Iowa to Death Valley, and back.

Renrag

Observer
Warning: There are no photographs in this thread. There are only snapshots taken by a complete amateur, or his 8yo daughter. All pics taken with a Cannon S95 on Auto. I only wish I had the photo talent of many who usually post here.

I have spent many an hour reading reports on this site. Thought I'd try contributing.

Searching for a title, I settled on the simple. Other options included: Loaded for Bear, hunting Squirrel, Making Lemonade, or Plan B,C, and D.

Katie, my 8yo daughter, and I left for Death Valley on Feb 15th. Pulled her out of school at noon, and we hit the road. First destination was Cabella's in Kansas City, KS for a good tent. The weather was forecast to be cold and wet, and we needed to be warm and dry. We then drove through light fog to Emporia, KS before quitting for the night. Next morning was thick fog until west of Witchita. A call came in to inform me that the route, and meeting location had been changed. We were seeking lower elevations, and warmer weather. Once out of the fog and in the sun, the strong headwinds started. As many know, the JK is neither aerodynamic, nor powerful. Made a long day getting to Albuquerque to meet up with my cousin Paul who would be joining us on the trip. A nice meal, a great conversation, and a soft, warm bed. The next morning was spent on logistics of getting Paul's stuff crammed in with our stuff. We each had two sleeping bags(one good, and one for a blanket), sleeping pads, and all the other stuff that goes into a plan for three nights in the remote parts of the park. I had left the trailer at home, so creative packing was the rule.

Followed RR tracks most of the way.
IMG_0773.jpg

Big Well in Greensburg, KS
IMG_0783.jpg

One of my drafting partners as I dealt with the headwinds.
IMG_0801.jpg

New Mexico sunset.
IMG_0812.jpg

Thursday night found us in Kingman, AZ with Katie not feeling well at all. The stomach flu had been marching around and around our house, and we were hoping she and I would escape the last round. She didn't. Most of Friday was spend in a hotel room in Kingman. We notified our group we might be late, or not at all. Found out that many were bailing because of the weather, mechanical problems, or other issues. By late afternoon, she was feeling well enough to make it to Pharump, NV. Lots more sleep, and on Saturday morning, things were looking up. As we had already missed our meet up with the group on Friday night, we decided to spend the next night in a hotel as well. Camping with Katie not 100% seemed like a bad idea. Turns out Furnace Creek requires a two night minimum on the holiday weekend. That would be our camping spot and we were going to make the most lemonade out of this trip that we could. Paul wasn't disappointed as the cold can be hard to manage for him.

Made it!
IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Saturday at 11am we were looking into the Valley from Dante's view. Cold, windy, and beautiful. I had been here two years ago and thought it a great place to introduce Katie to the Valley. I had prepped her by having her read "Julia, Death Valley's Youngest Victim", so she had an idea in her mind. Turns out she wasn't far off. The salt surprised her though.

Dante's View
IMG_0825.jpg

Stopped off at FC for a map and pay the dues, then headed off to Titus Canyon. I surprised Katie with a trip to Rhyolite. Something about ghost towns and kids. Stirs the imagination in ways that is hard to do elsewhere. I'm a kid too, I guess. Titus Canyon was beautiful. We tried to give Katie a geology lesson(blind leading the blind in a lot of ways though), and looked at the polished walls. A quick stop at the Devil's Cornfield just to see what it was finished the travels for day. What Iowa farmer could resist a place called the Devil's Cornfield? Steaks over the grill on the room's patio was dinner.

Bottle house
IMG_0829.jpg

Red Pass on Titus
IMG_0845.jpg

Sunday we planned a big ambitious loop. Furnace Creek, to Saline Valley South pass, to Lippencotts, to the Racetrack, and then to Scotty's Castle. The Saline valley road was covered in 1" of snow at the turnoff. Hmmmm... Wonder what this means to our plans. Oh well, I'm very experienced with the Jeep, I sure as heck know snow, and we decided to push on and turn around if conditions started to look sketchy. Then the magic happened. We were the first tracks past Lee Flat. The snow was 3"-4" deep, and the Joshua trees were all around us. The Jeep rode quiet, the sun shone bright, and the moment enveloped us. We passed the summit without any drama, and started down. Finally ran out of snow at 2500', and had pretty much decided that the Racetrack was going to be too wet to visit. As the Racetrack is the 'Best place on earth' in my opinion, I was sad at the prospect of not sharing it with my companions. At the turnoff to Lippencotts, I looked down valley, and wondered what the place I've read so much about, and was so tantalizingly close to, was like. A reason to return someday. Shortly after turning onto Lippencotts trail, we met traffic, and were informed that the playa was dry. Happy Day!!!!! We made short work of the climb, and were on the playa at noon. Paul was able to move across the playa easily without leaving a track, so we were over the last hurdle of the day. Spent a good hour there, wandering and wondering. Just like one should. Time for a quick run out to the Crator to look over the edge. Katie *really* wanted to hike to the bottom, but we convinced her to tour the Castle first, then if there was time, we'd be back. What eight year old girl could resist a castle? Ubebhebe was added to Saline Valley as a reason to return. Katie loved the Castle tour, and absorbed much of the story. Afterwords we wondered up to the 'stables'(she is horse crazy even though we own 5 plus a pony) and found Scotty's car. He sure was hard on that thing. Supper(farmers have dinner at noon) at the Furnace Creek Ranch, and the day was over.

First Tracks
IMG_0870.jpg

Magical
IMG_0872.jpg

Rare Death Valley Burro.
IMG_0876.jpg

Exploring as one should. Each alone with their thoughts.
IMG_0886.jpg

Best Place on Earth
IMG_0892.jpg

Our merry band of travelers
IMG_0897.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
Nice pics! looking forward to more... I recently also took a similarly long trip.. from Chicago to Moab. DV is one of my favorite places and your pics takes me back...

Renrag

Observer
Monday found us packing all our camping gear back up unused. Loaded for bear, hunting squirrels. We had that poor Jeep packed to the gills. A quick trip to the Mesquite Sand Dunes, then up Echo Canyon to the petroglyphs. Paul decided to drive Echo, and his grin was not looking for another place to go. Katie and I walked up to the rock art, and were left with just as much wonderment as we had the previous day at the Racetrack. Both experiences gave her much to contemplate. The trip down failed to reveal the 'echo spot' in echo canyon. I apologize to anyone seeking solitude and silence right after lunch.

Sand, Play, Contemplate.
IMG_0902.jpg

Funny tracks
IMG_0905.jpg

Paul takes the wheel.:smiley_drive:
IMG_0913.jpg

Katie's Cornfield. Guess you can take the girl out of Iowa, but .....
IMG_0931.jpg

Aliens! :sombrero:
IMG_0932.jpg

No end to the wonders.
IMG_0941.jpg

Having a blast!
IMG_0949.jpg

Good bye Death Valley.
IMG_0951.jpg

A left at the paving, and we were already wishing to return. Adventures over, we headed back home. Or so, we thought. We were on our way home, but adventure still lurked. I had visited Vegas with my wife a month ago for the first time. Katie always wants to see new places, but more importantly, was fascinated by the Frozen Hot Chocolate we had found at Cesar's Palace. Paul was still driving and as Katie watch movies in the back, we sneaked to the north end of the strip. I pulled the plug on the movie player, and she was amazed. We bailed out at Cesar's, and grabbed our treat while Paul 'parked' in the loop and waited. We were soon headed south again, and Paul says, "I've heard great things about the restaurants in New York, New York. Do you want to eat supper there?" Spur of the moment, and we were there. All decided in less than one block. Supper was good, Katie was giddy, and we left full and happy. Drove to Flagstaff, then crashed for the night.

Tuesday brought us to Paul's house by 2pm, on the road again, by 4pm, and Katie an I made it to Liberal, KS for the night. Katie wanted home in time to see her sisters and Mom, so we left at 5:30am, and drove home. A quick stop at Cabella's to return what I presume to be a very nice tent, then we bolted for the barn like any horse would. Home ten minutes before the rest and jumped up and said, "Surprise!".

Kansas sunrise
IMG_0960.jpg

Well, I saw the sunrise anyway.
IMG_0964.jpg

Driving time and miles
IMG_0966.jpg

Great trip! Great travel companions! Not at all according to plan.

mikE(with my travel buddy :rally_guys:)

xpdishn

Adventurer
That was great, thanks. Seeing Lee's Flat road in the snow was beautiful. No matter what type of camera, the pics were great. Thanks for posting.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Great trip report, and I learned a bit more about Death Valley.

Your pictures were great!

I really must see the Race Track some day.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Sounds like fun, looks like your daughter had fun even with the stomach flu. Improvise, adapt and overcome. No sense in letting a little flu ruin a vacation.

kjp1969

Explorer
That's a good trip- I've driven from California to see relatives in Cedar Falls several times, so I know that you were committed!

Renrag

Observer
That's the money shot right there. Fantastic.

I enjoyed all the photographs.

I would love to visit Death Valley!

John

Thank you. I actually really enjoy your reports. Knowing your skills with a camera, I'll take that as a big compliment.

Death Valley is just like going to Big Bend. Only West. Just takes the decision to go,the realization you do not have time to see it all, and the enjoyment of what you can see.

mikE(Thanks to all)

Renrag

Observer
Sounds like fun, looks like your daughter had fun even with the stomach flu. Improvise, adapt and overcome. No sense in letting a little flu ruin a vacation.

Pretty much. Being a farmer, weather pretty much teaches one to constantly adapt to the changing face of things. Hopefully, that is a lesson I can pass down to my girls. No sense in getting all bent up when plans go awry.

mikE(cuz they always do)

expeditionerd

Observer
What a great read! I've been to Death Valley a few times and it's very cool t be able to recognize each spot from your photos - which by the way, they are awesome.
All those Joshua trees covered in snow must have been quite incredible.

A few places I still want to visit again and spend more time at, especially the Racetrack. Next trip there I will definitively be revisiting this thread for more planning.
Thanks a lot for such a good write up. Very inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online