Introduction and My Ford Fiberine Super Camper build

VanWilder

Any chance you can provide another photo of that piece?

That certainly isnt plywood. It is some sort of OSB panel, but hard to tell for sure from the one photo.

Here are two other photos. My guess is that it is some kind of OSB, but I'm sure you could email fiberine and they would tell you. Whatever it is, the roof rock solid, and I would have no concerns about putting a cargo rack and a few hundred pounds of stuff up on top of my van.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Are there no ribs to deal with like a regular roof when cutting the hole?
I got the impression that some of them had ribs or ridges in the top exterior and wasn't completely smooth. (I would prefer smooth but ribs would be stronger in theory).
I have seen the pics of the added interior strips or ribs but I don't think that shows on the exterior like the OEM van roof.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I think that the sheathing in the picture is made from a type of OSB that shreds the wood into strings rather than flakes. My guess is that it's stronger and more uniform than flaked OSB

I totally agree.

It is an OSB product, but certainly not something that you find at the local building supply.

Lots of MFGs use it, because when compared to plywood it is cheaper and more dimensionally stable.

It isnt quite as strong as plywood, and the only real trade-off is weight. It will be heavier than plywood.

chillonthehill

Fiberine Install

I've found out that the install that Fiberine does may not be what I want, so I'm looking for pointers on hardware, sealants, and any secrets that may exist.

Hey Smugdoug,

What is it about the Fiberine install was it that you didn't like? Not bolted down secure enough? Potential for Leaks? I'm looking at getting one myself but looking at having them install it as I live in Oregon and it would be a real pain to tow it up and install at home.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I've always been curious how cutting the roof ribs out of the van affects its ability to resist racking - maybe even doors not closing over time.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I've always been curious how cutting the roof ribs out of the van affects its ability to resist racking - maybe even doors not closing over time.
A friend of mine just purchased a 92 dodge conversion van which has a short fiberglass top on it. 25 years old and no issues with doors opening or closing. No obvious body twist. I believe it to be a non issue.

I did install a fiberine top on my van myself and feel like the top is of high enough quality and Stout enough to compensate for any structure which is removed.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

I've got a '76 Ford van with a Fiberine top. Regular body, not extended. The top has the optional wooden strigers and the optional inner tub.

Very solid, no noticable twisting of the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles