suburban. I can’t imagine having to deal with the swing out and the hatchback multiple times a day. If you’re going to use the 4Runner as a DD think long and hard about a permanent setup. And whatever you do don’t overload the vehicle up high with a rack/basket. I limit my racks on the shell to an awning, maybe some chairs and a table, etc. I would load fuel up there as a last resort. Good luck and safe travels with whatever you decide. ✌️

jasonsuperb

Observer
I got one and kind of regret it. It’s a pain constantly swinging it out, was over 2k, and rattles. I’ve also never had a flat on an e rated BFG tire so having it in the stock location would be fine. Now for looong trips it was nice to have a gas can and water jug on the back. I definitely would skip the hitchgate. Would kill departure angle and rattle even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I love the one on my jeep, but I'm not a fan of the creaks and groans from the latch. I really needed the space, and it has been life changing.

Fortunately, there is a knob in the middle of the dash labeled "Volume" that applies rock-n-roll to fix the squeaks. It works on all Jeep squeaks and my kids too.

I've actually been considering a bolt or hand wheel style connection versus the door latch style I have now (Smittybilt Atlas), but I'm not sure I want to give up the fast opening process. I might weld on a bolt and just use it occasionally.

Awkragt

Adventurer
Pain in the ass. Had a swingout tire carrier on a JK. Always an extra step before opening the back. Had a tool box and gas can. Big part of the reason I don’t have the jeep anymore was that it seemed like a hassle for everyday use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew61987

Observer
Aren't the swingouts typically removable? I'm planning to get one eventually for my tacoma, but if I can't take the swingout off for daily driving (only want it for trips) that's a deal breaker

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I haven't felt a need for a spare tire swing out but am seriously thinking when I do build a bumper for my Tacoma that it will have a provision for an arm. I plan to put a receiver hitch in the swing out so I can put my bike rack in or perhaps build a tire carrier or jerry can carrier that can optionally use the receiver.

I agree, having anything back there is PITA but since I already have a bike rack I'm resigned to dealing with it and those are an even bigger PITA to tip down. So a pivoting arm will be an improvement there and I really hate putting gas cans inside where I sleep so if I do a trip that will need extra fuel I'd prefer it being out there anyway.

tacollie

Glamper
I haven't felt a need for a spare tire swing out but am seriously thinking when I do build a bumper for my Tacoma that it will have a provision for an arm. I plan to put a receiver hitch in the swing out so I can put my bike rack in or perhaps build a tire carrier or jerry can carrier that can optionally use the receiver.

I agree, having anything back there is PITA but since I already have a bike rack I'm resigned to dealing with it and those are an even bigger PITA to tip down. So a pivoting arm will be an improvement there and I really hate putting gas cans inside where I sleep so if I do a trip that will need extra fuel I'd prefer it being out there anyway.

What he said. I've had them in the past and about them since. I am planning one now to make it easier to access the back of my truck with a bike rack on(a swing out will actually make my life easier). Also to carry gas outside of the shell.

If your spare fits in the stock location I would leave it.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Makes for mounting my Trasharoo a lot easier.

Not all tire carriers are noisy. Mine is custom made and quiet.

Pros: if you get a flat and you're buried in something (snow, sand, mud, etc.....) not having to first dig out your spare is a plus, mad ExpoAF points, if you are running larger tires and can't fit it in the factory location, if built into the bumper it may actually improve departure angle over factory bumper....

Cons: rear visibility, using it in normal everyday life, cost....

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Sounds like you have it figured out that it's a pita from the way you worded the question. You don't want one unless you need it. I don't have a tire carrier, but do have a swing away carrier for gas. I built the bumper so I can take off the swing away in 5 minutes as the truck is my dd, and yes, it's a pita dealing with it day to day.

I have the wilco offset swingout on my 4th gen which is my daily driver. It is an added step which does as some inconvenience however, my spare would not fit in the factory location so It was the best option for me. I also like having the the extra gear on there. The wilco doesn't rattle or squeak at all so thats a plus however, it is a pay-to-play endeavour.

My thoughts for what they are worth...

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Soul-surfer, I too have a what I assume you mean a Dodge Ram pickup and have struggled with the placement of the spare tire. I run 35's on Expedition rims the spare of which will not fit between the frame rails in the stock location. 33's are about as large as will fit under there, so currently I have a 33" tire on a stock steel rim in that location. My twist is i carry a Lance Camper most of the time, another 2600 loaded pounds on the rear axle, so a Wilco any spare in the hitch hole is going to be in the way of the entry door every time. click on link for video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nmnfudkr1ngyj8/U-turn in sandstone cyn.m4v?dl=0
My buddie, Alex welded up his own swing away spare tire carrier, maybe a little heavier than the Wilco: the tire swings wide to the right.

Then you have to ask the question, "how often do I get a flat tire?" I've had very good luck over the years with tires not going flat, even though I abuse them regularly which shows the gains in toughness made by tire mfgrs. the last decade or so. It could be I just picked the right tire. As a former hard core rock crawler running tires at a variety of pressures down to 3 pounds in jeeps and down to 20 pounds in my RAM/Lance camper rig I've gone hundreds of miles at low pressure with no deleterious effect. Success in this realm had in some measure to do with preparation. We always carry a tire plug kit called, "Safety Seal" in any off road rig. It is by far the best one. The secret is the glue they use on the caterpillar-like cord used as plugs. Most likely, in my experience, 95% of flats, short of a catastrophic tread separation or blow out can be plugged with the Safety Seals. How many plugs did we use in this tire and it held air for 3 days enough time to get back to civilization and get a replacement? A rock cut was through the sidewall:

The other part of the flat tire equation is airing the tire back up if indeed it can be fixed. Most of the time these flats can be fixed with the tire remaining on the wheel. So, I use a variety of airing up appliances. I tried the China Freight, $50 high volume air compressors that attach directly to your battery and blew through a few of those on the first or second tire before they melted into the, "one piece-no moving parts" mode. Scratch those. For years I've used a CO2 tank, first a 5 pound tank and then graduating to a 25 pound aluminum tank with the correct freeze-proof hardware/hose. This allowed us to fill the large jeep tires at the end of the day for 6 days in a row in Moab with one tank of CO2. It's large and clumsy but gets the job done. This past week I bought a Viair 440p which is expensive but takes up less space and should do the job of airing up a flat with tire plugs and on the rim. It is the fastest gun in town of this genre; a 40 amp fuse so you had better keep your engine revved up while using. Years ago with one of these power grabbers we forgot to leave the engine on and the battery was dead after airing up 4 , 37 inch tires from 6 pounds to 30 pounds.
Looking down the road, I think my best option is to mount a 35" spare tire and fill it with only 10 pounds of air, relegating it to the stock spare location. Being mostly flat it 'should' fit between the frame rails and be unobtrusive until I need it at which time the Viair 440 comes into the picture to inflate the tire back up for use on the truck.
Until next time, jefe

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Good solution on the spare.
I can fit a 35 between the frame rails.
Good thing as a piece of shrapnel on I-5 took out my brand new Toyo MT way back. Stuff happens. $300 day.(n)

B

BPD53

I tried a hitch gate a few years ago. It was well built but weighed too much for what it was. I found the extra step of swinging it open to be a chore if parked anywhere that wasn't level.

It completely kills your departure angle. If you go offroad at all it will get in the way and cause you to get hung up unless your vehicle is lifted pretty high.

In the end it was better for me to modify my exhaust to keep my spare under the truck.

Although it's a quality product I cannot recommend it to anyone who actually goes off road beyond gravel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles