Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Aleja_333

Has anyone experienced issues with the Dickinson heater at altitude? I was reading their specs and it’s recommended for no more than 2000ft above sea level. Otherwise, you required special modification to the orifice. That would be a bummer bc we’re moving to Colorado this fall and typical elevation is 6000ft. That’s not even getting on the trails.

Has anyone experienced issues with the Dickinson heater at altitude? I was reading their specs and it’s recommended for no more than 2000ft above sea level. Otherwise, you required special modification to the orifice. That would be a bummer bc we’re moving to Colorado this fall and typical elevation is 6000ft. That’s not even getting on the trails.

I have wondered this as well. That being said, I am sure you can find some real world feedback when asking around as there are many folks here in CO having them installed by the local AC dealer. It always made me hesitant as well but people have them, just not sure as to how performance really affected by the altitude.

I had to find a quality step system to get into the ACCC after ACL surgery. I tried three different setups and finally settled on the Little Giant ladder, Jumbo Step. It was the most expensive one but the quality is unmatched based on the other two I tried out. I don't plan on using these steps forever but for the next six months they sure will come in handy. The ladder is pretty light and folds up nice and compact.View attachment 720931

Thanks for posting this. I am in the mkt for something as well, so I will check this out. Have you used it much on uneven ground yet? I had a platform style step I had been using (cheapo Harbor Freight) and it was solid for awhile, but it creaks like hell & it flipped out from under me bad on my last trip. Luckily I didn't ********** my head or anything, but the wife says it has to go. My bruises agree. ha ha.

Thanks for posting this. I am in the mkt for something as well, so I will check this out. Have you used it much on uneven ground yet? I had a platform style step I had been using (cheapo Harbor Freight) and it was solid for awhile, but it creaks like hell & it flipped out from under me bad on my last trip. Luckily I didn't ********** my head or anything, but the wife says it has to go. My bruises agree. ha ha.
I have not used on uneven ground yet. But if you are looking for an actual good hitch step Ive been rocking this one for a while now and its solid as a rock, you can even recover off of it. I would just recommend an anti rattle hitch attachment for it.

camodog

Adventurer
I have not used on uneven ground yet. But if you are looking for an actual good hitch step Ive been rocking this one for a while now and its solid as a rock, you can even recover off of it. I would just recommend an anti rattle hitch attachment for it.

We use this same one, love it. It’s taken a beating on the trail too

Stevieb.o.g

Has anyone had the awning installed on the right, passenger side? wondering since it’s automatically installed on the left side which is the driviers side in NA but in SA it is the passenger side.… wondering if it would be more useful on the right/ NA passenger side.

dvivian

Haven't had any issues. I live at 9k feet and have used up to 11k with no issues at all. I imagine propane draw is slightly higher, but never had an issue with function.

Aleja_333

Haven't had any issues. I live at 9k feet and have used up to 11k with no issues at all. I imagine propane draw is slightly higher, but never had an issue with function.

Good to hear that. That was my thought too, propane draw would be higher but I wanted to make sure the system would still operate properly.

Has anyone had the awning installed on the right, passenger side? wondering since it’s automatically installed on the left side which is the driviers side in NA but in SA it is the passenger side.… wondering if it would be more useful on the right/ NA passenger side.

Well, I think the question of usefulness (driver versus passenger) is really a matter of personal preference & the way you tend to use your rig. It can be done though, even though the AC dealers don't generally offer it as an option. It's really just b/c they have decided on one mfg set up in terms of all their accessories. No one likes sell lots of options/custom stuff anymore sadly.

I chose to mount it passenger side b/c my original intent was that the awning would cover our bikes when swung out from the rear. That unfortunately didn't work out though b/c they sit too high and don't clear the awning arms, which was a real bummer. I do like though that if we are pulled off the road somewhere we can pop out the awning b/c it is away from the road even though it is probably not going to be a situation that comes up very often. That being said, the process of mounting it passenger was not a huge deal with the right brackets and some measuring before you drill holes. You also do not get the benefit of the fancy branch/wind deflector b/c they don't make it for anything but driver side.

IMG_6307 copy.jpg

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland

I’ve used the past week at near 10k without any issues. The only issue I have with the Dickenson having used webasto diesel/gas and a hydronic system before is the lack of a thermostatic control. I also feel that the fan in the unit to be lacking. I have used a scirocco fan near the unit to offset this. There are of course bonuses beside ambience and that imho is the lack of using cabinet space. Install on either until besides hydronic are not difficult.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
For those with Gladiator I’ve worked with UpTop overland on a solution. Some minor tweaks are needed on the fairing but I think we have it down pat. No issues with clearance with my Zarges cases either. Ability to also remove to use freedom tops without a big ordeal. Modular in setup. IE can get flat or with specific type mounts like I have. For example modularity besides built in handles and side lights. Is that You can set it up with custom fairing for your light bar. I amusing a Baja Designs XL Link Light. I will also be working on a solution to hold two waivan fuel cans in the middle rack for my extra diesel and if I can work it a 2.5g def. I will use a small 12v transfer pump that works with the waivan and other German style cans. I am at overland expo west camping out by the overland expo Erie fr if anyone would like to look at it. Although this is a specific mount for the gladiator it will work with different mounts for other platforms. Pics attached.

Attachments

• 90B576A1-CB7D-495D-8176-DB276EC2980B.jpeg
    90B576A1-CB7D-495D-8176-DB276EC2980B.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 88
  • BA9F3F2E-3789-4183-8B4E-8DE11003ACFB.jpeg
    BA9F3F2E-3789-4183-8B4E-8DE11003ACFB.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 91
  • F963D267-B074-47EE-A54A-4D8AAF519442.jpeg
    F963D267-B074-47EE-A54A-4D8AAF519442.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 3CBF5F35-55A7-4240-84FF-2CA81FD9AC68.jpeg
    3CBF5F35-55A7-4240-84FF-2CA81FD9AC68.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 57F6449D-A3E9-4FDD-8ECB-66088BEDBBB6.jpeg
    57F6449D-A3E9-4FDD-8ECB-66088BEDBBB6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
For those with Gladiator I’ve worked with UpTop overland on a solution. Some minor tweaks are needed on the fairing but I think we have it down pat. No issues with clearance with my Zarges cases either. Ability to also remove to use freedom tops without a big ordeal. Modular in setup. IE can get flat or with specific type mounts like I have. For example modularity besides built in handles and side lights. Is that You can set it up with custom fairing for your light bar. I amusing a Baja Designs XL Link Light. I will also be working on a solution to hold two waivan fuel cans in the middle rack for my extra diesel and if I can work it a 2.5g def. I will use a small 12v transfer pump that works with the waivan and other German style cans. I am at overland expo west camping out by the overland expo Erie fr if anyone would like to look at it. Although this is a specific mount for the gladiator it will work with different mounts for other platforms. Pics attached.

Very interesting. So is this a modified version on one of their existing racks? Can you speak more specifically about what it takes to install/remove? It looks like a great option for carrying cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles