Irwin the 1995 Disco (200tdi and 5 Spd swapped)

Colorofkris

Turns out it’s the swivel joint on the driver’s side again. Got the rover on stands this morning and there is play in the wheel again. Pulled the wheel off and the hub, nothing out of order. Friday I’ll break it down all the way to the swivel ball and check the preloads and see if there is still a hole Asher in there or if it’s gone again like before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
That's the Kingpins. What preload ddid you set it to last time? On the bench (without the seal) it's 1.5kgs, but on the vehiclke, with the seal (and preferably two stanless clamping plates) it's 7kgs!

Colorofkris

That's the Kingpins. What preload ddid you set it to last time? On the bench (without the seal) it's 1.5kgs, but on the vehiclke, with the seal (and preferably two stanless clamping plates) it's 7kgs!

I didn’t check I know I used the 2 existing shims on the top side and 1 washer on the bottom. Everything torqued up and ran great until recent. Earlier this year when I did it I was in a rush and didn’t get to really break it down as much as I wanted to, I was in a side lot with no garage access. Rebuilt it on an old rug and a tote lid. This time I won’t be in such a rush since I have a jeep to drive in the mean time and a better space to work on it as well as all my tools. I’m going to pull it all apart tomorrow and Saturday in hopes to get a parts list together to order Sat night. I will update my findings then! I will also be ordering new rod ends for the steering. I know those need to be replaced too.

Colorofkris

Ended up being the hub. The lock nut spun off and allowed the nut that fastened to the bearings came loose. Took everything apart and inspected the bearings and seating areas to make sure nothing was damaged. Did some research on the proper way to fasten up the hub to make sure it didn’t happen again, turns out the procedure I followed from the beginning of the year, which came from the tear down and reinstallation of the swivel joint, did not provide the proper information for installing the double nut for the wheel bearings. I reinstalled the wheel bearings and hubs properly and went ahead on the passenger side and fixed that side so it’s properly fastened as well since I followed the original procedure for that side as well. That being said the rover drove light years better. The shake from 45-65 is now gone, steering feels better as well, feels more precise. I am still getting a shake from 65-70 however so I will keep digging. I know that just about every piece of the rover that moves still needs to be replaced (and even most of the parts that don’t move) so I will just keep chipping away at it.

Coming up soon though I have a new air filter and valve cover gasket to install. The gasket should be here at the beginning of the year. I also picked up some matte black vinyl wrap to do the hood.

Colorofkris

Met up with a fellow Rover enthusiast today and did some cruising around through horse pasture road this afternoon.

4f277667382180010a3de2762da3459a.jpg

626709fa31adc2329175221c9c99be89.jpg

90fdad240c2194eff7826cdde26b514f.jpg

718f514f54696cb941a29a317619bf50.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip Report - Dill Falls

After having 2 negative Rover experiences out in the Dill Falls area (where the Range Rover died & where my oil pressure sensor went out on the discovery), I wanted to make a redemption run. I had Rob with his Lr3 join as well as Adam with his Lr4 (which joined my horse pasture ride on my previous update.

The ride out to the falls is a long twisty up hill hwy called 178 & 215, way more fun on the sport bikes, but it’s a beautiful scenic ride through the blue ridge mountains. Once we hit the dirt road we made our way to Dill Falls which is only a few miles into the national forest road (Pisgah). We hiked the short stent to the lower falls where we explored around, climbed some rocks and some ice. The falls were pretty frozen still as you can see in the photos below.

As we headed further into the the forest we ran across some mud/icy patches which we fun to navigate. The disco did it with ease but the lr3 & 4 being a bit heavy had to navigate it a little harder.

Once we reached the end of the road we set up for lunch. Made it easy by picking up some subs from jersey mikes.

After lunch we headed to a turn off on the main nf road that takes you down to hwy 281 I believe, this is the fun part! It’s about 2 miles long, rocky, rutted out, and a good short off-road experience to test out the rigs. Adam is fairly new with his lr4 so it was a good chance to test out the rig, I had done it in the range rover more then 2 years ago but didn’t get to do it in the discovery yet. Rob sat out with the lr3 since he just got it fixed last week. The lr4 cake walked the whole road twice and the discovery did great as well. Got the chance to test the hose clamps on the rear springs which seemed to keep them in place. The discovery has an impressive amount of flex!

After hitting the off-road section we headed back down the nf road to 215 where we parted ways and headed home!

bf379653d013e8cf5279d9d9a1a5a8fc.jpg

fa6209fe4974efa32b7443a1d3666287.jpg

a8696eaa933f790baa87371e0e2c89da.jpg

d621c6ceea8fa488a7c1f6f007d462e7.jpg

059829c1bea3a16630d7fe69e423cce5.jpg

4cb3173bf19e72d772c5ad51b04989a0.jpg

da6a351eeaa905d001e7c25477a0ebaa.jpg

96eca914b53ffb3b6a41229a4ec85dda.jpg

Colorofkris

Heading off on another adventure tomorrow. Hoping to get some work done on the rover before hand. I received the new transmission mount today and I also got in the matte vinyl wrap for the hood. Stay tuned for an update in the coming days!

Colorofkris

Trip Report - Overnight GA
What better way to start off a camp trip then with 2 big “L”’s. Yep…that’s me. I kicked off the morning by trying to wrap my hood. Turns out the wrap I bought wasn’t much of a wrap and more of just a decal. As I tried to stretch the “wrap” to fit the hood it ended up tearing. I scrapped the idea of wrapping it and went a head and packed for camping. The plan was to meet up at Adams house and swap the transmission mount out in his drive way since it’s flat and should (key word there is “should”, this is where “L” #2 comes into play) have been an easy swap. First nut came off no problem, second nut however on the top end of the mount…completely stripped. I decided to not spend too much time on it today and to just pack up the tools and head out for some camping and exploring.

Our trip started in Travelers rest, we headed west on highway 11 to walhalla where we headed up into Mountain View through Sumter NF and then into GA. We spent the better part of the day driving the endless gravel and dirt roads that Sumter has to offer. This is my first time exploring Sumter NF but I have driven through many times and I will say it didn’t disappoint. There was a lot of fun wash outs to climb, light rocky sections, a few muddy bits, and surprisingly a lot of ice patches even though the weather has warmed up a great bit over the past few days. While out exploring around i decided to brave and icy mud hole. It gave the disco a run for its money, it was a good bit deeper then expected and the ground was very slick, she chugged up with a big puff of black smoke and crawled out through. Adam did not attempt it in the Lr4 for good reason, he recently went through the pain and suffering of replacing a motor on his lr4 from a similar venture that didn’t go as well.

A few miles down the road we stopped to get our bearings on the gps so we could start looking for camp when I smelled what seemed to be burning rubber. Turns out my hella light’s decided to burn up a fuse. Could have been a lot worse but it melted the fuse and the hella lamp fuse box. That ordeal will be another project for another day, since they all need to be rewired anyways. I pulled the wires running to the battery and called it a day.

We pressed on to camp and after what seemed like hours of endless dirt roads (not complaining) we rolled up into camp just in time to set up before dark. After popping the tent and the awning I grilled up some steaks be veggies on the flat top grill. Everyone was pretty dang hungry so we wasted no time in devouring dinner. After food we started a camp fire and spent the rest of the evening relaxing and talking about our outdoor aspirations for the coming year. As the fire died out and the rain started to make its way in we decided to hit the sheets and head to bed.

I woke up the next morning to some light rain which was to be expected. After getting up I cranked up the flat top and made some darn good breakfast burritos if I do say so myself. We rushed to pack up camp after breakfast as the rain started to really come in.

The ride out of the forest was foggy, rain, and a little muddy. We decided on taking a portion of the SCAR (South Carolina Adventure Route) back to highway 11 where we parted ways. The route home passed some frozen waterfalls and some nice scenery but it wasn’t anything close to what we rode the day before. As we made our way to the end of the last dirt road a hawk flew down and in front of Adams Lr4 were it coasted with us for about 40 feet on a straight. That was pretty neat.

That wraps up our Rover year! One last little trip in 2022 which has been a mostly uneventful year being that the rover was gone for repair for most of it. Next year I hope to make a big one with rover adventures so stay tuned! Also keep an eye out on my YouTube Channel “Venture Valzone” for updates and trip videos.

cff5614cff10676305ee5141fbd270b4.jpg

a4a777f477555d9e49e7f4e80637d270.jpg

e58824fc377e9fd5ee4c87fba3c09d5e.jpg

901fa7d339850f3723db31e349053db7.jpg

94a70dd807dbc2a42d7451b44b1d9d38.jpg

d639a8787d9b402d8d82abcf2482693a.jpg

a9c3c0936b8f2ba9a5d0f5e225166ddc.jpg

7ecdb47619f915dbaff89105fffbe630.jpg

6bc9910245b1879ff68f5c793bc31971.jpg

0393afa3fcd7e2f06d3468da1f7c6e54.jpg

Colorofkris

Finally got a maintenance day in yesterday and technically this morning as well. I still have a bit more to do on my list but was cut short due to rain.

I started off yesterday by doing the rocker panel gasket and an oil change. I quickly learned that the rocker panel oil plugs were a thing. Turns out on the process I had lost the rear one and it was leaking a good bit of oil from the rear. Luckily Rovers North was able to send me a new set of oil plug overnight.

After I fingered up the oil change I worked on the transmission mount on the passenger side, the top bolt was stripped so I ended up removing the mounting bracket from the transfer case. The mount was rough and when I pulled the weight off of the mount it broke in half. (Pic below) got to get out the ol cutting wheel and was able to hack off the nut. Truck feels a lot more solid after replacing it.

Also did the air filter a few weeks ago, which I think I posted about.

I ordered new transmission fluid as well to top it off next week. Next week I’m hoping to dig into the wiring mess for the Hellas to try and figure out which lights got fried and see if I can get the fog lights working again. Last but not least once my yard isn’t a mud bog I’ll do a tire rotation and recheck the hubs to make sure they are still tight.

I’m meeting up with The Greenville Land Rover Club at Rigs & Coffee this weekend so expect an update from that!

Some other upcoming projects
-Sway bar link spacers
-Tie Rod Ends
-Steering stabilizer

93c32fce7cf17f0a1e8b2c85a31ef04b.jpg

631e9246da260706d754886e294b586d.jpg

5ab75f55990b92fe7718b151bfd37d73.jpg

bc332dac1acb24f5e0920e7a23d9ca46.jpg

60ff4d68f69939f530665b298820d6ab.jpg

c18973c39f84a3810e9fbca458901cc3.jpg

Colorofkris

Rigs and coffee was a good little meet up for the Greenville Land Rover Club! Didn’t stay to long due to the cold weather and the low turnout for the event. Adam and I decided to go climb at the rock gym instead of sticking around.

e26ede9dd16cdc4edb363defb81b68d4.jpg

9a48c04d19800c14fcbbf1008cb7f0ad.jpg

Colorofkris

Interesting engine mounts. Not standard. Try ANR2488 or ANR1808. The latter are the best

I’m not sure why this was the mount that was previously used, but it was an easy replacement and inexpensive as well. I’m guessing whomever built the truck had a reason they used this style from the d2.

Colorofkris

Alright the shake is back again with a vengeance. Took a quick inspection before work again and the dang hubs are loose again. I’ve been looking at parts and diagrams all evening and realized that the inner washer that was installed may be the same washer used for locking the nuts. I was unaware that they were different washers. That being said the o.d. Of the inner washer is smaller and I’m guessing the issue I’m running into is that the bearing isn’t full seating against the washer properly due to the over size o.d.. I will be pulling the wheels off again tomorrow if the rain holds up to seed if I can figure out what’s going on. In the process I’ll be doing a tire rotation as well and a few odds and ends too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles