Is a RTT or ground tent better for my use?

I think I want a RTT but I have one big concern. We do not dispurse camp, where we do the majority of our trail riding you can only camp in designated areas so we typically setup a base camp and spend the day adventuring coming back to the base camp in the evening. I’m worried setting up and breaking down the RTT each day will grow old vs a ground tent I leave in place until we are done camping on the trip. How long does your RTT take for setup/tear down? Also if your situation was similar to mine would you got for the RTT or a nice ground tent like an OZ Tent?

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It is definitely a “thing” to break down the tent and move the vehicle. The 10 min investment and the planning vs just walking somewhere didn’t bother me until I had little kids who both increased the breakdown time and couldn’t easily walk 3-5 miles. Eventually I moved to a RTT on a trailer. Close to the best of both worlds, although my trailer still needs a little development. I occasionally use a ground tent for backpacking, but the comfort of the RTT is hard to beat.

I think climate has a lot of influence. RTT are much less fun in very rainy areas where you have to dry and air them out constantly.

Umbrarian

Observer
I have the ARB RTT and it is great for a fixed location. After a few times though I invested in an inexpensive ground tent for when I know I would want to leave camp every day.

billiebob

I’m worried setting up and breaking down the RTT each day will grow old vs a ground tent
Absolutely, this is why I love trailers. No way do I want to break camp to go for beer.
Plus, an RTT on the roof is a lot of weight on the roof.

You will hate the RTT on the roof.

pith helmet

I would go with an Oz Tent with an awning you could just back up to.
Also gives you the benefit of using cots and stand up room.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
As a RTT owner, I'd say definitely go with a ground tent unless you have a trailer to put the RTT on. A RTT offers no advantages when base camping and doing day trips, but has a lot of disadvantages.

Kevin108

Explorer
Where the RTT is still advantageous is that you won't have to find a way to carry it along. It will also let you store your bedding inside, and includes a mattress in lieu of sleeping pads or cots that you would need with a ground tent, saving precious room inside the vehicle. In the event of rain, packing away a wet RTT is far preferable than stowing a wet and muddy ground tent. With no part of the tent touching the ground, cleaning consists of wiping the feet over the ladder off when you pack it down.

The tent model makes a substantial difference. The soft-shell folding tents take more time than a hard-shell wedge tent. The trade off is, the the folding tents are more affordable, and offer more room, while the wedge tents cost more, but simplify setup and teardown.

Setup time isn't bad at all once you get the steps down. You'll learn where the necessary hand and foot holds are on your vehicle for accessing the cover and extending the ladder. When that is practiced enough to become a reflex, then you've reached the true time.

I just referenced and old video of mine. Not hurrying, it takes me 2 minutes to undo the outer straps, pull the cover while undoing the inner straps, extend the ladder, unfold the tent, tuck the mattress cover out of the way, verify the jaw is locked, and adjust the ladder. Add maybe another 30 seconds to install the spring rods for the rain fly on the main opening. It's not required, but it makes access much easier. Tent setup is at 2:23. I added some time because I'd done the outer straps before the segment. You'll need to add time depending on how many windows you want open and what you want in the tent with you.

There are a few things to ask yourself when considering a rooftop tent. Are you comfortable climbing around on your vehicle a bit to open and close it? Are you and those you travel with comfortable climbing down a ladder in the dark to go pee at night? Are you okay with losing 1-2 mpg and adding some weight to the roof of your vehicle? Will you use it enough to justify the cost?

The combo below is what I put together back in 2015. I've enjoyed cruising the trails and camping as long as I've been driving, but being able to sleep comfortable and clean indefinitely was life-changing. I now have over 150 nights in this Smittybilt tent. That averages out to about $6 a night. It has survived everything I've thrown at it, and was no worse for the wear after the wreck that took my FJ from me. The best way to find out if a rooftop tent works for you may just be to get one and try it yourself!

1660482013974.png

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I have tried all kinds of ways for my fishing trips and I finally settled on neither a ground tent or a RTT but a Hammock w stand and shelter. Off ground...check...shelter..check...comfy..check..and easy setup pretty much anywhere. Great for solo trips.

1660502815637.png

jmmaxus

Another option could be tent cots like the Oztent RS-1 swag on cot or the Teton cots and their pop up Vista tents on top. Off the ground like a rooftop tent, you leave them behind setup at camp like a ground tent. You can put a rooftop tent on top of a cheap utility trailer and add bars from compact camping/dinoot for a low budget build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I couldn't imagine climbing down those skinny ladder rungs in the middle of the night. I've read they can flap you to death at night .

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I almost did this ^^^ I went SquareBox instead, but when I was younger,,,,, I did this in picnic shelters.
I do a lot of fishing trips in the Keys, and with the Keys being so expensive, I can do even more trips if I keep my place to sleep cost down. This setup is excellent for a couple of reasons, light and mobile and it also allows the breeze to pass thru a lot easier than a tent so I find myself more comfortable in the heat and humidity with this.

I did weigh the rooftop tent in this scenario, I decided against it because I move to different spots fishing and launching kayaks etc, having to take the tent down in the morning and set up when I get back was just one more step that I did not think would be ideal for the majority of my camping use.

When I am out with the family, I set up things differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles