Ironman 4x4 IceCube Fridge bad thermometer sensor probe fixed.

MonkeyProof

I've had my 50L Ironman 4x4 fridge for nearly 3 years now. I'm also the 3rd owner of this fridge. The previous owners were @wheeleveryweekend who had owned it for sometime before I acquired it from them. They got it from some dude at pirate4x4. So, there's some history and abuse behind my fridge. It's definitely beat up, but works great. Until very recently when the internal temps wouldn't remain steady as where it was set too. Instead, it was all wacky freezing beers. And that my friends is never a good thing.

The display would read 117° when it had nearly sub zero temps internally.

I contacted customer support at Ironman4x4 USA and told them my sad story. Right away the thermometer sensor probe was suspected to be at fault. I was asked to check the temperature variances between the bottom and top of the fridge with a thermometer to verify it was indeed the thermometer sensor probe. The customer support I had recieved was outstanding! And luckily for me, the temperature sensor probe is only $10 with free shipping, how rad is that?

https://ironman4x4america.com/replacement-icecube-fridge-thermometer-probe/

It's a very straight forward procedure to remove and replace the probe following the directions that were provided.

Once the lower corner cover is removed to expose the circuit board. You'll need to create some working room in order to unplug the thermometer probe from it's connector at the circuit board. These two steps are not mentioned in the Ironman 4x4 instructions, but will help out a lot.

Remove the Brown and Blue wires from the connector.
20200110_174726.jpg

Remove this bracket that is held in place by three screws.
20200110_151509.jpg

The thermometer probe sensor connector at the circuit board is located here.
20200110_174501.jpg

Looks like this.
20200110_180015.jpg

Remove one screw here, and use a pocket screwdriver to raise the wire hold down while removing the wire.
20200110_151659.jpg

Using the same pocket screwdriver, push back the caulking and remove the sensor.
20200110_151747.jpg

The new sensor will go in all the way until it bottoms out.

Old sensor on the left, and the new one on the right. The old sensor body is plastic, the new one is made of metal.
20200110_151936.jpg

And finally, here's why the temperatures were all wacky, the body of the sensor was cracked.. bummer
20200110_181446.jpg

Attachments

• Temp Probe Replacement IM.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
That sort of service is SO rare!

And should be by far (with build quality / reliability) the biggest factor in choosing one.

Any idea who the OEM is, which mfg actually makes them? Has that changed over the years?

I'm thinking either Indel-B or Dometic/Waeco

MonkeyProof

That sort of service is SO rare!

And should be by far (with build quality / reliability) the biggest factor in choosing one.

Any idea who the OEM is, which mfg actually makes them? Has that changed over the years?

I'm thinking either Indel-B or Dometic/Waeco
Yes indeed! Customer service treated me as if I was still the original owner, even though I told them right away that I'm now the 3rd owner. I've heard many different rumors over the years as to who makes the actual fridge. In my opinion, it's very similar to the Indel- B.

It has the Danfoss internals stuffed inside, and that seems to be the important thing right? As far as build quality and reliability of this brand of fridge? I'm the 3rd owner, it's taking a beating over the years that shows on the exterior, and it's still going strong. The fridge has to be close to 10 years old. All it took was a $10 temperature probe and about 30 minutes of my time to fix the issue that it had. A minor inconvenience all considering.

john61ct

Adventurer
Indel-B brands include Evakool, Truckfridge, Isotherm, Vitrifrigo, Tundra

also OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth

Bet some model photo hunting would reveal all.

And yes mostly they use Danfoss compressors, now actually call Secop, and yes good stuff.

But the compressors hardly ever fail, the key is being able to get parts like electronic control boards years later, or frankly anyone at all willing to even look at a problem

To much of the world's like, hey 5 years that was a good run, chuck it out and buy a new one 8-(

moose545

I've dealt with Chris up at Ironman4x4 USA and the service is stellar. Hearing this and being in the hunt for a fridge might conclude my search, seeing how the Ironman is much more affordable than the others I was looking at like SnoMaster, ARB, Engel, or National Luna (ruled out due to the side panel display). I'll be giving him a call later I believe.

What slide are you using with the IronMan? I have the GooseGear base plate.

https://ironman4x4america.com/icecube-fridge-freezer-50l-52-quarts/

MonkeyProof

I've dealt with Chris up at Ironman4x4 USA and the service is stellar. Hearing this and being in the hunt for a fridge might conclude my search, seeing how the Ironman is much more affordable than the others I was looking at like SnoMaster, ARB, Engel, or National Luna (ruled out due to the side panel display). I'll be giving him a call later I believe.

What slide are you using with the IronMan? I have the GooseGear base plate.

https://ironman4x4america.com/icecube-fridge-freezer-50l-52-quarts/
Chris was the person who was helping me, stellar customer service indeed.

I currently have the fridge mounted on a DYI platform in the rear portion of the cab of my Tacoma, and I don't think a slidebwouod be practical with how I have it oriented. If I did, it would be with whatever cheapest one I'll find.
20171224_105747.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles