Introduction and My Ford Fiberine Super Camper build

Photog

Explorer
Some ideas to consider: When you travel for a week or two, many other issues show up, that you don't notice when using only on weekends.

With a bed in the middle, the bed will have to be taken apart and put away, every morning, just so you can access the galley. With the galley in the middle, the bed can stay a bed (in the back), unless it becomes absolutely necessary to convert it back to seating.

Add a table mount up front, and eat while sitting in the comfortable chairs (or outside).

It is possible you have a valid, functional, reason for having the bedroom in the middle of your house. If so, I am interested to hear the reasoning.

There are Pros & Cons for each configuration; just trying to reduce the Cons. I'm sure you will enjoy your rig, either way. :)

smugdoug

Picked up the Top

I was able to pick up the top yesterday. Wow, a day early!

Annabel at Fiberine was extremely helpful, answering my emails and willing to work with me over the phone.

Thought I share a picture picking up the top and one from the inside of the van heading south bound on the 405! Now the fun begins!

Attachments

• Picking up Top1.JPG
    Picking up Top1.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 273
  • On the Road1.JPG
    On the Road1.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 211

smugdoug

Recessed Area in Back for A/C unit

I'll do my best with pictures. Here is a shot of that area in back for the A/C

Attachments

• Recessed area for AC.JPG
    Recessed area for AC.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 163

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I'll do my best with pictures. Here is a shot of that area in back for the A/C

Are there options for that area or is that the only way that size comes? (curious in case I didnt want to run a rooftop AC unit to save weight up top)

smugdoug

No options as far as I know, I think you could customize something for a little more money. I think it would have to come out of the mold/cast like mine and then they would have to cut that portion out and build something by hand for you. Just depends on what you want to spend. I don't know if I'm going to run A/C either, we tend to stay away from hook ups and don't spend a lot of time in extreme heat.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I don't know if I'm going to run A/C either, we tend to stay away from hook ups and don't spend a lot of time in extreme heat.
Same here, maybe a spot for a small basket rack for firewood or stuff not wanted inside (moist or stinky items). I'm looking forward to checking out the before & after pics, and a report on install difficulty!

smugdoug

Top Resting on the Van now

Here are some shots getting the top off the Trailer. I'm sure I'll get some comments about how I supported the top, but hey it worked. A little later I'll get some pictures uploaded that Bill Wilson took. Thanks for coming and helping out BW!!

Attachments

• IMG_4628rev.JPG
    IMG_4628rev.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4631rev.JPG
    IMG_4631rev.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4632rev.JPG
    IMG_4632rev.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4633rev.JPG
    IMG_4633rev.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 245

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
As long as it worked, was safe and nobody got hurt all is well - cant wait to see the next set of pics. Had you already cut the hole in the roof when the top went on or did you do that after?

smugdoug

I'll have some more pics that explain what we did. We elevated the top I drove under, then cut a hole in the roof to get to the top and those 4x4's from inside the van. So just as we started cutting the hole in the van we started getting another wave of rain, so that made a little more interesting! If it wasn't storming I may have just waited until today to lower it onto the van, the wind kinda made it necessary to drop the top on the van.

I will have a lot more cutting to do today and a little bit of grinding on the top in just few places. The top doesn't fit perfect, but once I cut the hole out to the finished size the metal should become a little more forgiving and fit really well once I put the screws through. I'll take more pics that explain the fit of the top.

nely

Adventurer
Once you have the top on, Could you get a measurment of the inside height? Id be interested to see what the height is and if id be able to stand up inside a van with a top like that.

It would be much appreciated.
Nely

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

brettf

Adventurer
Thanks for taking these photos. Anything you post about the fitment, installation, trimming, anything really.... it will really help me when my time comes (hopefully in the next 6 months)...

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
once you have the top on, could you get a measurment of the inside height? Id be interested to see what the height is and if id be able to stand up inside a van with a top like that.

It would be much appreciated.
Nely

x2

smugdoug

Just took the van out for a spin and everything looks good, feels good, and it doesn't drive much different.

Inside measurement in the center is 79" but I still need to insulate, so you can subtract about an inch. It does taper off towards the edges a little, maybe two inches. Also in the back I didn't get a measurement but it drops down to just over 6'.

There is some fitting to this top, nothing much. I will post something in the next day on how everything went. I would use a different procedure to get the top on there if I were to do it again, and I will explain in detail what I did.

Later!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles