Is a Land Cruiser really better off-road than a Tacoma? My experience says the opposite..

Ozark_Prowler

TL;DR: Does a lighter 5 speed Tacoma have the advantage off-road or is a heavier Land Cruiser preferable for its durability? Which model has the greater drawbacks overall as a DD/weekend warrior?

Pictured are the two rigs I've ran in the last year and a half or so. Obviously they both have their pros and cons. I'd say the Tacoma was way more fun to drive around town with the 5 speed manual, and to me it seemed more capable on local trails than the Land Cruiser. It weighed literally a ton less, and in 1st gear lo I could walk it up just about anything, no lockers needed. The engine compression was a lot better for steep descents also. Finally the short wheelbase made it much more maneuverable on tight trails around here. Just an amazing fun vehicle which I would've kept were it not for the rot starting inside the frame.

On the other hand, the Land Cruiser's frame is far more durable and much less prone to internal frame rust. The coils all around are also a plus for the nice ride, and the solid front axle is legendary. Overall it's just built a lot tougher than the Tacoma and seems like it'd stand up better to prolonged rough-road abuse. No LBJs to worry about either.

But being so heavy I've found it's easier to get stuck in. Sure, the axles flex better, but it still loses traction in fairly tame situations where all four wheels are still on the ground. I also don't like how the automatic behaves in 4lo. There seems to be more hesitation whereas in the Tacoma I could just put it in gear and go. At least I don't have to worry about stalling I guess. Finally the interior always seem to be gross on the LCs too compared to Tacos. And that big tractor engine always seems to be coated in gunk and oil (what tractor isn't?). Mine also has an annoying greasy/sulfury smell from the engine bay which I assume is fluids burning off. My 3RZ was the same age and was basically dry underneath.

I've come to the conclusion that Land Cruisers were designed more for prolonged use on dirt roads while carrying a bunch of people and gear, in other words "overlanding" or touting. Meanwhile Tacomas were made more with daily driving/weekend trail bashing in mind. I'm thinking of getting another single cab Taco, but am I missing something?

1657400243744.png
1657400316027.png

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
TL;DR: Does a lighter 5 speed Tacoma have the advantage off-road or is a heavier Land Cruiser preferable for its durability? Which model has the greater drawbacks overall as a DD/weekend warrior?

Pictured are the two rigs I've ran in the last year and a half or so. Obviously they both have their pros and cons. I'd say the Tacoma was way more fun to drive around town with the 5 speed manual, and to me it seemed more capable on local trails than the Land Cruiser. It weighed literally a ton less, and in 1st gear lo I could walk it up just about anything, no lockers needed. The engine compression was a lot better for steep descents also. Finally the short wheelbase made it much more maneuverable on tight trails around here. Just an amazing fun vehicle which I would've kept were it not for the rot starting inside the frame.

On the other hand, the Land Cruiser's frame is far more durable and much less prone to internal frame rust. The coils all around are also a plus for the nice ride, and the solid front axle is legendary. Overall it's just built a lot tougher than the Tacoma and seems like it'd stand up better to prolonged rough-road abuse. No LBJs to worry about either.

But being so heavy I've found it's easier to get stuck in. Sure, the axles flex better, but it still loses traction in fairly tame situations where all four wheels are still on the ground. I also don't like how the automatic behaves in 4lo. There seems to be more hesitation whereas in the Tacoma I could just put it in gear and go. At least I don't have to worry about stalling I guess. Finally the interior always seem to be gross on the LCs too compared to Tacos. And that big tractor engine always seems to be coated in gunk and oil (what tractor isn't?). Mine also has an annoying greasy/sulfury smell from the engine bay which I assume is fluids burning off. My 3RZ was the same age and was basically dry underneath.

I've come to the conclusion that Land Cruisers were designed more for prolonged use on dirt roads while carrying a bunch of people and gear, in other words "overlanding" or touting. Meanwhile Tacomas were made more with daily driving/weekend trail bashing in mind. I'm thinking of getting another single cab Taco, but am I missing something?

View attachment 730926
View attachment 730927
A full size person can fit comfortably in a Landcruiser.

Ozark_Prowler

A full size person can fit comfortably in a Landcruiser.
I’m 6 feet tall and fit fine in the Taco. The seats are more comfy in the Cruiser though and I enjoy the commanding driving position. Visibility is excellent in both trucks: a major advantage of older vehicles for the most part.

tacollie

Glamper
Stock for stock the Tacoma is better in my experience. It's a lot easier to run 35s or 37s on the 80. That's the biggest win the the 80. Throw some 35s and all the gear you can corn hole into it the 80 wins. Fast and light goes to the Tacoma. Pick your poison. Both are good choices.

MOAK

Adventurer
That’s a really good perspective which leads to a very intelligent question/conversation.
I have an 80 series Landcruiser, I prefer a wagon over a pickup truck for all the obvious reasons for overland travel, let alone the degree of comfort, which, when covering sometimes 5-600 miles a day, for days on end on highway and hours a day on tracks and trail, has become important for us. I’m also into the physics of a solid front axle and lockers. Daily Driver? NOT. I have an old Ford Ranger and a RAV4 for those duties. If I were a young single guy and my truck served both overlanding and DDer. Well, I’d not hesitate to get an older Taco, baseline it, PM it with fervent anal retentiveness, and drive it forever. However, it is what it is, as the saying goes and in retirement I can have the best of both worlds, an old Ranger, circa 1990 that is very easy to maintain, and our 80 series.

bkg

Explorer
I’d say it’s an apples to water buffalo comparison….

But personal preference (like manual vs auto) will have a massive impact on overall comfort and conclusion.

I’ve owned 7 tacomas and zero LC’s. I had similar thoughts when comparing my 1st gen 4Runners to my xtracab many years ago - believing the 4Runners far superior. Most of it was based on wheelbase, transmission, and ultimately, seat time.

what matters most is finding comfort and enjoyment, I’d guess.

F350joe

I have found that SUVs get better traction with the added weight on the rear wheels. That can be overcome by putting stuff in the bed of a PU of course. Really depends on what you are doing though. I rather blast around the desert in the tacoma but do forest roads in the Sierra with the Cruiser.

Kevin108

Explorer
If you can fit all your people and gear into a single-cab pickup, Go for it. I did it for years. But these days I prefer a little more space to carry a little more stuff to ensure a little more comfort that lets me stay out for a lot longer.

billiebob

View attachment 730926
View attachment 730927
I'd say you nailed the differences, plusses, minuses of the two choices.
Then theres this....

s-l1600.jpg

But I'm a 2 door fan.... with no need for comfort... I'd go here.

DSC_0077.jpeg

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
The pickup sounds like a better choice for your preferences. A simple little 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual Toyota truck is surely one of man's best friends. I miss my old '92 a bit. The rear frame was going on that one too.

A Cruiser will be way better in snow, apparently not an issue for you. Either one can work OK for a single person or a couple for "overlanding". I don't know about the bashing comparsion as that's not my thing. A Cruiser has the rep for being massively overbuilt, but then it's heavier too so which one will break first?

T-Willy

View attachment 730926
View attachment 730927

I have ownership experience with the first gen regular cab Tacoma 4x4 and two 80 series, one since new.

I completely agree with this:

I've come to the conclusion that Land Cruisers were designed more for prolonged use on dirt roads while carrying a bunch of people and gear, in other words "overlanding" or touring. Meanwhile Tacomas were made more with daily driving/weekend trail bashing in mind.

The Land Cruiser is heavy duty; the Tacoma isn't.

But in my experience, the lighter, smaller, and more nimble regular cab Tacoma still can't go places the 80 series can. The 80 series, though bigger, heavier, and lumbering, has a remarkable ability to keep all wheels on the ground and maintain traction. I think that owes to down-travel, which is then enhanced by the center diff lock (in one of my 80s), and then the front and rear locks (in the other).

I recall a few situations in which the plodding 80 series lumbered past where the Tacoma had stopped. One was a badly off-camber road with lots of axle flex; the other, surprisingly, was soft sand, where the Tacoma dug itself in, but the center-locked 80 just kept chugging through the section at the speed of a very slow walk.

At the end of the day, I would have more confidence off road in the 80 series. But the spry Tacoma would be more fun to drive.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Interesting perspective. My brother has a tacoma and my dad has an LC. They both love them.

My view is they are built for two completely different things. I view Tacoma's as rugged, not luxury. Whereas the LC is luxury, not rugged.

I think a lot of the hype (deserved) for the LC, especially in the states, is that they are kind of a gem. I see probably 1,000 Tacomas a day. They're literally everywhere and they control the southern Ca market. I see maybe 10 LC's a week. Plus add the entry price. $$ for a Taco, $$$$$$ for an LC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior