Is a locking system neccesary for drawers with UHMW slides?

PsilocyBen

In the process of planning out my storage system/sleeping platform for my GX and I am trying to decide on between Paddle latches that lock such as these, and just normal heavier duty handles without a locking system. Do you guys think I will regret not having drawers that lock into place? I don't care about having the actual lock with key (as I figure if someone breaks into my rig, they'll get whatever they want regardless of having a key on the drawers), but rather I am concerned about the drawers sliding in and out when i'm driving. Are drawers that lock into place important using UHMW slides? Or should they not slide around too much as long as the fitment of the drawers is fairly snug? I like the paddle latches because they lock and look cleaner, but these ones i'd have to glue in, so I feel like the screw in normal handle latches would be heavier duty. Which ones do you all think should I go with? Open to other suggestions as well, but ideally i'd like to spend no more than $40 on the handles or latches. Any insight is greatly appreciated here.

Alloy

I'd say add the locks but it comes down to how much weight is in the drawer vs. the amount of UHMW and what it is riding on.

Not sure what you are gluing to so can't advise on that.

Enough latch choices here to make your head spin.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I made it about a year without latches and the clunking against my rear hatch drove me nuts.

I added some boat hatch style latches and never looked back.

4bb69fe6a8ed2b606ffe85d3af302d47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgaz

Adventurer
I don’t have UHMW slides on my drawer, just lubricated 1/8” hardboard strips.
I found it necessary to add a latch to keep the drawer off my tailgate table.
D9AC42DA-222D-4AC4-906E-3D003E75AB0E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier