iPad for Nav

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The local cell company has an offer on a 32 GB iPad mini 2. Is that suitable as a Nav device? Is it too small to run mapping programs effectively?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It'll run maps no prob. I used my iPhone forever until I recently got my iPad Pro cellular. So much better. I like Galileo pro.

Just have to make sure it's the cellular model so it has the gps chip

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Double check it. I have an IPAD mini2 that I got from Costco and it has no GPS !

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Was your iPad mini2 the Cellular version or the Wifi version Fireman78?

Thanks for the replies all. Just was wondering about having enough space for maps. I have read use the cell connection for on road and once you get remote swap to cached maps as a way to manage map caching.

PDragon

I been using a 16GB Ipad Mini with a cellular/GPS for almost two years, running a few map apps (mostly Avenza PDF maps). No problem at all.

1Louder

Explorer
It really depends on your expectations on how many maps you want to store. If you want to download entire states 32GB won't be enough.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
iPad is fine for nav.
You will want/need the version with cell service as it has the GPS chip.
There is a way, according to posts on this forum, you can save files on another device and retrieve them.
There are plenty of posts about using tablets and which software.
This place has numerous experts including a guy whose name is, I think, RobRed. Seek him out.

mikekey

Deplorable
I just spent 15 days in Moab using Gaia GPS with a 3rd generation iPad Mini with Wifi+LTE and 128gb on a ram mount. I use Gaia GPS and I love this app now. Zero problems with the GPS creating accurate tracks. This has been a fanastic setup. We also use it as our primary media device and just leave it tethered to the truck the whole time. We have a Verizon Jetpack with unlimited data, so we use that as wifi and can use Google Maps & Waze when on service. For when offroad, I just download the tiles for my area.

Here is an example of a track recorded when I drove out Gold Bar rim to the Golden Crack on Golden Spike:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/wndP4SaNOUSsDgkH43jZwvw1

The tiles do take awhile to download, especially when you are dealing with a couple of gigs. But otherwise, it was a sold performer.

And here is a shot of the mount when we were out on the trails. No complaints with this setup. Absoluetely loving it.

FOV7ahqdHSb6Xkwk0U8UT9R3xigUguSQHsCD1zPuJHNqrgLslEq3aoO2udEA8VgpMrn6roMj10eUgZxBOuuuRw2zeYOMBbH_wC-J7_0bcKqaGsy51RjO3ZaaPnsGoxq3CBJ7j-ZIdGz7ctdi0hbPsHdXFwIXtNY0f3ZiS2-XB9u_2MPen2dh_4SN6MyoZOeZZEARbH4ucGiwmXa7u9Ex_LvNQaoS_bzt_O9KfutMDJsH1b9IevfA6iOCFBcalt3CHDiET-eI5BDKnqno0Qw6OId95z3MOYY9gECoVTN4hHhsI6T_J-g4X8KQ5N8jjY_UDyyv6v8cT-uzGV1vJuNBJ_m6AZmZawTaaTyQ6NYqimkNXWGHbeNJogGAuiRG0Mx--hqiFMiSlD87XrNtV_qwPcEjDBBcNySNgTTIfF1xK1lnlCmR4wH2H4YHcmrx_UsgwG2rukJACD0NA_97fM2A2c5Mvgt3siv5x-I-a7ywYBty57HxJpzexSihGY9_8UaNOiXINDTaHwVtTsYA-MGT65s__g3RNNFdK9Th0N7gtSvwGncKgEPtiVOZWiH7SetVARK5MCyv_fva_oqvCGit9uydAlbM6vWE6QHj0RJ0pFU8Sl96wsBs=w650-h866-no

USA4X4

If the price of the gps version is steep compared to the non gps version, you can buy a BT GPS unit. I use the garmin glo which works great.

mikekey

Deplorable
If the price of the gps version is steep compared to the non gps version, you can buy a BT GPS unit. I use the garmin glo which works great.

I found it to be comparable. A good GPS unit is about $150+ which if you cac what you pay between wifi/gps version, you might as well just get the GPS version. Price difference is about what you'd pay buying an external unit. And the internal GPS is really damn spot on.

AssBurns

For those that had any experience with LeadNav and/or Gaia gps apps on iPhone or iPad. These seem to be the top choices for many folks and since they both cost some money to get started, I'd like to pick one or the other. I use MotionX currently but I'd like to get a little more out of my mapping app.
What are your thoughts and why did you pick one over the other?

Pro's and Con's to either?

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
For those that had any experience with LeadNav and/or Gaia gps apps on iPhone or iPad. These seem to be the top choices for many folks and since they both cost some money to get started, I'd like to pick one or the other. I use MotionX currently but I'd like to get a little more out of my mapping app.
What are your thoughts and why did you pick one over the other?

Pro's and Con's to either?

Not sure if you're aware that Gaia now requires a subscription to use their new app. Plenty of features but it's not a one-time purchase. I've downloaded LeadNav but haven't used it much since I'm not a Baja racer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles