iPhone SLR mount

smbisig

Adventurer
Maybe if you already had Nikon lenses. It would be kind of funny to hook one up to my 400mm f/2.8 and see what I can do with it.

Scott Brady

Founder
ridiculous, although imagine if your canon body failed in the field and all you needed was this little adapter ;)

iphone-slr-mount-1982.jpg

ridiculous, although imagine if your canon body failed in the field and all you needed was this little adapter ;)

Yeah, ridiculous in a sense that you already have to carry around the bulky and heavy lenses already, why not just have the body too... But for the ability to instantly take a nice shot and post it on Facebook or Twitter instead of having to upload it onto your computer first, it's kinda cool. And the $250 price tag makes me think it's a tad more mature than just another novelty toy for your iPhone.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Imagine the funny looks you'd get when trying to make a call with a foot-long lens attached to your iPhone!!

ywen

Explorer
wow these ppl are trying to squeeze out the last remaining money one can get out of these DOF devices... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth-of-field_adapter

Same concept as the 35mm adapters that was popular 5 years ago for video cameras, before video capable DSLRs came to market.. I used to own one of these, albeit a bit more advanced with a vibrating ground glass to remove the grains of the glass. Essentially, this solution is the same as pointing the iphone to your DSLR's optical viewfinder and taking the image from that.

letus-mini-hand-held-01.jpg

I see these ppl didn't even bother to invest in creating a photo app for the iphone that flips the image for you. This is indeed the epitome of a crude solution. The only thing they had to engineer was the adapter for the iphone. The ground glass tube that comes with it has already been developed by various people online and is a very simple DIY project. I guess the $250 asking price takes into account the volume (or lack of volume) they expect the product will sell.

Michael Slade

Untitled
That Letus adapter is pretty cool actually. Big, bulky and heavy, not to mention a bit cumbersome...but it does what it does pretty well. I filmed a commercial for Harmon's last year using one and a tilt/shift Canon lens on it.

You can see the commercial here.

But, I agree with everything you said about the crude solution for the iPhone. The gallery that Scott shared of the soldier's photography from Afghanistan prove that with an iPhone you do not need any fancy gadgets, you just need access and a willingness to tell a story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles