IPOD with no head unit?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I don't have a radio in my jeep. I mounted my CB in place of the radio in the dash. I don't want to add a head unit but I am wondering if this would work?:

If I added an amp to a speaker box, could I plug my ipod via mini/rca cable to the amp? Would it play thru the speakers without a head unit? Am I missing something? Would the volume control on the IPOD work?

Expedition Leader
I don't have a radio in my jeep. I mounted my CB in place of the radio in the dash. I don't want to add a head unit but I am wondering if this would work?:

Yes.

If I added an amp to a speaker box, could I plug my ipod via mini/rca cable to the amp?

Yes.

Would it play thru the speakers without a head unit?

Yes.

Am I missing something?

No.

Would the volume control on the IPOD work?

Yes.

That's exactly what I run in my FJ40. Amp under the seat, RCA to mini-plug cord between the seat and the Tuffy console, iPod lays on top of the Tuffy when in use, and speakers on the roll cage.

gr1910

Observer
yes it does work... but the remote cable on the amp you need it to conect it to a positive... (maybe you can use a power source that only has power when the car is on)... that way the amp powers up when you start the car...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Perfect, so the amp has 12V power and a remote on wire. can the remote wire be tied to 12V ignition only source, or does that need stepped down somehow?

Just any 12v fused source should work. It should have the input voltage for the remote somewhere though if your really not sure. I've seen dozens wired up right off a 12v source with no problems.

El Solis

Adventurer
I have this device that charges my iPhone and connects to the amp. I ran the control wire to the fuse block and it works great. I had to get an in line volume control but the whole thing was less than $40 since I already had the amp. Can't remember the name of the doohickey thing right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles