Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Bark40

Is there a defined weight limit on the rear door? I’m mounting a full spare but would also like to rig up a bike mount like others have said.
I am thinking the same thing. I've been searching but not finding the weight limit.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Definitely like to know about weight on the back door. Plus if it is a light wheel set, can it handle a 35” or 37” and still open to 90deg.

We use the Megamat Duo 10 LW plus a 2" Big Agnes Hinman pad and on top is a Big Agnes Dream Island 15 doublewide sleeping bag. If it's really cold a down comforter on top of that. Open the valves on the pads and the lid closes on all that stuff.

So you are using the Megamat LW (the one that is 77 x 52) in your ACCC correct? I was worried about the wider 52" dim since the stock mattress is only 48. Just wanted to make sure b/c the LW seem to be the only ones you can get your hands on right now.

Hourless Life

Sorry about that! The 5' bed model base unit is 385lbs and the 6' bed model 415lbs.

The full swing rear door is a total game changer, one of those things that once you use it you truly realize the difference.
Sorry a bit confused. I know you posted these weights in 2018. On your website you mention 462.9lbs dry weight and 551lbs fully kitted for the Jeep Gladiator. Were the weights you gave above for a specific platform?

Thanks!

Eric

colbs

Really love what OK4WD did with water storage here. While I like the Alu-Cab bulkhead water storage solution, I was hoping to keep that space free to either mount things or generally keep the space more open. The only issue with OK4WD's solution may be the water freezing at lower temps. Not sure.

Maybe I don't understand the Exped mattress's completely. I know they are mix of foam & air, but do they self inflate? I just don't want to have to pump up a mattress to get ready for bed. When I pop the top & pull the bed down, I want it 100% ready to go, so I want to use the best mattress I can that will fit when inflated.
Yes it is self-inflating with one valve for inflating and another for deflating. It also comes with a clever little hand pump made of fabric to top it off if you want. Open the tent, open the inflate valve, finish setting up camp, and it will be done when you are ready. I have had all manner of sleeping pads over the last 55+ years and this is by far the best and most comfortable.

jimdisc

Finally got the Dickenson stove installed! Rin and GP Factor did a great job engineering this install kit, was worth the wait. Also a special thanks to ROKO Vehicles for doing the install. SOOOOOOO nice to finally have heat ;)

That looks great. Looking forward to mine. Any idea what the temp was outside when you show 62.9 inside?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I’d really like to put to bed the questions of weight and tire size.

How much does the canopy camper weigh before any add-on?

Can the rear door handle a 35/37 and still open to 90deg?

seekoutbeauty

Camped with the fireplace.
It was showing 29F on the dash when we turned the truck off at midnight.
Camper was around 70F in an hour or so. (Lowish setting and no Fan - Fan wasn't wired up in time)

Agreed on the ambiance... There is something special about having a flickering flame.
If you are gonna camp in some really frigid temps, but want the flickering flame, I would recommend a buddy heater to take the chill out of the camper and get things up to temp, and the Dickinson can run all night.

I have some plans to add some insulation to the camper. Keep in mind, this is a giant aluminum box, and aluminum is really good at being effing freezing when it's freezing out. Additionally, the water tank has become just about the coldest thing in the camper (You will never get the back wall warm once 13 gallons of water is cold). You can feel the cold radiating from the water tank.
If the water tank wasn't such a pain to install/remove, I would prob throw some insulation behind it. I have some plans to add some to the front of the tank.

I am guessing it was in the mid to low 20s that night and the Dickinson with no fan did a really good job of keeping us comfortable. I wasn't hot, but I was in a -30 Coleman extra large sleeping bag, with no extra blankets, in shorts and a tshirt, with no socks... I woke up a few times and saw the light flickering... I was pretty happy.

The gravity feed on the water tank has frozen up on me 3 times now. It typically defrosts fairly quickly, but it is something that I would like to solve for. (This happened with the Dickinson on as well) It may be worth wrapping the line in something, but I highly doubt that will work. The best solution may be to drain the line before going to sleep.

We also added a full size Roof Rack from Sherpa https://sherpaequipmentco.com/shop. It fit incredibly and really made a different in how the truck looks. The maxtrax fit awesome in front of it and the GNARLY wind noise I had is completely gone. I really want to see if I can squeeze the table in now.

Obligatory Photos from the over nighter:

Camp (Peep the Chimney)
AgM75qD.jpg

Johnson Valley
quL2j4k.jpg

Bark40

Some of you, like, me were looking for a solution to mount bikes to the spare tire. I found a solution. A spare tire receiver by Gamiviti. http://www.gamiviti.com/spare-receivers I installed this and the bolts lined up perfectly. I did have to cut the center threaded screw. I then inserted my 1UPUSA rack, and tested out with a bike (my son's bike), and the rack clears the side (see pictures), so doesn't get in the way. Neither the racks or bikes are that heavy. I don't think I would put 4 bikes on (I have extensions for the 1UPUSA) as that is a lot of weight hanging back and stress on the door, but two bikes shouldn't be an issue.

Attachments

• 20201126_104044_HDR.jpg
    20201126_104044_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 20201126_104050_HDR.jpg
    20201126_104050_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
  • 20201126_104118_HDR.jpg
    20201126_104118_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • 20201126_104119_HDR.jpg
    20201126_104119_HDR.jpg