iPad not receiving GPS like it should

rnArmy

Adventurer
I downloaded GAIA (premium version or whatever it is called) on both my little android phone, and on my gen 7 iPad. I'm doing the TAT this summer, and was able to get the TAT maps downloaded on both devices. That's not the problem.

The GPS works just fine on the phone. The little arrow shows me where I'm going on GAIA. On the iPad (with GAIA pulled-up), it keeps telling me I've got poor GPS signal (or it is searching for a GPS signal) even when both devices are literally within six inches of each other. So the iPad won't show the arrow, won't show elevation or speed. I think I've got both devices set-up the same.

Is there something about a gen 7 iPad that is poor to receive GPS signals? is there something I need to download on my iPad so it will pull in GPS signals better? I'm happy with GAIA in general, it seems my iPad isn't wanting to do what I want (which is let me utilize GAIA).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is the iPad a WiFi-only or is a cell data capable? Apple doesn't have GPS available in WiFi-only iPads. I'm not sure if Gaia knows that or whether iOS location services would report this to the apps since location would still be available through WiFi potentially.

roving1

If it is a WIFI only model it does not contain the ability to use gps. Only the models with cellular data capability have the guts inside to enable using it as a stand alone GPS. You don't need any data contract to use it for Gaia only that the gps chip exists on those models and not the WIFI only models. (Jinx-Me and Dave posted at the same time)

rnArmy

Adventurer
So if I understand you two correctly, some iPads only receive signal from WIFI, and some will also allow you to connect to GPS if they are "cell data capable". That's making sense. So how do I tell if my iPad is "cell data capable"? Would it be in "Settings" somewhere? Is there another term for "cell data capable"?

That would kinda suck if my iPad (which I got for my birthday in July) wouldn't work for my trip. Especially since I just spent $250 for a RAM mount set-up to hold it in my Jeep for the trip.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Look it up by model or serial number. Or look in Settings, if you have an option called Cellular or Cellular Data then the iPad has the cellular modem with the GPS chip. If you have a WiFi-only model it's not the end of the world, there's external GPS receivers you can use. More money, though it may be cheaper than buying a new iPad.

roving1

No WIFI only ipads receive any gps signals. You can pair it with a gps receiver over bluetooth to make it work but you will need to buy another device.

This lists the model numbers. If you don't have one of the WIFI + cellular models it won't receive gps singals without buying another piece of hardware.

rnArmy

Adventurer
You guys are great. I'm learning stuff.

Also looks like I'm learning my iPad doesn't have cellular. I'm not seeing it in settings. I'll pull the protective cover thing off it tomorrow to look on the back cover for the model number (thanks for the "Identify your iPad model" link).

Any links to these "GPS receiver over Bluetooth device thingies" that folks have had good results with? Something simple, &12 volt? Something that would work with my application? I've come this far....

Last edited:

BWickett

Observer
I pair my IPad Mini (non cellular) with the Garmin GLO portable GPS receiver. You can get them on Amazon for about 100 bucks. One tip: just keep it off the dash. The first time I used it on a trip from California to Arizona, it kept heating up and shutting down due to its placement on the dash (near the Ipad). I relocated to the back of the Jeep and it's been rock solid since. Connects via Bluetooth.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor

Also looks like I'm learning my iPad doesn't have cellular. I'm not seeing it in settings. I'll pull the protective cover thing off it tomorrow to look on the back cover for the model number (thanks for the "Identify your iPad model" link).

Any links to these "GPS receiver over Bluetooth device thingies" that folks have had good results with? Something simple, &12 volt? Something that would work with my application? I've come this far....
I personally do not have experience with what I am about to post, but I know a few people who have them and they really like the device. I have, however, ordered several GPS units from GPSCITY.com and they are a great business to purchase from:

Garmin GLO: https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-glo-2

Dual: https://www.gpscity.com/dual-xgps160-skypro-gps-receiver

And again, I do not have first hand experience with either unit, but I have used Garmin for more than two decades and have always been pleased with their devices.

Photobug

Just go into settings in your IOS and it will tell you which model # you have do a search for the model # and it will tell you what the capabilities are. Most people won't buy the Cellular Model Ipads unless they plan on paying for a cell phone service for their pad or know in advance they need the GPS for navigation.

There are a number of options for plug in and bluetooth GPS modules to GPS empower your Ipad.

Photobug

My iPad definitely isn't set-up for GPS (Wi-Fi only). I'm looking at this for pairing with my iPad:

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver (gpscity.com)

View attachment 641573

Anyone have any experience with this? It comes with an armband strap; I'm thinking I could strap it to the roll-bar in the back of the Jeep, and I've got a 12-volt outlet back there to plug it into.

I have the next model up from that and it worked great on a sailing trip with my wifes IPad for backup to my android pad which was kind enough to come with a GPS built in. Pretty sure these units also have a built in battery so you can charge it at night and not have to worry about a plug to keep in charged enroute. If I recall it uses the clunky older style mini USB plug which is also hopefully more robust than the smaller plugs.

drrobinson

I use a Duel GPS receiver with a non-WIFI) iPad mini and Gaia for primary navigation.

Works great. Acquires faster and holds signal better than my iPhone 11 in trees and canyons.

Also I believe you can connect two different devices via Bluetooth if that is useful in your cabin configuration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
So I received a Garmin GLO 2, and yesterday tested it out after putting in on a charger to make sure the battery was fully charged. The GLO 2 device was smaller than I expected - which is a good thing.

And then I paired it with my iPad:

Link: (239) Connecting a Garmin Glo Bluetooth GPS with a Apple iPad - YouTube

Bottom line... it works! Took the Jeep and iPad on a little test drive, and the iPad did what I wanted it to do - let me use GAIA. So I am ready to take my iPad on my next adventure.

Here's my upcoming trip this summer - running the TAT: US East - Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

I also received the Dual 150A GPS external GPS Bluetooth device. I'll check that one out too, but it is nice to know I'm good-to-go either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles