iOverlander

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like a resource for Central and South America as well as North America. iOverlander works with iPhone and iPad. Initial cost is free; there may be in-app purchase "opportunities."

LifeRemotely

Observer
It really is free!

Just wanted to clarify, the app and the website are completely free. No advertising, no "in app purchase opportunities". We built this for Overlanders. Not to make money. But let me be honest, we will eventually run a Kickstarter or ask for donations to help pay for the cost of hosting the site, not to make a profit, just to cover our expenses.

Here is the direct link to download the iPhone app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ioverlander/id894352689?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

And yes, all of our 1,900 places are currently in the Americas, but the app does work worldwide. As soon as we get some good data (or get over there ourselves) we will expand and continue to add places around the rest of the world.

We'd love any feedback or suggestions you have to improve both the website or the app. And before you say it, yes we know you want an Android version, it's coming, I promise!

Does it allow for community input? Meaning if someone does a nice trek from Denver to Newfoundland and saves cool spots between here and there can I see those new input spots?

LifeRemotely

Observer
Yes, anyone can add new places or update existing places. You have to register (it's simple and instant, we require it so users can get credit for what they add and so we can deal with any malicious or spam activity quickly). You can add a single places through the website here: http://blog.ioverlander.com/add-places/add-a-single-place/ Or, you can add via the iPhone app. It's a bit better easier to use the iPhone app because you can do all of the adding while offline, then when you have internet again the phone will synchronize with our database, post your new places and flag for a moderator any potential duplicates. We also have a way to bulk upload places. So if someone has a few hundred points in a spreadsheet format (or GPX or GoogleMaps) we can import them all at one time. That's where the initial 1,900 places came from. If you know anyone with a big list of places to bulk upload that is willing to share, please send them our way!

Hope I answered your question!

LifeRemotely

Observer
Looks like there's one coming. I just wonder when.

The short and very non-committal answer is 3-6 months-ish.

The long answer is, we need to raise some cash. Our main developer (Sam) doesn't have an Android phone, and obviously needs one to be able to effectively test the app. We have an Android developer who is also willing to volunteer, which would really speed things up, but he'll need the app software in order to help. So we need about $600 (best guess), unless someone has an old Android phone laying around they'd like to ship to Peru :) We're working on setting up some ways on the site to raise cash, via donations, selling branded stuff, and potentially ad space. And we're hoping that we can do some type of unofficial kickstarter to raise the money for the Android app quickly. We're pretty hell bent on keeping this site free, and that means that finding the cash to pay expenses takes a bit more ingenuity. All that said, if any of you Android fans out there know a thing or two about fundraising, then I could really use some help. :)

Jessica

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
:cool:

Thanks for such a great app, really found some great intel on our Central America trip. Looking forward to using it in South America too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles