Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

dvivian

I live in Colorado and have used it regularly at high altitudes, even above 10,000 feet.

I did have one scare and it was on my most recent trip which was high altitude just over 10k. Take this with the caveat that it is not hooked up to electricity yet and therefore is not running with the fan. Had the camper fully zipped up and closed. Went to sleep. About 4 hours in, the carbon monoxide detector went off. It said 74 parts per million. Not deadly, but definitely not safe and I assume it would have continued to rise. I turned everything off and vented the camper. I used it again the next night with the camper window slightly vented and the detector never read above 0.

I have noticed I need to clean the window of the heater somewhat regularly due to carbon build-up. I installed this myself so I could have made a mistake but then again, it had never been an issue before. I've probably had it running a total of 20 nights or more. Not sure what is going on and I am a bit gun shy with it now. Definitely going to vent until I can experiment by just letting it run when I'm not in it.

I think I'll be able to debug the issue. It is 100% worth it though. I love it and it makes the camper very comfortable.

Thanks a lot for the intel! I'm also in CO (live at 9k feet in summit county) and while I don't forsee any super long trips in the dead of winter, it would be nice to get out for some quick nights to backcountry ski with heat which it sounds like would be totally feasible and still easier to deal with than a diesel heater or something of the sort despite being a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

kthompson

We have the CC mounted up on a 3rd Gen Tacoma - DCLB. I am curious if any Tacoma owners have experienced water leaking into their truck bed? Rainy season has started here in the PNW, and we have water coming in from the front drivers side corner. Passenger side seems to be sealed, with no water drips.

We had a similar issue when we had a standard canopy/topper installed, and were hoping that we would be able to eliminate this issue with the CC.

Any pointers on fixing the issue and avoiding a few hour drive back to the dealer?

seekoutbeauty

stuff it with butyl tightly and do some sikaflex over the butyl to seal it well.

We have the CC mounted up on a 3rd Gen Tacoma - DCLB. I am curious if any Tacoma owners have experienced water leaking into their truck bed? Rainy season has started here in the PNW, and we have water coming in from the front drivers side corner. Passenger side seems to be sealed, with no water drips.

We had a similar issue when we had a standard canopy/topper installed, and were hoping that we would be able to eliminate this issue with the CC.

Any pointers on fixing the issue and avoiding a few hour drive back to the dealer?

armoured

Question - I've seen the Alu-Cab Canopys from 1-2 years ago and it seems like they all have the pull out shower arms (with no fabric) opposite of the optional table slide out. Are they no longer including this in the newer builds? As I see that they have their own all-in-one shower mount that looks like a small awning.

Thinking about ordering one of these and just wanted to see the differences I've been noticing. This pull out would be great for drying clothes for me. Thanks!

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
stuff it with butyl tightly and do some sikaflex over the butyl to seal it well.

This is my biggest issue with Alu-cab. I live in Seattle and rain is not my friend when it comes to my camping setup (Alu-cab tent on truck canopy)
I was one of the unfortunate ones to get a Gen 2 (known build quality issue leaky tent) and have to re-seal it at least once a year with Sikaflex.
IMO For the money they charge having to regularly slather parts of a setup in Sikalex doesn't seem to be something I should have to do.

But maybe I'm just grumpy as yesterday I opened up the tent the day before I was supposed to head out on a trip and my mattress was soaked ?

Maybe it doesn't rain in South Africa?

timsuchocki

Close yourself in the CC on a bright sunny day and look closely at all of the seams where it meets the truck bed. If you have a leak, you'll likely see sunlight shinning through. I had a few VERY small leaks right after mine was installed, but a touch of silicon sealer in the spots where I saw light solved my problems.

Another thing to consider is that there are drain holes in the Tacoma bed near the front wall. They are very small but water can get in there. Did yours get sealed up when your CC was installed? I sealed mine before I dropped the truck off for installation, so I'm not sure if they do it as part of the install.

abenteur_co

Thanks a lot for the intel! I'm also in CO (live at 9k feet in summit county) and while I don't forsee any super long trips in the dead of winter, it would be nice to get out for some quick nights to backcountry ski with heat which it sounds like would be totally feasible and still easier to deal with than a diesel heater or something of the sort despite being a bit more expensive.

I have also noticed that like any propane device it doesn't burn as efficiently at high altitude. The exhaust will smell more of propane than it does at lower altitude. I've done some research and apparently lowering the propane pressure at the regulator can solve that but I haven't tried yet. It isn't necessarily harmful its just a waste of gas and of course you're just naturally going to get less heat with less combustion too.

Random question for all you ACCC owners. I received this notice (see pic) from the HOA in my community in Washington State. I do not own the home but rather rent from a property management company that is completely separate from the HOA. Have any of you guys received a notice like this and if so could you offer any advice on the matter? My truck will not fit inside my garage and sits in the driveway alongside my other car which is a Subaru Impreza. My truck IS NOT registered as an RV.

I heard a "thud" on my porch this morning and didnt think anything of it, when I go outside the front door I see the notice sitting on my porch...I just wish the HOA idiots would get a life and stop messing with residents over the dumbest ********.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 142

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Random question for all you ACCC owners. I received this notice (see pic) from the HOA in my community in Washington State. I do not own the home but rather rent from a property management company that is completely separate from the HOA. Have any of you guys received a notice like this and if so could you offer any advice on the matter? My truck will not fit inside my garage and sits in the driveway alongside my other car which is a Subaru Impreza. My truck IS NOT registered as an RV.

I heard a "thud" on my porch this morning and didnt think anything of it, when I go outside the front door I see the notice sitting on my porch...I just wish the HOA idiots would get a life and stop messing with residents over the dumbest ********.

First, you need to decide how much you want to fight. You may have some options, but often the "cost of being right" isn't worth it when it comes to living in a neighborhood. HOAs are good at using the pain they can inflict to stimulate compliance, even if they aren't always legally in the right.

Second, I would find out if you have been provided a copy of the CC&Rs (or whichever document has the "Declaration"). If you haven't been officially given a copy of the rules, it gets iffy on whether it can be enforced. Since you rent from a management company, this is more complicated than normal. THEY were most likely given the docs, and YOU may have signed something that says you will "follow the rules", but unless you have a copy of the exact rules - who is to say whether you're in compliance or not?

Third, you could try opening a dialog with the HOA. If you haven't been given the CC&Rs, I would mention that and ask them for a copy. Do this with a certified letter, as it establishes a good-faith attempt to understand compliance. The one thing you shouldn't do is just ignore it.

Ultimately, it may come down to "you or the truck", and that goes back to step One: Decide how much the fight is or isn't worth it.

Personally, I moved out of an HOA neighborhood in 2006 and would never consider going back to one, but I'm privileged to have the choice.

Yeah I did receive the CC&Rs from the property management company. Our lease is up in about 7 months thankfully so we would just have to deal with temporarily storing my vehicle at my inlaws house which is only about a 15 minute drive away. I figured since this vehicle was not registered officially as an "RV" and I do actually daily drive it that there could be some legal loophole to sidestep this "rule". Its funny I have lived in HOAs off and off for years and they seem to always find something I do against their rules. Before it was brewing beer out of my garage at another residence, now this..... but this is the final straw, never again.

I appreciate the reply and I am just trying to stay calm and look at my options.

UPDATE*

I called the HOA and had a friendly conversation with them regarding the notice. I told them it was a daily driven truck with a pop top tent camper on it that I use for camping on the weekends. They said thats all they needed to know so hopefully this will be in my rearview mirror now going forward. For the record I HATE HOA NOTICES! ?

Last edited:

Phreak480

Army Guy
Yeah I did receive the CC&Rs from the property management company. Our lease is up in about 7 months thankfully so we would just have to deal with temporarily storing my vehicle at my inlaws house which is only about a 15 minute drive away. I figured since this vehicle was not registered officially as an "RV" and I do actually daily drive it that there could be some legal loophole to sidestep this "rule". Its funny I have lived in HOAs off and off for years and they seem to always find something I do against their rules. Before it was brewing beer out of my garage at another residence, now this..... but this is the final straw, never again.

I appreciate the reply and I am just trying to stay calm and look at my options.

UPDATE*

I called the HOA and had a friendly conversation with them regarding the notice. I told them it was a daily driven truck with a pop top tent camper on it that I use for camping on the weekends. They said thats all they needed to know so hopefully this will be in my rearview mirror now going forward. For the record I HATE HOA NOTICES! ?

Glad it worked out, sounds like they are more worried about commercial vehicles with shells on them, big RVs, boats, etc. And yeah HOAs are horrible, they are typically high school style politics and bs.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Working with rin now to get the canopy Camper ordered and with the folks over at goose gear for the interior. I have the measurements between the cabinets and looks as if I could even mount a CFX100. Curious what others are using for fridge here? Can not mount it in my Gladiators cab as my service animal “valor” will have that space with the seat delete and doing the 100% to give her and our other put some extra room. Going with the high delete kit from Goose-Gear to have some storage there.

A few other questions since reading the post:

- what size exped mattress are people using? I am a side sleeper and need something with good cushion
- just picked up the redarc redvision/manager 30 system to control everything, running a Battleborn 200ah lithium for our storage, with two overland solar 130watt panels as well as a redarc 150 watt portable panel when needed or if my redundency of using two panels fail. Question is where is the best place to put this equipment, will have the goose gear solution installed. I figured the batteries can go up near the bulkhead, and the manager 30 can go anywhere. But the redvision would need some sort of capability to access if the fuse blows. Like the idea of having just a single controller for everything and the ability to control everything from my phone if need be. Things like controlling my inverter which isnt used often by the redvision, or if wanted to monitor the water tank levels, to switches for the lights, to being able to even control the ignition or digital accessories. A bonus is able to set hard limits on power usage to be able to protect my lithium batteries from 100% discharge. As well as all the functions gained by the Battery Management system. Its expensive I give you that, but simplifies things in the end when you learn it and easier for my spouse to use and troubleshoot errors as well.

-camper insulation - have seen the use of the bedrug solution for the camper. Im going to talk to them about making some sort of kit. I am a few hours away from them. I have seen others mention the newer style goose gear wont work with the floor mat by bedrug? is this across the board or just vehicle specific? We have a Jeep Gladiator. What other solutions is anyone using? Anyone figure out a solution for the upper portion like adding a second wall for the upper tent like Kifaru does with their teepees?

- For the awning side of the camper what are people using for tables? I though about the snowpeak IGT used in this area for a cooking setup, with a Tembo tusk grill and one of the single type snowpeak charcoal grills, you can mount a table to the setup and looks like it packs down pretty fast. If we wanted something quick could always use a portable stove on the GP factor table or the very interesting Expedition Essentials Exo Table that can store a duel partner stove.

- talking about kitchen space has anyone considered or mounted one of the 12v travel ovens? My wife loves to cook and has mentioned that she would like something like this?

- looking to add a water pump to the water tank. What solutions besides the one Rin posted have others done? what have others done for hot water like one of the on demand propane systems? I was thinking about mounting one permanently on the passengers side in a Pelican case I have.

- water tank. With the insulation can you insulate the bulkhead area before the water tank? Any issues with Freezing in the tank in belwo zero temps? If so has anyone insulated the tank or added a heating pad to prevent freezing in below freezing temps. What about water lines. I saw at least one issue with the gravity drain. Then mentioned draining the line and also talked about insulating the line. If so did it help? what about some type of insulated cover for the drain like used on a house but made out of aluminum with insulation.

I am sure I will have some more questions as I get things underway. We will be doing some unique things here in our build and trying to work out some solutions that will only make the options better for your camper. Especially since we will be living in the camper for at 3 months next year during one trip. I know there is another who will have me beat but hey its all I can do... Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

@rin my wallet is super hot, just waiting for you to call back to get things rolling.

Some of the amazing manufactures that I have seen that have made purpose built accessories for the Alu-Cab canopy camper. In no order
GP Factor
813 Fabrications
Expedition Essentials

Are there any more out there I haven't seen yet?

We did also pick up a very cool folding firepit from Artemis Overland made by Summit Overland. I though it was the perfect fit for places where we cannot have a fire without one. Also looking for chair options. I really like the Kermit style of Chairs, what else is there?

Last edited:

Bushmaster5K

Working with rin now to get the canopy Camper ordered and with the folks over at goose gear for the interior. I have the measurements between the cabinets and looks as if I could even mount a CFX100. Curious what others are using for fridge here? Can not mount it in my Gladiators cab as my service animal “valor” will have that space with the seat delete and doing the 100% to give her and our other put some extra room. Going with the high delete kit from Goose-Gear to have some storage there.

