Is a 1.9 SWR acceptable?

Summiteer

I have a Cobra WXST and a 5' Firestik antenna with an adjustable tip 20" above the top of the JK. The best I can get for some reason is a 1.9 through all channels. I think it will probably be sufficient for trail use since we will all be pretty close to each other, but will the SWR being this high damage my unit at all?

soonenough

Explorer
In my limited experience, I've heard / read that an SWR of anything under 2.0 is pretty good. I don't think you run the risk of any damage to the radio until your SWR is 3.0 or above.

From the Firestik.com Tech Docs pages:

... Operating transmitting radios when the SWR is over 3:1 can damage the radios circuits...
... For frequencies below 200 MHz (CB, VHF, etc), SWR below 2.0:1 is acceptable...
... Short of having an easy to tune antenna, fighting to achieve SWR in the 1.3:1 to 1.6:1 range when it is already at 2.0:1 probably isn't worth the time and effort...
So, especially if it's going to be for trail use only, I'd say you're probably ok where you're at. Here's a list of things to look at if you really want get it lower than 1.9.

gary in ohio

Explorer
You want the lowest SWR you can get. Anything under 2:1 is not going to harm the radio. Most radio start shutting down power output over 2:1. SWR when mobile can be a challenge . You can move the vehicle 10ft and the SWR will change. It will change while driving, go past a SEMI and it will change. Get the best you can. Also make sure you check the SWR on several frequncies, channel 1, 19 and 40 you may find it will drop on some channels.

Summiteer

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to leave it where it's at then since it's not going to damage the unit and it will function fine for my purposes.

ExpoMike

I know it's a common mistake that many make, is to set their SWR near a building or house. I will throw off the reading.

I find a big, empty parking lot and set it there. Get some weird looks from time to time. I like to strive for 1.5:1 or lower but as others said, 2.0:1 is acceptable.

KA5IVR

Observer
I have found in the past... If you have a resident antenna and the Ground is bad, it will give you a high flat reading across the band that will not adjust.

Most CB antenna are not wide enough banded to give a flat reading across the 11 meter band without somewhat of a dip somewhere.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

If 1.1:1 is Perfect. Then 2.1:1 is not.

I have my Wilson 1000 down to 1.1:1 .

I can talk with others who have tuned their CB Antennas properly from 20 to 60 miles away.

If others do not care to tune their CB Antenna properly, you will Not be able to talk with them, and you will all hate CB Radios and claim they are junk.

With CB.....it's all about the antenna.

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/tsswrg.htm

I was Rescued by way of Cb Radio from over 20 Miles away in the Panamint Mountains. Punching down through the canyons, to the valley below. By a kind Jeeper who just had his CB Antenna tuned properly, just a few weeks before.

Others in his group could hear me, but they could not talk to me.

I suggest we do it.

And Yes! 2 Meter is Better!

I like 2 Meter!

gary in ohio

Explorer
If 1.1:1 is Perfect. Then 2.1:1 is not.

I have my Wilson 1000 down to 1.1:1 .

Depending on the antenna you have some are NOT even tunable. As noted SWR will var based on objects around you. Also what are you using to measure your SWR? The meter in the radio? a cheap CB SWR meeting or a quality SWR meter. Dont assume the meter in your radio is even close to accurate. Anything under 1.5 is good, anything under 2:1 is usable. Lower is always better but for most typical CB communications you will never see the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles