Is a swing out tire carrier worth it, or more of a PITA than it is worth?

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
I had one on my older Cherokee (XJ) and I dealt with the aforementioned issues as its benefits outweighed those. My spare no longer fit in the stock location and since it was on the bumper now vs. in the rear storage area I gained storage space. In addition, my swingout carried my hi-lift and 2 NATO gas cans. So it was a good thing for that vehicle. Now I'm driving a crew cab truck with a full size bed. I hope to not need a swingout for this rig... and even though I'm running a larger tire than stock... it still fits thankfully under the bed in the stock location. Now getting to it will be difficult if I flat on rough/muddy terrain vs. getting to a swing out tire - so that's always something to keep in mind too. Good luck and no matter what you do, do it for you and your needs!

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have given them a lot of thought, yet I still don't have one. My spare fits inside so getting it out back would definitely clear up a lot of room for other stuff.
My biggest issue (well one anyway) is which side to have it swing too. Passenger side is normal but I don't always want it to go that way. I figured a double swing out with a spare on one side and a water can on the other would be perfect.
Design it to be quiet as I hate rattles and will obsess over them until I get it fixed.
It would also have to be able to lock in place so it wouldn't move when on a hill or if I wanted to fasten a tarp guyline to it.
My second issue is the short garage with all the shop tools I couldn't fit it in the garage with out removing the carrier when not out for a long trip, so making the swing-out removable would be a must for me.
A couple friends of mine have full swing-outs and love them.
IMO taking it off for every day use then putting it on for long trips would be ideal but just another thing to have to store and do to get ready.....decisions decisions...see why I don't have one.....

Darrell

6gun

I'm following this. With plans for 40 inch tires I have nowhere else to put a spare and the thought of riding without one is not cool with me.

rickc

Adventurer
I should have included a few pics with my last response. This is the Wilco Classic offset; it's not on their website anymore.

Attachments

• 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset rear left.jpg
    2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset rear left.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset side.jpg
    2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset side.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 63

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
would be neat to create a drop-slide for inside spare tires - like they have with refrigerators. if anyone steals my idea, give me 5% :)

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I don't have a need for swing away tire carriers, just a thought,
Would having a drop down, like a tailgate, with a flat surface for loading/unloading gear be more functional..?

Lucky j

Explorer
The thing with that, is you have to lift it and lower it in place. And You have it in your legs and have to walk, over or around it. I guy I know and that is also here made something that is not to heavy for his xterra. @Nd4SpdSe he might show up here, or you might look into his treads.

You have to find what works for you.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Good point, could be heavy with a large spare.
Could put lift thingys on, similar as used for lifting Pop ups.
Oh well, just a thought..
Over and out.

rickc

Adventurer
my old Hummer had a big military rear carrier with a wind-up and down mechanism; took forever to use so I would simply disconnect the cable and lift the wheel attached to the frame up and down and remove it/replace it in the lower position then lift the whole thing up (bending knees) and lock it. I found this way fast and safe. The trickiest part when working with big wheels is lifting one up from the ground and trying to locate it on the carrier lugs.

jeegro

Adventurer
I finally got around to building a custom swing-away, and love it, mostly because of the fold down table. The table makes it worth having to open the carrier to open the cargo door. I also made simple little plates with aluminum angle backing, to fit onto the carrier arm for more table surface.

Taking the tire weight off the barn door was a big plus. The whole reason I embarked on this project was because a hinge broke
9B24hFzHSu+YuwUFaaV8OA.jpg

XtbuJJdhROeOm0GKvDR9uA.jpg

axqCwNCBQ%m0h5FV52LXYg.jpg

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
The thing with that, is you have to lift it and lower it in place. And You have it in your legs and have to walk, over or around it. I guy I know and that is also here made something that is not to heavy for his xterra. @Nd4SpdSe he might show up here, or you might look into his treads.

You have to find what works for you.

Indeed. Thanks for the tag ;)

I made myself a level drop down carrier. I like it and works well. It's trailer hitch mounted so I can remove it if need be.

iYIzr8n.jpg

nfSxEcZ.jpg

8MyQbHf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles