iPad vs. iPad Mini for Backcountry Travel

carbon60

Explorer
Another option is the iPhone 6+...not much smaller than an iPad mini...

The iPhone 6 Plus has a crazy good screen and a huge battery, which makes it a great option. It's also so bloody expensive that even the Apple-loving gear head that I am couldn't stomach the cost.

A.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Considering that there is no tablet on the market (that I know of) that will connect via satelite on its own, Its a non-issue.

I can understand the desire to stay connected. I am most of the time via an Ipad Air and my IPhone.
But that is on the road, in the air, and in the office,

I simply do not see the need for it in the backcountry.
As it is, backcountry by simple definition is a remote place that is not-accessible by vehicle.

Are you saying that you are hauling all this crap in on your back?

You're mistaken in thinking we're using iPads in the back country to stay connected. We're only using their integrated gps with previously downloaded mapping software. No other data is transmitted in the field otherwise.

HTH.

PDragon

Does the iPad need to be a 3G model or will wifi and downloaded maps work?

If wifi only... you can download the maps using wifi and store them in the IPad for offline use. However, you'll need an external GPS unit to provide signal to the wifi IPad.
If you have a 3G model (or newer) it already comes with a GPS chip included (so no need to buy an external GPS device; however make sure to download the maps before leaving 3G coverage).

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I just recently purchased the GAIA app and they had it partnered with Topo offline maps for 10 off, so it was still a 20 dollar purchase,
I have a DUAL GPS ant coming also,

I run a TechDeck in my Tacoma also and have a basic iPad mount for it from RAM.
I currently have a 64GB iPad 4th Gen that works plenty fine for me. I could see the Mini fitting better in my truck but being 6'4" anyways the iPad doesn't seem so large.

I am wanting to learn this system as I want to explore a bit of WNC and having the maps already on the tablet and being able to save my waypoints on my downloaded maps is great.

jtaoj

Hi can an iPhone be linked to a non gps enabled iPad to provide gps functionality? I have both and want use the iPad for a larger screen gps. Thanks in advance.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think the iPad mini is a perfect size, but I opted to go with the Air 2 because it has a significantly more powerful processor. Does this matter today? Absolutely not... But I figured that I could get a lot more life out of it over the years. The usability of my first gen iPad went down the tubes pretty quickly because every new version of iOS would slow it down immensely. I just figured that if I was spending that much money on something, I want it to last as long as possible (i.e. be as future proof as possible).

IT's even worse now, lot of apps are no longer backward compatible, likewise the OS, it's been left behind. Which is just as well as my iPad 1's battery is finally failing to last more than two days, fully charged, unplugged and turned off. IIRC it's something like 500 charging cycles and kaput for these things.

On the plus side, apple sells certified warrantied 'refurbished' models for pretty good prices. Likewise Walmart. If a person is ok with be a generation or two behind, you can save quite a bit of money over the bleeding edge.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles