Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

kthompson

I'm sure it is buried somewhere in this thread, but on the 5' bed model, how long is the front portion of the bed platform? Just wonder if at 5'10" I could sleep on that front portion without pulling down the back portion of the bed.

Curious on the same thing and this dimension for a 6ft bed as well.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
That would be nice. What I'm hoping is I could either remove the small platform all together, or at least leave it up most of the time.

My wife generally needs to answers nature's call a few times a night and the easier it is for her to get up and down while half asleep, the better.

Clinton Morse

That would be nice. What I'm hoping is I could either remove the small platform all together, or at least leave it up most of the time.

My wife generally needs to answers nature's call a few times a night and the easier it is for her to get up and down while half asleep, the better.
I usually just leave it up at night. If you remove it, some of the tent material might tend to hang down into the bed area when closed, inhibiting access during the day. I don't have the short pad up there though, I've repurposed it into a bench down below.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
That's good feedback. Noted. Smaller platform would now, more than likely, stay but without the pad.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I usually just leave it up at night. If you remove it, some of the tent material might tend to hang down into the bed area when closed, inhibiting access during the day. I don't have the short pad up there though, I've repurposed it into a bench down below.
The other solution to this that I've seen was someone who modified the small platform into two or three separate pieces - they could be placed when the top was down to keep the tent material from drooping, but were easier to stow out of the way for sleeping so that you didn't have to "get past" the platform when climbing down.

hksjza70

I'm jumping on the backup camera thread. My camera is mounted under the door and the bike rack blocks my view. Is there an extension cable that would allow me to relocate the backup camera?

I also have the Rostra wedge camera located above the CC door, below the brake light. It comes with an extension harness.

I purchased it off of Ebay, many of the websites that list it don't have it in stock.

hksjza70

What is everyone running for rear suspension on their Tacomas? I upgraded my rear suspension to Old Man Emu HD 660 lbs constant load springs. I have a small fridge/freezer and some water in the back. I recently had it in my shop for an alignment after changing the front coils to heavier duty as my front was sagging after upgrading to OME, and the shop said the leaf springs were already sagging pretty good. I can notice it. Also, anyone re-geared their 3rd Gen for driving in the mountains (Colorado). We just bought a Sequoia for my wife and it is amazing in the mountains (v8 of course). My 3rd Gen is constantly hunting for gears. Or any thoughts or upgrades you've done to manage? Thank you.

I'm running Deaver U402 stage 2. I've only had them for a few weeks - I don't think the truck settled at all before and after the CC install. I have yet to full load with a fridge and equipment, but I am hoping it comes down a bit. The truck is sitting a bit high for my personal taste.

I'm also looking to re-gear and also live in Denver. Based on tire size, I'm sure I could get away with the 4.88, but I don't see why I wouldn't just jump up to the 5.29's since it's a decent amount of constant weight back there. We also drive to LA every year and that trek across Utah on I-70 has been 4th gear doing 75 for a brutal four or five hours straight - with just a fiberglass shell and gear! I swear it's uphill both ways!

That's good feedback. Noted. Smaller platform would now, more than likely, stay but without the pad.
I made shelves from thin plywood. They live under the sleeping pad and deploy on either side when the tent goes up. I leave the headboard up at night for easy ingress/egress and still have a place to hold nightstand items.IMG_2330.jpegIMG_2330.jpegIMG_2331.jpegIMG_2334.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Help Needed: In thinking the canopy camper through, I was wondering if there are any pics of the following combo:
  • Billet Sliver Gladiator
  • Silver/unpainted Alu-cab canopy camper
  • Or
  • Any color Gladiator with a color matched canopy camper....except black of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles