inverter use with a kettle

dependencies

Observer
Is it possible (or even desirable) to use a kettle long-term with a small solar panel/battery set up

and also, what are typically the larger drain devices people leave plugged into an inverter.

cheers guys

alosix

Expedition Leader
I don't see why not.. and I'm planning on having that setup in my M725.

My normal kettle is about 1000watts. I'm planning on using a 3-4kwatt inverter to be able to power the toaster oven and coffee setup. Won't be able to use them all at the same time though.

Jason

762X39

Explorer
It is possible to use a Kettle with a large battery, solar panel and 1kw or possibly larger inverter but the battery will be fully drained. Heating element type appliances and most microwaves require a ton of electricity to work.It is better to run these kinds of appliances off a generator, shore power or try to use propane (yeah I haven't found a propane microwave yet either).

alosix

Expedition Leader
FWIW.. I'm trying to make 2 4Ds fit in mine... so that's going into the usage calcs.

would have to run the numbers again, but I doubt a kettle would kill a battery all that bad. They aren't run all that often and mine will get a cup or 2 of boiling water ready in under a minute.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I actually have a 2k inverter in mine, deliberately purchased to be able to handle a water kettle (since we are big french press and tea folk). I have yet to try it, and need to. maybe this weekend. Even at 1500 watts, running for only 2-3 minute couldn't do much on the battery.

Check my math. 1500 watts / 12V = 125 amp (hours). divide 125 amp/60 = approx 2 amp/min. for 3 minute = approx 7 amps used

Last edited:

orangeTJ

Explorer
Back when I worked for what used to be a major supplier of inverters to the RV industry, our "easy to remember" rule of thumb:

For every amp of AC your appliances use from the inverter, the inverter is using 11 amps DC from the battery.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I actually have a 2k inverter in mine, deliberately purchased to be able to handle a water kettle (since we are big french press and tea folk). I have yet to try it, and need to. maybe this weekend. Even at 1500 watts, running for only 2-3 minute couldn't do much on the battery.

Check my math. 1500 watts / 12V = 125 amp (hours). divide 125 amp/60 = approx 2 amp/min. for 3 minute = approx 7 amps used

I'l try it this weekend and report back on what the before and after voltage is (and if it even works at all).:ylsmoke:

dependencies

Observer
I bought a small inv' last year, mostly to power Laptop as much as anything else, I'd not even thought to try something as greedy as a kettle now I shall have to try it I suppose

just park on a hill before hand as I'm less than convinced
( naturally pessimistic):wings:

overlander

Expedition Leader
after a bit of a delay in this test due to a blown headgasket needing replacement, I finally conducted this test. I had to order a 1000 watt Presto kettle ($16 from walmart) to match my 1000 watt (continuous) inverter. tested it tonight. boiled water in 12 minutes with no adverse effect on voltage.

I have my tea and coffee solution resolved!

overlander

Expedition Leader
Presto kettle is 1 quart. I have had micro stoves but I really don't like keep any pressurized flammable gas in my cabin year round. Electric is my preferred solution personally for this, and requires no replacements cartridges, cool down and keeps my lighter topped off for cigars! Everyone will have their own personal preferences and requirements. This is just another tool in the tool box.

It can also boil water in the back by a passenger traveling on the highway, which is nice. Once the kettle whistle starts to blow, pull over and have coffee/tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online