A few other questions since reading the post:

- what size exped mattress are people using? I am a side sleeper and need something with good cushion
- just picked up the redarc redvision/manager 30 system to control everything, running a Battleborn 200ah lithium for our storage, with two overland solar 130watt panels as well as a redarc 150 watt portable panel when needed or if my redundency of using two panels fail. Question is where is the best place to put this equipment, will have the goose gear solution installed. I figured the batteries can go up near the bulkhead, and the manager 30 can go anywhere. But the redvision would need some sort of capability to access if the fuse blows. Like the idea of having just a single controller for everything and the ability to control everything from my phone if need be. Things like controlling my inverter which isnt used often by the redvision, or if wanted to monitor the water tank levels, to switches for the lights, to being able to even control the ignition or digital accessories. A bonus is able to set hard limits on power usage to be able to protect my lithium batteries from 100% discharge. As well as all the functions gained by the Battery Management system. Its expensive I give you that, but simplifies things in the end when you learn it and easier for my spouse to use and troubleshoot errors as well.

-camper insulation - have seen the use of the bedrug solution for the camper. Im going to talk to them about making some sort of kit. I am a few hours away from them. I have seen others mention the newer style goose gear wont work with the floor mat by bedrug? is this across the board or just vehicle specific? We have a Jeep Gladiator. What other solutions is anyone using? Anyone figure out a solution for the upper portion like adding a second wall for the upper tent like Kifaru does with their teepees?

- For the awning side of the camper what are people using for tables? I though about the snowpeak IGT used in this area for a cooking setup, with a Tembo tusk grill and one of the single type snowpeak charcoal grills, you can mount a table to the setup and looks like it packs down pretty fast. If we wanted something quick could always use a portable stove on the GP factor table or the very interesting Expedition Essentials Exo Table that can store a duel partner stove.

- talking about kitchen space has anyone considered or mounted one of the 12v travel ovens? My wife loves to cook and has mentioned that she would like something like this?

- looking to add a water pump to the water tank. What solutions besides the one Rin posted have others done? what have others done for hot water like one of the on demand propane systems? I was thinking about mounting one permanently on the passengers side in a Pelican case I have.

- water tank. With the insulation can you insulate the bulkhead area before the water tank? Any issues with Freezing in the tank in belwo zero temps? If so has anyone insulated the tank or added a heating pad to prevent freezing in below freezing temps. What about water lines. I saw at least one issue with the gravity drain. Then mentioned draining the line and also talked about insulating the line. If so did it help? what about some type of insulated cover for the drain like used on a house but made out of aluminum with insulation.

I am sure I will have some more questions as I get things underway. We will be doing some unique things here in our build and trying to work out some solutions that will only make the options better for your camper. Especially since we will be living in the camper for at 3 months next year during one trip. I know there is another who will have me beat but hey its all I can do... Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

@rin my wallet is super hot, just waiting for you to call back to get things rolling.

Some of the amazing manufactures that I have seen that have made purpose built accessories for the Alu-Cab canopy camper. In no order
GP Factor
813 Fabrications
Expedition Essentials

Are there any more out there I haven't seen yet?

We did also pick up a very cool folding firepit from Artemis Overland made by Summit Overland. I though it was the perfect fit for places where we cannot have a fire without one. Also looking for chair options. I really like the Kermit style of Chairs, what else is there?
ExPed duo 10 is what we use. I also sleep on my side.
Front runner table on the back door.
We like the Nemo stargazer chairs.

In the process of installing 2 battle born GC2 & 16 water tank in between the fender wells. Battle Born solar panels, 3 ea 115 watt on the roof. WeBoost etc, etc.

You will not regret purchasing the Alu-cab! Awesome product.

Good luck with your build. Safe travels.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
ExPed duo 10 is what we use. I also sleep on my side.
Front runner table on the back door.
We like the Nemo stargazer chairs.

In the process of installing 2 battle born GC2 & 16 water tank in between the fender wells. Battle Born solar panels, 3 ea 115 watt on the roof. WeBoost etc, etc.

You will not regret purchasing the Alu-cab! Awesome product.

Good luck with your build. Safe travels.

For my booster I am looking at the Nextivity / CE-FI Go G32 and using a RFI Technology CDQ7195 Antenna. The Weboost is second on my list. Though although from what I have seen the CE-Fi is a much more robust and stronger booster. The Weboost is definitely the value leader between the two.

Bushmaster5K

For my booster I am looking at the Nextivity / CE-FI Go G32 and using a RFI Technology CDQ7195 Antenna. The Weboost is second on my list. Though although from what I have seen the CE-Fi is a much more robust and stronger booster. The Weboost is definitely the value leader between the two.
WeBoost will work fine for us. It's just to extend cell/text service a little more. The inReach is for texting family when were off-grid, which is most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier