Is 4x4 really necessary for a cabover build?

rohat

This is a question for those that actually have a rig and go exploring. Unlike myself, who is just planning/dreaming.

A bit of a loaded question i know... but it's for those that don't park at Walmart for weeks, but do go on logging roads but don't enjoy going to a campsites beside the highway but do travel in developing countries but don't go into mud bogs just to get dirty....you get the point.

How often do you ACTUALLY require a 4x4? I get that its always nice to have that confidence but wouldn't a rear differential be sufficient for 98% of the time? For the 2% time it's needed could some better judgement avoided you driving down the gully or on that mushy beach?

Are there those out there that have 4x4 and find they never use it and could avoided the cost? "Regret" may seem like a strong word but would consider not having it on their next rig?

The soccer mom and downtown executive LOVES their 4x4 Jeep or SUV but i suspect never use it but like the image.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The 2% of the time that I need it, I NEED IT. Although, I might be all the way up to 10% usage now, thanks to the storms last week.

Better judgement only applies if you have the information, and the opportunity. Take away either, and you'll quickly be trading your ride for a 4WD. Mud covered in sugar sand gives no clue to make a decision with. A sudden downpour on a ''not so sandy clay'' road, gives no opportunity to change your mind.

4WD's are pretty pathetic without at least one locker. 2wd's get stuck at state park campgrounds when someone makes a turn too short and ends up with a wheel in the grass. Beyond sad, very embarrassing.

billiebob

How often do you ACTUALLY require a 4x4?
I don't use 4WD just because it looks like I'll get stuck, I use 4WD so I can get places without the need for speed or the need for momentum. And I use 4LO so I can go slow over rough ground. I find 4WD makes it easy to tread lightly, makes the ride far more comfortable, lets me look around and enjoy the scenery more.

I use 4WD lots, but rarely because I might get stuck without it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't use 4WD just because it looks like I'll get stuck, I use 4WD so I can get places without the need for speed or the need for momentum. And I use 4LO so I can go slow over rough ground.

Ditto this. My 4WD conversion was more about slowing down. I don't have enough travel to rock crawl or run prerunner speeds through the desert. There's a dearth of locker choices for the rear of my rig anyhow. But I can easily switch to 4LO and just plod along over uneven terrain without stressing the suspension and rattling the cabinets, and without riding the brakes.

rruff

Explorer
This is a question for those that actually have a rig and go exploring.
A bit of a loaded question i know... but it's for those that don't park at Walmart for weeks, but do go on logging roads but don't enjoy going to a campsites beside the highway but do travel in developing countries but don't go into mud bogs just to get dirty....you get the point.

I lived in a 2wd Toyota truck with camper for 13 years. All over the west out in the boonies, far from humans. Gawd I beat the crap out of that truck. Clearance sucked so I just bounced off the frame, gas tank, oil pan, etc (a lot). Momentum. My low gear was slipping the clutch in 1st.

I never got stuck in mud because I like sunshine and dry, so I can't speak to that. Got stuck in sand regularly, but *always* got out with a shovel and airing down. That and a big nylon rope were the extent of my recovery equipment.

4wd and low gears are way less drama in adventurous situations. But if you *really* want a cabover style vs a regular pickup, and can't get 4wd then I'd do it. Upgrade the tires and suspension, maybe lower gears and a locker.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Depends where you want to go or choose to go. I have to say on our travels though Mexico we used 4x4 briefly in some circumstances but if I did not have that option I would have driven differently and not go to the spots I did. 4x4 can actually get you in trouble because you know you can use it if you need to. If you didn’t have it you wouldn’t have taken the chance in the first place and never get stuck. I think driving skills is far more important than 4x4 or not. And clearance is up there. I have a fuso 4x4

biggoolies

Adventurer
One time I really got stuck in sand. I didn’t have an option to air down unfortunately since I had no compressor or air tank. But sand ladders were what saved my bacon. Not 4x4. I knew the area was dicey so if I had any common sense I would have avoided the area but a beautiful beach with a beautiful ocean view clouded my judgement. I think if you take recovery gear sand ladders and had the ability to air down you can go a long ways with a 2wd cabover. We go to some pretty dicey areas only using our 2wd and never switch over. 4x4 does make the trip a little easier and at times I switch into it just to make it more comfortable however.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
With both of my vans 4wd was more about control and making sure I didn't get stuck.
Rain during the night can really change a campsite or road as others mentioned.
Hard sand with soft spots can stop you instantly.
I am of the school of engaging all my levers and buttons BEFORE I need them rather than wait and see.

billiebob

If you *really* want a cabover style vs a regular pickup, and can't get 4wd then I'd do it.
This ^^^ nothing wrong with 2WD in a cabover with duals, a rear locker and a low rear end ratio.
Low gearing, duals and a locker in a heavier vehicle work well.
Commercial vehicles tend to be well setup for slow speeds.

Ducstrom

I don't have any experience with it in a cab over configuration, but I wouldn't own a truck without 4x4.
I've had to 'rescue' my father in law from the road right in front of his house when he tried to go driving in about 8" of fresh snow. He had a 2wd dodge with an open diff.
Not to pick on dodges but I had a very similar open diff 2wd dodge at work and actually ended up getting stuck with all 4 wheels on the pavement when it was wet out. I pulled a U-turn in the road and dropped one front wheel into a paved catch basin. It was a deep catch basin and I couldn't pull forward without bottoming the truck on the road. I couldn't back up either as I'd unloaded the suspension on the rear tire enough that it was just spinning. Nothing around to put on top of the CB and drive out I had to wait for someone to give me a pull out.

Pretty unique situation, but embarassing getting a truck stuck with all four tires on pavement blocking a lane and a half of traffic.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I went hunting in AZ- I brought my 2WD f150 for the nicer, faster and more economical ride from San Diego to AZ. No rain in the forecast and I knew the dirt road. It had rained prior so the road was saturated. It rained. I got MASSIVELY stuck and messed up my truck. Get 4x4, when you need it, you NEED it.

Some things I didn't even think about with 2x4 vs 4x4 is legit tow points on the front. I don't have those on my 2wd truck.

Needless to say- I will never ever not own a 4x vehicle again.

Get 4x4.

rohat

Depends where you want to go or choose to go. I have to say on our travels though Mexico we used 4x4 briefly in some circumstances but if I did not have that option I would have driven differently and not go to the spots I did. 4x4 can actually get you in trouble because you know you can use it if you need to. If you didn’t have it you wouldn’t have taken the chance in the first place and never get stuck. I think driving skills is far more important than 4x4 or not. And clearance is up there. I have a fuso 4x4
Considering Fuso but it's a pain and $ to convert to 4x4 and thus the question. I've driven my Odyssey, Mini, dads station wagon, cheapo rental through snow storms, Patagonia and outback New Zealand and rarely got stuck....but I dont want to invest big bucks into a cabover just to find I shoulda sprung for the $ as I'm stuck in Panama in a bog.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Considering Fuso but it's a pain and $ to convert to 4x4 and thus the question. I've driven my Odyssey, Mini, dads station wagon, cheapo rental through snow storms, Patagonia and outback New Zealand and rarely got stuck....but I dont want to invest big bucks into a cabover just to find I shoulda sprung for the $ as I'm stuck in Panama in a bog.
Yes. I understand your concern. But if that concerns you to spend the money and then regret then you are better off going for the 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior