Ironman, EFS or OME (Old Man Emu) suspension for 80-Series overlander?

MikesVX80

Observer
I'm not looking to buy immediately (got a couple of other bits to sort first to get a solid "baseline") but my next major investment will be in a 2" lift kit for my 80-Series. The reasons for this requirement are two-fold; firstly, to replace the standard, tired shocks and springs to improve the ride comfort and handling (on-road and off), and secondly to provide a little more ground clearance and increased payload capacity for overland use.

Ignoring specific spring rates for now, what is everyone's opinion of the Ironman 4x4 kit? Paul at Westcost 4x4 really recommends it (he would of course, he does sell them ;)) but I know John Reader of Trailmasters has an Ironman kit on his 80 and that gets used fairly hard too without issues!

However, Julian @ Overland Cruisers is very critical of Ironman gear, viewing it very much as budget replacement equipment and not up to the job of overland travel, and recommends OME kit.

I have also spoken to Devon 4x4, who recommended OME (which they have in stock) but when asked would also supply EFS kit (which they have to order in).

By way of comparison, the full Ironman kit is around £700 (including the higher-spec foam cell shocks and steering damper, all ex. fitting), whereas the full OME kit is anywhere between £900-£1,000 (inc. steering damper, ex. fitting), so quite a chunk more! EFS lies somewhere in between, and although cost is not the driving factor, I don't have anything to support the higher price of the OME kit.

Last point - I am also considering air "helper" springs for the rear (e.g. from www.mattsavage.com), this will allow me to perfectly tune the ride height of the vehicle and allow me to use a slightly softer rear spring to improve ride quality in normal (non-Overland) use. So, I could use a 200kg rear spring (rather than the 350-400kg I would otherwise need) which would be great in day to day use, and with the addition of air helper springs also be perfectly suitable for Overlanding - perfect!

I would be very interested to hear of anyone with actual experience of these kits (quality, reliability, performance), both on and offroad please.

Thanks

Summit Cruisers Jr

I have the Ironman with foam cells. I've also had the Nitro gas shocks. No complaints at all. It improved the ride drastically from the old stuff that was on the truck. Whenever I'm loaded down with the RTT, cooler, and a bunch of gear, the rear starts to sag, but I just ordered a rear airlift 1000 (part number 60755) kit for the rear springs. Hopefully I'll get to installing them this weekend.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have the Ironman heavy kit with the foam shocks on my 100, and have been very pleased with it so far. I've run OME on my old 80 Series, as well. As for the springs, I haven't noticed a difference, and the Ironman have performed well over general "overland" conditions. I've found that the foam cell shocks have a small "bounce" when stopping...almost imperceptible, but there. I'll likely change over to a set of OME Nitrochargers for that reason, but not because the shocks are bad; just personal preference.

-H-

concretejungle

Adventurer
IMHO for overlanding in the heavy 80 series you are going to be carrying a lot of weight in addition to its already heavy self. Once you load it up, anything less than a heavy lift will just not cut it.

I personally absolutely love Slee's 4 inch heavy progressive spring lift with the OME sport shocks. When my truck is loaded for a trip it rides like a cadillac. It also performs very well off-road. Also, because of the progressive portion it does not ride like a rock wagon without a load like i expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not a cadillac empty, but it is loaded.

I did one very serious, long distance wheeling trip (NC to CA, wheeled Rubicon and then drove back home) with the OME medium lift and as soon as i got home i tossed that lift and got the 4 inch heavy. The other lift was a good lift, don't get me wrong, but completely loaded it was just too soft and would wallow in turns and bottom out.

Personally if my two choices were OME vs. Ironman, i would vote OME.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
OME and be done with it. There's a reason they are in 80% or more of all modded Land Cruisers world wide.

alan

Explorer
well we have been fitting 4x4 suspension and accessories for over 30 years in Australia, out of 10 Ironman would rate about a 2 OME 7 and EFS around the 5 mark, if you want the best available you go for Koni or Bilsteins, noting that Bilsteins in Australia are valved and tested for Australia.

concretejungle

Adventurer
alan does make a good point about the shocks.... usually the shocks are valved to match the springs... for the most part. So make sure that you are comparing spring rates and shock rates, otherwise you might complain that the springs are not what you thought only to realize that the limiting factor is the shock not being tuned to the spring.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
IMHO for overlanding in the heavy 80 series you are going to be carrying a lot of weight in addition to its already heavy self. Once you load it up, anything less than a heavy lift will just not cut it.

I personally absolutely love Slee's 4 inch heavy progressive spring lift with the OME sport shocks. When my truck is loaded for a trip it rides like a cadillac. It also performs very well off-road. Also, because of the progressive portion it does not ride like a rock wagon without a load like i expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not a cadillac empty, but it is loaded.

I did one very serious, long distance wheeling trip (NC to CA, wheeled Rubicon and then drove back home) with the OME medium lift and as soon as i got home i tossed that lift and got the 4 inch heavy. The other lift was a good lift, don't get me wrong, but completely loaded it was just too soft and would wallow in turns and bottom out.

Personally if my two choices were OME vs. Ironman, i would vote OME.

Good to hear. I have decided on the Slee 4", HD progressive in the rear. I got brand new 863J's in the back. Unloaded at about 6200ishlbs it rides fine and great. Loaded up for a long trip I am pushing 7,000lbs. Then it sags and performs poorly.

Shocks there are some great options available now for the 80's. You have got radflo's, these I have heard mixed reviews on. You have got several choices on Fox. You can also get King's in as big as a 2.5. These are custom built for an 80 with 4" of lift and not cheap at $500 a corner but they are bolt in, no adapters. Top of the line best you can get too. King also makes a stock or slightly lifted off the shelf shock now for 80's. A Fox remote reservoir in 2.0 is roughly $250 or slightly less per corner. There is also a cheap Fox emulsion shock available too. Then you have Slee's. All these shocks can be valved to suit your weight, uses and build. They are also all rebuild-able except for the Fox emulsion.

I am currently running Fox 2.0's. I like them but am going to have the rear's re-valved since I am getting heavy back there loaded. The fronts I am happy with. I may go King 2.5's in the rear, going to do the Slee HDP first along with a re-valve on the shocks and go from there.

Down South Motor Sports does both the King and the Fox. I have dealt with Neil there. Real happy with their customer service, it is top notch. They do re-valves for free too. They can do custom built lengths too. They know 80's.

Cheers

Summit Cruisers Jr

Good to hear. I have decided on the Slee 4", HD progressive in the rear. I got brand new 863J's in the back. Unloaded at about 6200ishlbs it rides fine and great. Loaded up for a long trip I am pushing 7,000lbs. Then it sags and performs poorly.

Shocks there are some great options available now for the 80's. You have got radflo's, these I have heard mixed reviews on. You have got several choices on Fox. You can also get King's in as big as a 2.5. These are custom built for an 80 with 4" of lift and not cheap at $500 a corner but they are bolt in, no adapters. Top of the line best you can get too. King also makes a stock or slightly lifted off the shelf shock now for 80's. A Fox remote reservoir in 2.0 is roughly $250 or slightly less per corner. There is also a cheap Fox emulsion shock available too. Then you have Slee's. All these shocks can be valved to suit your weight, uses and build. They are also all rebuild-able except for the Fox emulsion.

I am currently running Fox 2.0's. I like them but am going to have the rear's re-valved since I am getting heavy back there loaded. The fronts I am happy with. I may go King 2.5's in the rear, going to do the Slee HDP first along with a re-valve on the shocks and go from there.

Down South Motor Sports does both the King and the Fox. I have dealt with Neil there. Real happy with their customer service, it is top notch. They do re-valves for free too. They can do custom built lengths too. They know 80's.

Cheers

Don't forget about Icon Vehicle Dynamics either. They have three stages of shocks that vary in price.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Icon is a great shock. I had slee tell me that he actually designs the 4 inch spring around the OME sport shock, so that's what i went with. He also said that in his opinion, unless you are racing across the desert or getting crazy, the radflow and other expensive shocks are overkill.

I have been very happy with my setup.

MikesVX80

Observer
OME and be done with it. There's a reason they are in 80% or more of all modded Land Cruisers world wide.

Yeah, good marketing! ;)

well we have been fitting 4x4 suspension and accessories for over 30 years in Australia, out of 10 Ironman would rate about a 2 OME 7 and EFS around the 5 mark, if you want the best available you go for Koni or Bilsteins, noting that Bilsteins in Australia are valved and tested for Australia.

I've been hearing great things about EFS, why would you rate them lower than OME?

Pretty sure Ironman and OME springs are made in the same factory by King Springs.

OME are made under licence by Monroe for ARB in Australia. Ironman make their own stuff in China I believe.

Having one various other research I think I am going to go down the EFS route; whilst not as well known as OME, the user reviews I have read elsewhere recommend EFS over OME, so will give them a try!

T4R@DNA

Observer
Depend on your pocket book: I bought 2.5 OME kit for my 80 series, money well spent for Overland if you ask me. The ride quality is superb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior