Is a large UPS usable for anything

bronconite

Observer
I recently came in to possession of a large UPS that was in the computer room at work. It's from the mid '90s and weighs just under 500 lbs with the batteries. It has 4 AGM batteries that need to be replaced, so the IT manager decided to upgrade and this ended up on the electronics recycle pile. I'm planning on a solar system for my van and wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. My original plan was to use the heavy cables for my battery setup and the batteries for their core value. But then I got to wondering if the inverter was usable at all. The unit is a 220v AC and 48v DC input and has 1 220 and 6 110 outputs. My thoughts are that this isn't really usable, but I wanted some input before I just scavenge the small usable stuff. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

bronconite

Observer
I think they are useful. ( if you have a use for it) I used smaller UPS alot to run power tools for those odd few holes to drill or soldering while away from mains & truck mounted power was not practical.

But, Yours sounds like quite a beast, maybe better suited to an off-grid cabin or similar.

How are you charging it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne