Inverter install in a JK Unilimted.

emt.micah

Observer
So I wanted to install one of these inverters in my JK.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...ssional-installation-kit/p-1962853-c-9100.htm

It's an 800W inverter with a really sweet remote panel with USB, 2x 110 outlets and an on/off switch for the whole thing.

Plan was to mount this under the passenger seat, and put the remote panel on the front tide of the center arm rest, up above the parking break.

The problem is that for a 6' cable run, it says I need to use 2ga wire. Now just how the hell am I going to run 2x 2ga wires from under the passenger seat to the battery. No frackin way they'll run through the pass thru that everyone uses at the base of the A pillar.

Suggestions?

Micah

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: That 1" hole in the rt/lft side of the firewall will accomadate up to a 7-cond shielded cable, so even 00 cables would go thru there, however-

Putting an 800w inverter under a seat is notta good idea, as soon as you turnem on they have an internal fan that helps coolem, when they have air flow AND THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN UNDER A SEAT !

If you're thinking about camping, you should just get 12VDC stuff, or mount the inverter behind the grill, if you don't have a trailer-

My 300w inverter is mounted on the back of the hardtop and my 700watter is on my trailer-

emt.micah

Observer
Don't have a trailer, yet. I could put it on lip of the tub in the rear. It's an Unlimited, so there is room. Just worried about it getting full of dog hair. May look at up in the footwell on passenger side. Would make the cable run shorter too.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Why do you wantit in the front passenger area ??

Behind the grill would get plenty of air and be easy run to batt., less than 6' !

I have my 300w/12vdc pwr plug at the back of the hardtop-and the 700w invert, outside on the trailer

IMGP0644a-1.jpg

SUNP0071.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, isn't a picture worth a thousand words ?

Jimbo, how are you securing the inverter on the HT?

4ea 12x3/4" MS sheetmetal screws and 1" mild steel strapping-

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well mine is, but it's light duty--300w, but it's mounted high where free airflow is present

Is it advisable to mount an inverter anywhere inside a jku?

I can't see any reason to mount any larger inverters (400/1000watt) anywhere in the passenger compartment-

Too many areas in the front engine compt/forward radiator and these spots will all have free airflow, during invert. use-

I wouldn't advise any invert mounts at frame level--

emt.micah

Observer
I'm not real big on the idea of sticking this thing in the engine compartment. Too much dust. I think I'll go with a spot up in the passenger footwell. That will allow it to get air from the AC/vent. That should also greatly shorten my cable run, possibly allowing me to go to a smaller guage.

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys.

Micah

Idahoan

Adventurer
Not a chance you need 2g wire. Something that size will only draw 6-7 amps at 12vdc. 10 would be overkill. I bet if you look closer, the distance guide is in meters not feet.

DueNrth

You can use welding cable, it's more flexible, higher quality, and can handle more amps compared to the same size battery cable. Should let you actually go down one size and easily handle the required amps. Check McMaster.com

Walt

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Throw in voltage drop and 15ft of #2 is spot on. You'll be under 3%.

I have a 700W inverter in the tailgate. But it connects to a load center in the back to keep the feeder size to the inverter minimal. I've got #2/0 going from the disconnect switch under the hood back to the rear winch and load center.

I would try and mount the inverter up as high as possible. Never know when you might forget to put a drain plug back in
DSC_6390.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94