Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
WeBoost will work fine for us. It's just to extend cell/text service a little more. The inReach is for texting family when were off-grid, which is most of the time.
I’m following. And gotcha 100%. Only reason we where looking into other unit is where we plan to travel in the future. I need connectivity at some level to send updates for our stop veteran Suicide project on the road. At least be able to share photos every now and then with videos at least a weekly Occurrence email where we have to stop in town. I haven’t ruled out the weboost personally, and still may go this route with the RV style external antenna. We will see as I have a little time to get this one figured out!

Bushmaster5K

I’m following. And gotcha 100%. Only reason we where looking into other unit is where we plan to travel in the future. I need connectivity at some level to send updates for our stop veteran Suicide project on the road. At least be able to share photos every now and then with videos at least a weekly Occurrence email where we have to stop in town. I haven’t ruled out the weboost personally, and still may go this route with the RV style external antenna. We will see as I have a little time to get this one figured out!
That's the WeBoost I will be installing. Will let you know how it goes.

Frusteri4

Really cool campers on here.

Im wondering if anybody has the dimensions of the mattress not including the little back flip down, also is there a gap on the sides of the mattress, or what is the absolute inside width from tent wall to tent wall? How much is the difference at the very front vs the back of the big mattress, as i noticed the front tapers in a bit.

Also, who is going to be the millionaire that comes up with an insulation kit for these. Has anybody at least tried any diy insulation?

How long do the little 11# propane tanks last for the p9000 fireplaces? Has anybody tried mounting the propane tank on the same side as the fireplace? It looks like there could be enough space. Is there a reason why this wouldn't be advisable.

Last edited:
Really cool campers on here. Im wondering if anybody has the dimensions of the mattress not including the little back flip down, also is there a gap on the sides of the mattress, or what is the absolute inside width from tent wall to tent wall? How much is the difference at the very front vs the back of the big mattress, as i noticed the front tapers in a bit.

Also, who is going to be the millionaire that comes up with an insulation kit for these. Has anybody at least tried any diy insulation?

I think the main bed platform measures 54"w x 80" l. I am using one of these Exped mattresses (https://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-duo-10-lw-green) in ours which fits snugly side to side. Enough so that we usually have to do a little poking of the tent to get it to close right without pinching in the lid, but the comfort of the mattress is worth it.

So far, no insulation package for the tent (or otherwise) has been offered that I know of. The tent is very heavy material though for one. Lots of folks out there have done DIY insulation to the shell/structure if not the tent though. There is a German YouTuber who has some pretty extensive videos on insulating his CC for winter activities and I would say he has done by far the best, but even he hasn't added a layer to the inside of the tent from what I can tell.

jimdisc

I'll chime in on the propane usage. I slept in the camper for three nights over Thanksgiving weekend with night time temps ranging from 25-35. I ran the fireplace on low for one night (the night it was 35) and high the two nights it was in the 20's. It was on from 7pm to 7am. The only thermometer I had with me was "downstairs" and it was between 45-50 each morning when I got up but "upstairs" was way warmer - fine to sit up there in just a t-shirt. The last morning I stopped at a hardware store and refilled the 11lb tank and it took 5.5lbs. This is with no insulation downstairs at all. I plan to work on that after my windows are installed next month.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
I think the main bed platform measures 54"w x 80" l. I am using one of these Exped mattresses (https://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-duo-10-lw-green) in ours which fits snugly side to side. Enough so that we usually have to do a little poking of the tent to get it to close right without pinching in the lid, but the comfort of the mattress is worth it.

So far, no insulation package for the tent (or otherwise) has been offered that I know of. The tent is very heavy material though for one. Lots of folks out there have done DIY insulation to the shell/structure if not the tent though. There is a German YouTuber who has some pretty extensive videos on insulating his CC for winter activities and I would say he has done by far the best, but even he hasn't added a layer to the inside of the tent from what I can tell.

I have seen others using the bedrug material for insulation and plan myself to go that route. They use the classic bedrug for the bed. Then order a few of the 2019 Dodge Ram Tailgate sets and cut them up to fit into place. I reached out to them as I am local to see if they can come up with a custom solution or worst case just offer a roll of the 1/4 with enough material to do it ourselves.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
This said Ive been thinking about using the following products to make up some panels for the campers. Have seen the Steven Aufreisen Videos and gave some great insight about things I didnt think of like the Wiring Channels being insulated. He used something like 2inch foam to do that. But here are the product I will use to make the panels.

Fabric Sunbrella or something similar. Looking for Water Repellant, Stong and good wear resistance as well as resistant to mold. Hence looking at fabrics used in boats. Will also check with upholster for some options here. These will incapsulate each panel with someflat rear fabric for the backing, can add velcro panels on the front to hang some things and use strips on the back sewn into it like a pillow. But I would use acetone activated velcro on the camper side
Amazon.com: Sunbrella Marine Dinghy 44405-0001 Grey, Fabric by the Yard

Insulation, a good foam type and some radiant type insulation. I would combine these together for each panel.
Reflective Insulation Shield, Heat Shield, Thermal Insulation Shield 16"x50ft, 16''x100ft, 24"x50ft, 24"x100ft, 48"x50ft, 48"x100ft. (16" x 25FT) - - Amazon.com
Sponge Neoprene W/Adhesive 12in Wide X 1/4in Thick X 54in Long: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement (probably will look for something wider)

Havent figured out the best way to do the bed yet.

Mtpisgah

I have the tailgate bedrug on the bulkhead and it works well. I put 1/2” foam insulation board on the floor, the windows, and back door. It helps a lot. The floor has a Lowe’s rug on it also, but it does not do much for insulation.

As a test I put my last piece of 1/2” insulation in one of the lower back panels (6”x18” or so). that night I put my hand on both sides and the difference was amazing. Comfortable to the touch vs freaking cold.

I also have the AluCab mosquito screen/canvas panel which do help.

I plan to get a full bedrug for the bed next winter to insulate the bottom even better and to insulate the wheel wells and bed walls. Those are hard to insulate any other way.

Attachments

• A037F85B-D875-4A33-9783-625F86AB7A87.jpeg
    A037F85B-D875-4A33-9783-625F86AB7A87.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 175

Frusteri4

Also, what is everyone experiencing for a decrease in fuel mileage, as these are a semi permanent option. Anybody with a third gen tacoma with a manual specifically? Maybe just the Tacoma 3.5L auto? And has anyone been able to regain some mileage with a cab-roof-wind deflector?

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Also, what is everyone experiencing for a decrease in fuel mileage, as these are a semi permanent option. Anybody with a third gen tacoma with a manual specifically? Maybe just the Tacoma 3.5L auto? And has anyone been able to regain some mileage with a cab-roof-wind deflector?

no semi-permanent option with the canopy camper. The canopy's recommended install time is somewhere around 9 hours to install with sealing the camper. Can be done quicker. Secondly Realistically it wasnt made with the option to take off like that. You have two options with Alu-Cab Products, full camper go Kaya Camper. I saw one this weekend very nice setup. Secondly go with the Canopy and add a roof top tent you can remove when not using. Some have added wind deflectors to help with the buffeting.

Mtpisgah

no semi-permanent option with the canopy camper. The canopy's recommended install time is somewhere around 9 hours to install with sealing the camper. Can be done quicker. Secondly Realistically it wasnt made with the option to take off like that. You have two options with Alu-Cab Products, full camper go Kaya Camper. I saw one this weekend very nice setup. Secondly go with the Canopy and add a roof top tent you can remove when not using. Some have added wind deflectors to help with the buffeting.

Yeah, there are times I wish I had bought a Kaya instead.

Frusteri4

Dont want another rooftop tent and not interested in the khaya. I like the canopy camper. I just want to know the decrease in fuel mileage if anybody has turd gen tacoma experience.

Last edited:

seekoutbeauty

I got back between 1 and 1.5mpg when I put my Sherpa rack on.
Give our shop a call and we can get you set up with the correct length.
www.tinyrigco.com
657-400-2009

colbs

Hi All,

Couple questions.

Does anyone have the GP Factor windows installed on their canopy camper? What's your review and if you installed them yourself, how was that?

And does anyone know the bolt size for rooftop slot channels off the top of their head? It could be M8...

Best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier