Ironman Vs. OME

red87

Adventurer
I just picked up a Mitsuishi Montero and suspension options are pretty limited. I knew about OME's offering and thanks to the ad on the ExPo main page, I discovered Ironman. As far as I understand, Ironman is another Aussie company who competes with OME. What I don't know is who makes a better product. Ironman's system is cheaper than OME which is nice but I don't mind paying a little more for better quality. Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
From what I've read the Ironman stuff isn't as robust as the OME product. I was considering them briefly for a suspension on the FJ60, popular opinion on other forums changed my mind.

Oh really? When are you doing that? Do you realize we're basically on the exact same build path? You've just got a month or two head start :smiley_drive:

Heh, probably not. I'm currently between jobs and wifey doesn't care about suspension or ARB bumpers. :sombrero:

Sounds like I'll have an interview next week, though, which means I could actually start working on my truck.

As far as OME vs Ironman. To me, its price point. Springs and shocks are wear items. They all wear out eventually. I'd feel it safe to assume that if the IM parts wear at a 3/4 rate to OME for 3/4 of the price, then bang per buck leans in favor of the Ironman. (That makes sense in my head):confused:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Who in the US sells their products and where are you guys getting your pricing from?

S

Squatchout

I can't comment on the Iornman but I have OME 029 SHD leaf springs, shackles, poly bushings and HD nitrocharger shocks on my 1st gen Trooper. I've got over 30k miles on them now and usually loaded down with a boat or trailer in tow. Best shocks I've ever run on one of these. The whole system works very well together. The rear springs ride amazingly well considering the crazy weight capacity springs I'm running. When loaded down with fire wood filling the back and also my m416 loaded full in tow it handles better than an empty stock truck. My only complaint with OME is the paint doesn't last long on the leaf springs when subjected to heavy doses of road salt.

P9300023Small.jpg

Normal load on my OME springs day in day out.
Picture157Small.jpg

Picture013Small.jpg

Last edited:

TurboChris

Adventurer
Hmmmm, I view it differently. I've had bunches of Cars/trucks in the last 20 years that I've done suspension on. Shocks, springs etc. While yes, they will wear out eventually....I've yet to do it. Even the trucks that I kept for extended periods and miles.....(1 6 years that I put 60k miles on - 1 10 years & 85k miles) When I replaced them the shocks/springs were still in great shape. I've never had to replace suspension that wore out (that I'd already replaced once)

Now if you intend to keep it forever....sure...but I don't usually keep mine more than 5-6 years.
Now that said...I will buy the best I can afford...but one suspension lasting longer than another is usually not one of my considerations.

As far as OME vs Ironman. To me, its price point. Springs and shocks are wear items. They all wear out eventually. I'd feel it safe to assume that if the IM parts wear at a 3/4 rate to OME for 3/4 of the price, then bang per buck leans in favor of the Ironman. (That makes sense in my head):confused:

S

Squatchout

Yep, shocks wear out in a few years but GOOD springs will go for 300k or more.

chasespeed

Explorer
Vote for OME here..... I have never even heard of the Ironman stuff until today... just that was a trim option on the VX......

I have run a few different sets of OME coils, and NO COMPLAINTS... in fact, I was pretty impressed with them for the price....

I am Bilstein fan... so... I wont go into shocks...

I havent worn out a set fo springs yet either..... I have seen some old 1 ton trucks and vans that sag, and some plow trucks....but....

But, think about it...those springs are supporting your ride, and everything in it..... Every broken a spring? I have..(my fault).....

Again, I know nothing about the other company... but, I will go with the one that has a solid reputation....

My 2 cents...

Chase

CYi5

Explorer
I say OME and try out their new Nitro Sport shocks. I've heard they are stiffer than the regular nitro charger which may be to your advantage. Then again I also found out how to run 5150's on there.

Last edited:

red87

Adventurer
I say OME and try out their new Nitro Sport shocks. I've heard they are stiffer than the regular nitro charger which may be to your advantage. Then again I also found out how to run 5150's on there.

5150s on the Monteros?

Hedge

Adventurer
"Ironman and OME Side-by-Side--Death Valley"

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/460923-ironman-ome-side-side-death-valley.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online