Inyo Mountains, April 18-19, 2009

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We've been wanting to visit the old salt tram remains in the Inyo mountains east of Lone Pine, CA ever since I first read a trip report put up by Teotwaki over a year ago. We made plans to join a couple other trips to the area, but schedule conflicts always got in the way. We finally made it a couple weekends ago, and it was definitely worth the wait.

A week or so before our planned departure Teotwaki posted a trip report in which he recounted that waning daylight and deep snow at 9200' had prevented him from reaching the tram keeper's cabin. A call to the BLM ranger a few days before we left did nothing to provide any optimism - she thought we were still a few weeks too early for the route to open up.

Determined to make something of our weekend one way or the other, we left for Lone Pine Friday AM with an alternate plan of traversing Saline Valley firmly in mind. After hooking up with our friends Mike & Denny in Lone Pine, we walked down to The Seasons for dinner. Over dinner we discussed our options. The weather had been unseasonably warm for most of the week. Temps in Lone Pine on Friday were nearly 80*, and a few valleys to the east Death Valley was forecast to hit 108*. We decided to give it a go, figuring that if we ran into too much snow we could always come down off the mountain and head over to Saline Valley.

As we headed up into the Inyo mountains it wasn't long before we could see signs of the old salt tram towers. We stopped to walk up a short, steep hill overlooking the Owens (Dry) Lake and take a look at the remains of a collapsed tower. Already the view of the Sierras was pretty spectacular.

Owens Lake Viewpoint
520947210_nnQgz-XL.jpg

Our Rigs Below
520948238_NqayB-XL.jpg

Sierra Vista
520948401_W6rSL-XL.jpg

Shattered Timbers
520948108_3pndJ-L.jpg

We continued up the hill looking for signs of the old tram, but also keeping one eye peeled for any signs of snow at higher elevations. Passing by a couple nice campsites with great views of the Sierras, we eventually reached the short spur to the Burgess Mine. We explored around the old mine shack and ate lunch here with an imposing view of the snow capped Sierras across the Owens Valley.

Burgess Mine
520948543_JZRUQ-XL.jpg

520949041_6YUCX-XL.jpg

At the Burgess Mine we got our first view of the Saline Valley to the east of the Inyo mountains, and also began to see a fair amount of snow on the north facing slopes.

Saline Valley View
520948638_mZAu5-XL.jpg

520948768_2GLvg-XL.jpg

Back on the main trail we continued up towards the tram keeper's cabin. Exactly as Teotwaki indicated we shortly reached a deep snow bank sitting astride the road. It appeared to be the remains of a cornice formed over the winter (there is a steep bowl off to the left of the road), and the road disappeared under the snow only to reappear a couple hundred feet further up the hill. The leading edge of the snow was quite vertical, and about 2-3 feet high. (Sorry about the pic quality - these were snapped with my wife's Blackberry). We took some time to recon, and walked up the road a ways to see what else was in store for us. It looked like if we could get past this snowfield the way was clear all the way to the top tram tower.

520964682_NGFyn-M.jpg

We returned to the rigs and broke out the shovels. We shoveled snow to make a ramp so we could drive up on top of the snow. We were pretty lucky with the snow conditions. The top 6" were soft, so the tires got good traction, but underneath it was very firm, almost ice, so you didn't sink in very far. Once we were on top of the snow we were able to drive right up the snow field to where the road reappeared at the top. You can just see the road reappear at the top right corner of the picture.

520964776_BgzKh-M.jpg

Here's a link to a short video of Mike taking his jeep over the first part of the snow obstacle: Mike Up and Over

(cont. below)

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Continuing up the road we ran into a couple small areas where snow covered the road, but only for short distances and we were able to drive through them easily. We shortly came in view of the top tram tower.

Top Tram Tower
520947337_A8yjR-XL.jpg

We soon reached the highest point of the old tram and the tram keeper's cabin. We explored the top tower and the old tram keeper's cabin a bit. Someone had left a door open to the cabin, I imagine it may have been like that all winter. Other than that the cabin appeared to be in good condition. Rather than staying in the cabin, we decided to camp at a very nice site a couple hundred yards north of the cabin with great views of the Owens Valley and the Sierras beyond. Looks like the BLM is encouraging people to do that rather then sleeping in the cabin.

Highest Tram Tower
520947840_uQXbX-XL.jpg

Tower Structure (My wife says I like this because of it's "Asian/Craftsman Influence")
520947702_KaCGb-XL.jpg

I'm thinking this could be the future site of the world's coolest zip line ride!
520947492_raZJi-XL.jpg

As the sun set we got one last view of a lower tram tower -
520947957_WjyRs-XL.jpg

Sunday we continued south to Cerro Gordo. Turned out the Cerro Gordo side of the loop had a lot less snow than the Swansea side. There were a few short sections of snow, but not deep, very soft, and easily passable. At Cerro Gordo we turned east and headed down towards Saline Valley. From there we headed south to Paniment Springs, and out the south end of the Paniment Valley on our way back to civilization.

Last edited:

dustboy

Explorer
Nice report, we were on the Saline Valley side the previous week. I had hoped to see the tram, but from where we were it was a long ways off and we had other destinations. Next I get out that way I'll definitely take that route.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Excellent news! I was stopped by the snow before getting to the junction of the road spur to the Burgess Mine. Glad that you got all the way across to Cerro Gordo.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
sunman said:
Nice pics. I like the ones looking down into SV.

Thanks. Once you are on top of the ridge the views to both sides are pretty amazing.

Nice report, we were on the Saline Valley side the previous week. I had hoped to see the tram, but from where we were it was a long ways off and we had other destinations. Next I get out that way I'll definitely take that route.

So, we'll have to trade places. Saline Valley is still on our list.

suntinez said:
Zipline yeah! Nice report Dave, great photos from "above".

Amazing what folks will do for salt, eh?

Thanks Linda. It is interesting to contemplate the energy, human and otherwise, that they put into getting salt down to LA. Hard to imagine that it was even worth the energy cost of running the tram. Didn't they know you can get salt in those little round cardboard containers? ;-)

teotwaki said:
Excellent news! I was stopped by the snow before getting to the junction of the road spur to the Burgess Mine. Glad that you got all the way across to Cerro Gordo.

That's interesting - there was definitely a lot of melting going on in the meantime then. The first place we saw any snow on the road was at the junction of the spur to Burgess, and that was still minimal and easily passable. That Santa Ana weather pattern early in the week surely worked to our advantage!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Thats great!!! I'm heading to the Inyo and the Saline May 29- June 1st. Your TR makes me want it even more. It will be my my 35th trip to the Saline in 20 years and I look forward to it more and more each year.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
----SNIP----It is interesting to contemplate the energy, human and otherwise, that they put into getting salt down to LA. Hard to imagine that it was even worth the energy cost of running the tram. ----SNIP----

Electricity was provided by the Cottonwood Hydroelectric Power Station, the oldest DWP power station in service today. The first of two turbine generators there went “on line” November 13, 1908.

Because they did not have to dig/mine and heavily refine the already high grade salt...
img0083_t.jpg

...they thought that putting the money into the tramway made sense because of the speed at which it could be tranported to the terminus for railroad transportation to Los Angeles

Image from Colorado School Of Mines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94