Iron Pig, The FJ55

dar395

Adventurer
Being a pass owner of a FJ 55 Iron Pig as they're known, it's great to see one in action. You may wish to watch the show "Alaska Off Road Warriors" on the History Channel. I'm catching it on ROKU, but I see it's also on u-tube.

This show is some great Toyota action, with a FJ 55 in the lead role, helps pass the long cold winter nights away. Hope you enjoy!:smiley_drive:

True Red-Neck TV, with a little balls.:costumed-smiley-007

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I would love to own one someday as strictly a third/fun/camping truck. But wholly smokes do those things rust! I think the odds of me finding one that I could readily restore are getting slimmer by the day. Beautiful cars in a quirky sort of way! This thread needs pics!

76fj55-008.jpg

1976_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_FJ55_Wagon_For_Sale_Front_1.JPG

toyotafj55.jpg

img_4966-800-jpg.654407

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I heart piggies. I've owned a few and will be picking up another soon. They are rust prone and most think they are an IH but I think they are SEXY. Here is one of my old FJ55's aka Big Bear

big_bear.jpg

As for Offroad Warriors, I think the other two threads summed up the emotion most had to that :D

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Is it true that new FJ-55s started to rust as soon as they left the assembly line paint shop?:)

Well I suppose on a molecular level everything starts to rust just as soon as it is painted... But FJ55's had an accelerated process :D

Look, there are some really clean original FJ55's out there. I personally inspected a ~30k original model specimen that had zero rust. On the flip side I've parted out FJ55's that had more rust than sheet metal left. While their body design (dual pain panels) seemed to inherently make rust not only more prone but certainly more noticible... they also seem to get used and cared for in a manner that promotes the rust too i.e. removeable top vehicles aren't as popular in cold/wet places as the FJ55 was and thus they often live in places that are rust prone. Furthermore FJ55's still haven't hit the 40 Series caché and while 40's were getting "saved" and restored 20 years ago... FJ55's have had a much slower following for restorations and relative values and thus they often sit... continuing to rust away.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Pulled this one out of the woods in front of a guy's house. The frame was sitting on the ground, 4 flats pulled 2 off the rims dragging it out. Rust in the usual spots

1529814_782906458406914_4591047063718172508_o.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Working Pig

Our 1970 Working Pig came with the property. It's lived most of it's life in the Rockies pushing snow. It'll start on the coldest morning and push through the deepest snow. 19,000 miles on it and still going strong! We love it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Here's some pictures of my 71, it's going on 4 years, but getting closer. Starting to rebuild all the door workings and getting all the glass cut now.

Attachments

• IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
A clean and buffed pig is like ptting a dress on a fat *****. . .

They need a faded patina, dents and hole behind the drivers tire to be sexy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke